Chris Perry's situation discussion. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Perry's situation discussion.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chris Perry's situation discussion.

Postby Favre.com » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:48 pm

Perry was brought in as a 3rd down back who would likely replace Rudi in the future. After the contract problems and injuries Perry is finally healthy enough to play...except he is getting no touches. Whats going on? I don't see Rudi bieng resigned after this year he is not playing as a contract year player right now. Perry will likely take over full time, but in order to get him ready I think they need to give him some touches this year. Will he see touches THIS year? Will Rudi be resigned? What do you see in Perry's future?

Discuss. ;-D
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Commish » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:51 pm

It all will depend on the team's situation. I'd imagine if Cincy's completely out of the picture in Week 14-15, we'll see Perry.

There's going to be an abundance of FA RB's and RB's via the draft available, I don't think it's a shoe-in that Perry will start next year (or ever in Cincy). Rudi won't be expensive for a starting NFL RB.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:13 pm

Perry has been hurt all year, and is inactive for this game.

If he can get healthy, you will more and more of him as the year goes on. Rudi is going to be demanding a huge contract (but nobody will pay him a huge one b/c there will be a ton of available RBs this offseason). Perry is already making more than Rudi, so look for Perry to be the man next year. Unless of course he cant get healthy and they can get Rudi for cheap
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:37 pm

It appears that Perry has been redshirted this season.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Chris Perry's situation discussion.

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:04 pm

Favre.com wrote:Perry was brought in as a 3rd down back who would likely replace Rudi in the future. After the contract problems and injuries Perry is finally healthy enough to play...except he is getting no touches. Whats going on? I don't see Rudi bieng resigned after this year he is not playing as a contract year player right now. Perry will likely take over full time, but in order to get him ready I think they need to give him some touches this year. Will he see touches THIS year? Will Rudi be resigned? What do you see in Perry's future?

Discuss. ;-D

Rudi is gone, no doubt. They never would have drafted a back first if they planed on resigning Rudi. I dont think there is a need to give perry touches this year to get him ready for next, plenty of rookie backs make impacts in the NFL right away. What do I see in Perrys future? I see him featured next year, but they need to do some serious O-lin work or his numbers are going to resemble Barlows numbers this year.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flux » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:08 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Favre.com wrote:Perry was brought in as a 3rd down back who would likely replace Rudi in the future. After the contract problems and injuries Perry is finally healthy enough to play...except he is getting no touches. Whats going on? I don't see Rudi bieng resigned after this year he is not playing as a contract year player right now. Perry will likely take over full time, but in order to get him ready I think they need to give him some touches this year. Will he see touches THIS year? Will Rudi be resigned? What do you see in Perry's future?

Discuss. ;-D

Rudi is gone, no doubt. They never would have drafted a back first if they planed on resigning Rudi. I dont think there is a need to give perry touches this year to get him ready for next, plenty of rookie backs make impacts in the NFL right away. What do I see in Perrys future? I see him featured next year, but they need to do some serious O-lin work or his numbers are going to resemble Barlows numbers this year.

Our o-line really isnt bad, we've just had some injuries
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Commish » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:43 pm

They don't want to see what Perry's got this year?? Huh??

For a guy that's been active what, 2 games, they won't go into next year w/o seeing what he's got first.

Way too early to say Rudi's gone. If you look at the FA RB situation and what's available in the draft, Rudi isn't going to get a huge contract. Like I said, I expect him to return at a rate equal to some of the game's lesser RB starters (whatever that figure may be).
------
Here's what will be available this offseason (at a minimum):
Ricky Williams (which takes away 1 NFL RB starting spot)
Edgerrin James
Shaun Alexander
Travis Henry
Ronnie Brown
Cadillac Williams
Cedric Benson
Anthony Thomas

The fact that Rudi doesn't have great trade value (like Thomas above) will help Cincy's cause for resigning him. He will be paid equal to some of the salaries of the lesser NFL starting RB's (whatever that figure should be).

You can't assume that Perry will be given the job. Especially after their whole Kijana Carter debacle.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Football Newbie » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:28 pm

Flux wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

Discuss. ;-D

Our o-line really isnt bad, we've just had some injuries

Yes, due to some "legal" chop blocking and such. Freakin Broncos.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Ek » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:24 am

The_Commish wrote:Here's what will be available this offseason (at a minimum):
Edgerrin James
Shaun Alexander
Travis Henry
Ronnie Brown
Cadillac Williams
Cedric Benson
Anthony Thomas

To add to that info, here are the teams that could be looking for starter-calibur RBs this offseason.

Eagles (Westbrook is injury prone and they'll be looking to improve, possibly back to an RBBC :-t , following another NFC championship loss)
Cowboys
Bucs
Seahawks (assuming SA is gone, and Morris could step in)
Cardinals (Emmitt can't go another year, can he?)
49ers (unless Barlow turns it around)
Colts
Browns
Broncos (although they could just run a random fan for 1,000 yds if they have to).
Raiders
Dolphins

Add one of the Vikings RBs and Rudi to that first list and you have 10 RBs, and the second list has ten teams. However, some of those teams won't have cap room to take on a big contract, and the more than half of those teams could reasonably decide that they are ok with what they've got. All of the other starting RB positions are spoken for, and nobody's paying big $ for a backup or RBBC member. As others have mentioned, it doesn't look like a great offseason for an RB to get a big contract.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Favre.com » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:43 pm

Ek wrote:
The_Commish wrote:Here's what will be available this offseason (at a minimum):
Edgerrin James
Shaun Alexander
Travis Henry
Ronnie Brown
Cadillac Williams
Cedric Benson
Anthony Thomas

To add to that info, here are the teams that could be looking for starter-calibur RBs this offseason.

Eagles (Westbrook is injury prone and they'll be looking to improve, possibly back to an RBBC :-t , following another NFC championship loss)
Cowboys
Bucs
Seahawks (assuming SA is gone, and Morris could step in)
Cardinals (Emmitt can't go another year, can he?)
49ers (unless Barlow turns it around)
Colts
Browns
Broncos (although they could just run a random fan for 1,000 yds if they have to).
Raiders
Dolphins

Add one of the Vikings RBs and Rudi to that first list and you have 10 RBs, and the second list has ten teams. However, some of those teams won't have cap room to take on a big contract, and the more than half of those teams could reasonably decide that they are ok with what they've got. All of the other starting RB positions are spoken for, and nobody's paying big $ for a backup or RBBC member. As others have mentioned, it doesn't look like a great offseason for an RB to get a big contract.

I don't agree with most of those options:

Eagles will have a healthy Westbrook and Buckhalter, they don't need a 3rd RB in there.

Cowboys have Julius Jones as the future.

Bucs will have Pittman and Garner.

Cardinals: Shipp will be the guy if Emmit leaves, I guarantee it.

49ers: Barlow is the only hope for this team, and he has talent.

Broncos: Are you kidding? They got about 3 backs that can all get 1,200 yards easily!

Browns: Allready got 2 decent backs, won't want a 3rd one.

Dolphins: They brought in Gordon to be the man, I'm pretty sure they can handle the load.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Next

Return to Football Talk