Where would you like to see Brees go? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Where would you like to see Brees go?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby work4beerz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:41 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I know he won't go to Buffalo...they've got J.P. Losman waiting in the wings. He's their future QB, and he will probably start the last few games of this year just to see what he looks like during a regular season game.

What have you seen in Losman that shows that he is their future.
work4beerz
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JrcWy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:42 pm

work4beerz wrote:I would think:
Washington
Chicago
Dallas
or Buffalo.

Chicago, Dallas, and Buffalo all have young future prospects set aside in Grossman, Henson, Losman. Washington and Green Bay are good speculation though.

I'll pull out the wild card and guess he could land in Arizona...3 great weapons to work with there too.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:46 pm

Though the Ravens are the team that REALLY should try to sign him (Boller is making Ozzie Newsome look quite foolish tonight as usual), I see the bidding coming down to two main teams, maybe 3.

If I had to bet on it, I'd put him in Washington next year. Now a Favre retirment makes this a bidding war, but Snyder is the front-runner in any bidding war.

Oakland is the only other team I see pursuing Brees, but it is contingent on how poorly Collins performs in the 2nd half of the season.

Washington has every component in place for a dominant team, but Brunell has been like a debilitating plague to that offense this year and he has singlehandedly downgraded them to a mediocre team. The only moves that must be made this offseason for te Skins are to retain Smoot and sign Brees and you will see a new NFC East champion next season.
QB - Manning, Ben Roth, Campbell
RB - Henry, T Jones, D Ward, B-Jax, Betts, B Jacobs, Selvin Young
WR - Lee Evans, Colston, Driver, Cotchery, Brandon Marshall
TE - Heap
K - Elam
DEF - Chicago
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby work4beerz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:50 pm

Grossman, Henson, and Losman. Would you want that to be your future. How many games have they won between them.
Maybe Grossman because of the Money, but that would be it.
work4beerz
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby JrcWy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:56 pm

work4beerz wrote:Grossman, Henson, and Losman. Would you want that to be your future. How many games have they won between them.

It is that sort of mentality that got San Diego in this situation in the first place. Not every guy out there is a Dan Marino or Big Ben. If San Diego had been more patient, they could have used their 1st round pick on someone who could now be contributing. QBs can take a few years to develop in the NFL and its hard to label Losman, Hensen, and Grossman all busts this soon. Only last season, people were calling Brees the second-coming of Ryan Leaf. But Brees has really done well after the growing pains. My point, Dallas, Buffalo, and Chicago will allow their young guys to go through those growing pains too before making any big moves.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:58 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Talked about this last week, but oh well.

I know he won't go to Buffalo...they've got J.P. Losman waiting in the wings. He's their future QB, and he will probably start the last few games of this year just to see what he looks like during a regular season game.

GB is perfect for Brees. He loves to throw and can chuck the ball. Favre has been doing it for years, and he's had a pretty good career. They have WR's like Javon Walker and Driver that love to get those deep bombs. Depending on how long Franks keeps playing, they have a pretty good TE that has been a red zone threat for years. Plus, they have Ahman Green who can help control the game and also catch out of the backfield (not as well as LT, but he's still good).

Brees actually has a very week arm. I dont seem him throwing the 50 yard bombs that Favre does, but Driver and Walker and Fergy and Franks all are pretty good in those mid to semi-long routes
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:58 pm

work4beerz wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:I know he won't go to Buffalo...they've got J.P. Losman waiting in the wings. He's their future QB, and he will probably start the last few games of this year just to see what he looks like during a regular season game.

What have you seen in Losman that shows that he is their future.

From what I saw during the preseason, he looked pretty good. Yes I understand that was probably against sub-standard competition, but he was sharp. He threw pinpoint passes to several receivers on both sides of the field, he was very mobile (had a 30 yard run in one game), and he stook in the pocket and took his pops and still completed several passes. The guy looks like he has big-time potential.

We know Bledsoe isn't going to be there much longer. I really don't think it'd be a smart move to sign a guy like Brees as a possible "quick fix" when you've got a first round QB with talent that you want to get into the flow of the NFL.

The weak arm thing...maybe it's weak in distance, but in college he threw 60-70 passes a game which to me is a pretty good workout! ;-D
Last edited by Mercer Boy on Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:59 pm

work4beerz wrote:Grossman, Henson, and Losman. Would you want that to be your future. How many games have they won between them.

You have a couple 1st round picks invested in those guys...that seems like a LOT to me ;-7
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby work4beerz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:01 pm

True it is better to pass on a good proven QB and cross your fingers that someone who has done nothing will be worth a lot of money. But it is not like any of those teams are winning, so what do you have to lose.
work4beerz
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:18 pm

work4beerz wrote:True it is better to pass on a good proven QB and cross your fingers that someone who has done nothing will be worth a lot of money. But it is not like any of those teams are winning, so what do you have to lose.

work4beerz wrote:I would think:
Washington
Chicago
Dallas
or Buffalo.

WAS, CHI, and BUF all won this week. Are Ramsey, Grossman and Losman really any worse than Brees?

Brees has had what? a couple good game and now he is this 'proven' QB who can lead all teams to victory? So basically, you want to invest millions upon millions of dollars into 2 QBs instead of 1? And the one you are bringing in will be a year or more behind in understanding the system, has to find chemistry w/ the new players, and you already have millions tied up in his backup for the next 5 years? yeah, thats a great idea ;-7
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk