Are we underestimating M. Bennett? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are we underestimating M. Bennett?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mad benjamin » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:28 am

I think the Vikes will at least maintain Smith, Moore and probably Williams. Ned will never see a lick of playing time behind all the backs they have now, so who cares if he stays or goes, and when was the last time Bennett was healthy?

The problem becomes this; if WE know that Bennett is injury prone, then I'm sure other teams know this as well. With guys out there like Alexander, Edge and Henry at the end of the year (and Ricky possibly to make his way back into the league), this would drop Bennett's trade value dramatically.

If you're honest with yourself, Bennett had one good season a couple years ago and several injury-plagued ones. How can a guy establish himself as anything but overrated if he can't sniff the field? It doesn't mean he doesn't have skills; it just means his potential won't be realized.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:37 am

why does it matter? I personally would shop Bennett over Smith, but as long as they have moe and moore, they should be a solid team no matter how they run. I would personally trade Bennett only if good value was put up... which makes a Smith trade more inticing... Smith might bring in a nice 2nd rounder and a vet at a position lacking for the Vikes...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hammerwx » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:00 am

A sincere thank you to all of those Bennett, Moore, Williams and Ned believers out there.

Thank you for leaving O. Smith on the waiver wire for me to pick up.
hammerwx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:07 am

Article in todays Star Tribune (sorry forgot to copy the link) has Tice saying it looks like Moore is healing slowly and it might be best to rest him this week since O.Smith is back. Tice went on to say that both O.Smith and Bennett will spilt carries with both getting their fair share.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:10 pm

You cant believe a word Tice says. So I don't believe him when he says the carries will be split evenly.

Bennet is a good back, but Smith is just better. He has better vision, he makes sharper cuts and he doesnt give much away to Bennet in breakaway speed. Bennet's speed is world class, but Smith isnt easy to catch either.

From what I've seen, Bennett can hit the hole amazingly, but he struggles to let the hole develop. He also is poor at freezing linebackers and setting up his second level blocks. He has the talent to do this, but he has missed so much time already, that his rapport with the O-line isnt quite what Smith's is.

The kiss of death to Bennett is the fact that while Smith is a slightly better runner than Bennett, he is a far superior receiver. The added dimension of Onterio's receiving skills makes him the better pick.

As for who will spell Onterio, I'd say those carries will be split between Bennett and Moe Williams depending upon the game situation. Williams is the clock back, and Bennett is the catchup back.

The bottom line here is that everybody loves Bennett for his measurables and his potential. But he hasnt translated it to the field the way the other Viking backs have. That is why the best contribution he can make right now is returning kickoffs.
QB - Manning, Ben Roth, Campbell
RB - Henry, T Jones, D Ward, B-Jax, Betts, B Jacobs, Selvin Young
WR - Lee Evans, Colston, Driver, Cotchery, Brandon Marshall
TE - Heap
K - Elam
DEF - Chicago
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby citti34 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:18 pm

If you have to start one of these guys this week you're in a bad situation. It's funny when people say,"Bennet had good numbers before he got hurt." What time? I have Bennet on my roster, but I doubt he'll start for me soon.
citti34
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Showtyme5 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:10 pm

I'm starting Bennett at the flex this week.......mostly because its a toss-up between him and Stallworth. But, I'm betting he puts up solid numbers AND gets the bulk of the carries.
Showtyme5
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk