opposite thought...what one-hit-wonder you wish... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

opposite thought...what one-hit-wonder you wish...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:20 pm

Chopper wrote:Ram Jam - Black Betty was awesome - must have been something else in there?

LOL I was gonna mention these guys too. It's the only song I know they did, so I wasn't sure if they had more big hits that I hadn't heard of.
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:17 am

J2thez929 wrote:
ljthockey wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
Others that need to be mentioned...

Lit (ok... so they had 2-3, but still)
The Ataris
All-American Rejects

Booo all american rejects? man we dont need anymore crying little emo boys. Although I think it was you that kept talking about SR-71 but I liked Politacly correct the best I had there cd but I dont know what happened to it.

I would exclude The Ataris from your list b/c they aren't one hit wonders. I mean, just because they aren't really mainstream doesn't mean that they are one hit wonders. They have 4 cds out so how can they be one hit wonders...

Yes, it was me talking about SR-71.

And I'm aware the Ataris have had many CDs {didn't know it was 4...). But my definition of a one-hit wonder would be a band which has had ONE hit. In the Atari's case, I meant one big hit (Boys of Summer... a cover, I may add). Think about this... Blink 182 didn't get their first big hit until their fourth CD... so yes, you can be a one-hit wonder with 4 CDs. Maybe we have different definitions...

And yes, I do like some emo. What can I say? At least I'm honest.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:39 am

Wall of Voodoo ... technically they put out some other stuff, but never got beyond 'Mexican Radio' despite some cool sounds.

Special tip of the cap to the obviously old-school Chopper on Blind Faith and Rossington Collins.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby DUKE » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:37 pm

Nice call on Big Star Cuna. Blind Faith was another good mention. I have the infamous album with the naked chick on the front. The definition of "one hit wonder" can be subjective I suppose. Some bands actually went away after a hit and others continued to make good music, despite never gaining mainstream success. Here's a few: Blind Melon, Faith No More, Love and Rockets, The Breeders.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:34 pm

I agree with Duke. I would like to hear another single or two from Blind Melon and I wish Orgy came out with another hit besides Blue Monday! ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chopper » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:39 pm

Blind Melon was somehow unable to overcome certain death issues. Unfortunately, their singer OD'd.
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby sharptongued1 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:52 am

Chopper wrote:Blind Melon was somehow unable to overcome certain death issues

and fat girls dancing in bee costumes....
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:05 am

I have to go with two of my favorites: Tiffany and Debbie Gibson.

They rock.

Yes, Tiffany had a couple hits, and Debbie had a number of them. I still can't get over the crush I had on her
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sharptongued1 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:36 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:I have to go with two of my favorites: Tiffany and Debbie Gibson.

sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:36 am

Yoda...Nice!

I remember being in Vegas a couple years ago and Tiffany was there in concert. She still looked good.

As for how she sounded. haha. well that's a different story. But it was a blast.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk