If 1 pt./reception, where does Garner rank? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

If 1 pt./reception, where does Garner rank?

Moderator: Football Moderators

If 1 pt./reception, where does Garner rank?

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:58 am

If each reception gets you one point, how far does Garner climb up the top backs? How would the top--say 10 or 15 backs--shake out?
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jedidiah1 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:11 am

Getting those points puts him into the top 15 imo, not top 10. There are too many other backs that get 50-60 receptions plus way more carries to have him be considered a premiere back. Losing the goalline carries hurts no matter what scoring system you use.
jedidiah1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby yoda83 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:22 am

in our league, RBs get 1pt for every 2 receptions. and garner was #10 last year in terms of pts/gm (18.4 in case you were wondering). 1pt for EVERY reception? probably would've been #8, possibly #7 last year.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am

Crazy, huh? I tried to fight it, but everyone wanted to add that in this year. I have a feeling the Commish (a friend) likes to add things to give him an edge, thinking he's the only one who thinks about this stuff. (He's wrong.)

Anyway, how would it change the top backs, then? Would you draft Garner in this system over Fragile Fred, Ahman Green, Edge? Tiki would also be huge in this system, right?
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby DUKE » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:56 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Crazy, huh? I tried to fight it, but everyone wanted to add that in this year. I have a feeling the Commish (a friend) likes to add things to give him an edge, thinking he's the only one who thinks about this stuff. (He's wrong.)

Anyway, how would it change the top backs, then? Would you draft Garner in this system over Fragile Fred, Ahman Green, Edge? Tiki would also be huge in this system, right?

1 pt. per reception is not that uncommon. I see pretty many leagues w/ this format. I'm in 2 leagues this year w/ it.
I don't think Garner will have as good of a fantasy season as he did last year, but he should still give you a nice consistent number of points from his receptions. I don't think I'd put him in the top 10 though, even w/ that scoring.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Poobah » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:05 am

I play in a 1 point per reception league, but the league also uses TDs as 6 points, so Garner finished 11th in 2002, and I don't think he'll be quite as good in 2003. I have him projected 15th or so this year, behind Ahman Green, Tiki (who runs for more yards and scores more often), Taylor, and Edge.
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby yoda83 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:16 am

Last year, our RB top ten (pts/gm) came out like this:

1)P.Holmes 32.3
2)L.Tomlinson 24.8
3)R.Williams 24.2
4)D.McCallister 21.2
5)C.Portis 19.5
6)T.Henry 19.5
7)S.Alexander 19.4
8)A.Green 19.3
9)M.Faulk 19.0
10)C.Garner 18.4

Just eyeballin it, garner may have cracked our top 5 last year with the bonus for receptions. That being said, i'm still not sure i would take him top 5 this year, only b/c portis actually averaged 23.3/gm in the 12(?) games he started last season.

but i would definitely grab garner before green and taylor in your draft. barber im not as sure about. and i would still take edge before charlie. i got a feeling james will be back to form (or pretty close to it).
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:41 am

Garner was the #7 RB in my league last year (points for yardage, but not receptions). Going into '03 in a league that gives points for receptions (and yardage), I'd say Garner is somewhere in between 5 and 10.
Last edited by 9er Fan on Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:54 pm

I doubt he'd go that early.

I might try to grab Tiki and Garner at 10 and 19 in my keeper draft (already have Portis). I don't think people will take Garner early and I think I can get him later than usual.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Dude_ffc » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:15 pm

Yeah, I think Garner is valuable is this format. I agree that 1 point per rec. is not that uncommon, we do it in my league. This format makes rb's who catch a lot of passes more valuable, obviously. Garner is in for a BIGGER year this season. He is the centerpiece of a very potent offense. Why wouldn't you want the guy who touches the ball the most in the most potent offense? Don't get me wrong, I hate the raiders! But I love Garner as a ff player in a format where rec.'s are counted.
"That rug really tied the room together."
The Dude_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk