Handcuffing Eddie. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Handcuffing Eddie.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Handcuffing Eddie.

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:37 pm

If you were thinking about it...consider this.

Titans - RB Brown May Miss Preseason
Jeff Legwold, The Tennessean

The Titans didn't get the news they were hoping for yesterday on running back Chris Brown, who suffered a hamstring pull in his left leg during practice Sunday afternoon. Coach Jeff Fisher said an MRI yesterday revealed a "significant injury," but it's not bad enough to require surgery. Fisher said Brown may miss most of the preseason.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:19 pm

I debated about handcuffing him to his back-up. I decided against it. His foot is healthy. He doesn't miss games, and he plays with pain.

I see a good year from Eddie. His yards per carry has sufferred because of his feet and a poor line. The line hasn't really been improved, but it sounds like there is a lot of work being done on the running game in camp. If they perform as an average group, Eddie will do the rest.

I handcuffed Lamont Jordan to him, and probably made the Martin owner a little nervous. B-)
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Slingblade » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:33 pm

yeah..eddie is a solid workhorse....he still has a couple more 1000yd 7-10td seasons...solid #2 RB on a Fantasy team
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:38 pm

I think handcuffing is only meant when you grab the #1 & #2 RBs from any team.What you did with Jordan was handcuff yourself,if CMart doesn't go down,which has never happened really,you only have a backup RB.With all the talk out of NJ,Jordan will get some looks but should Curtis keep up his ways,LJ has no FF value to you...bye week filler at best.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:23 am

All good points.

I chose Jordan because the payoff is bigger if there is an injury. I don't really draft back-ups fearing injury to my squad. Taylor/Mack last year was an obvious time to handcuff. My thinking is if Eddie gets hurt, his back-up options are: Holcombe, a short yardage back, and Brown, a rookie who is now injured and will miss valuable camp time. Holcombe would be the obvious choice. I don't think the Titans have a good O-line, and Holcombe would probably struggle anyway. If Martin gets hurt, I have another starter at RB, who has shown he is capable of filling in.

When it comes to the last few guys on your roster, it is mostly back-ups and WR's you don't want to start.

There's been articles de-bunking the handcuff theory altogether. I take it on a case by case basis, and am more likely to gamble on another owners player getting hurt than my own all other factors being equal. I also generally have access to all NFL games and a computer while I work, so if Eddie gets hurt, I can probably still grab his back-up, who is virtually worthless to anyone but me.

Based on their individual values, Jordan is more valuable. I let that dictate who I take in this situation. I would also take Larry Johnson or Lamar Gordon before grabbing Eddie's back-up.

Just a different way to fill out the last few spots on a roster. Sometimes, the owner of the guy your pick is carrying the jockstrap of will offer you more than your pick is worth. At the very least, they are usually thinking about acquiring him from you somehow.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk