Where would you like to see Brees go? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Where would you like to see Brees go?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:51 am

caneblood wrote:Are you guys nuts?

Anyone know the percent of 1st round QB's who are actually successful - pretty low. What makes Phillip Rivers have a better shot at success then the other 1st round QB's? He hasn't proven anything yet.

Why would San Diego give up Brees for Rivers when Rivers has less then a 50/50 chance at being a starter quality QB (let alone Pro Bowl caliber)? Keep the QB who is showing that he's got skills and trade away Rivers. I just can't imagine San Diego letting Brees walk.

Imagine what their fans would do if they let go of Brees and then Rivers turns out to be a bit better than say Akili Smith or Cade McNown.

Good point, but why would the Bengals bench Kitna for an unproven "rookie?"

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:53 am

work4beerz wrote:Because your statements are just wrong.
Winning with backups?
3 and 5 a winning record. Not Quite.

My statements are wrong about having all your money in one position? Why would you pay 2 QBs huge money? How does that make sense?

All I said is that all 3 teams won last week w/ subpar QBs. I never said they were playoff bound. I like how you pick and choose what to respond to though, nice touch ;-D

Fact of the matter is, the NFL is a business. If you invest money into a player/position, you are pretty much obligated to stick w/ them. In WAS they gave up a TON of money to Brunell, who obviously is not playing well at all. He does not deserve to be in there, but if they put in Ramsey or Tim Hasselbeck, the entire organization looks foolish on their investment. WAS is also plagued w/ an injured o-line, and they are running a new system compared to last year.

BUF is geared toward the future and already traded next years 1st rd pick for Losman. No way they try and get Brees, thats nonsense considering they are paying Losman 1st rd money and Brees would demand a huge contract.

CHI also spent a 1st rd pick in Grossman, they are learning a new system there as well. You have to cut teams/QBs breaks when they are thrown into a completely new situation.

If you put all this money into 2 players you are killing your team elsewhere.

1) Will these teams even have the money to pay Brees?
2) Do they have other needs that would better benefit their teams?
3) Do they already have a capable QB or replacement?
4) Do they have the time/patience for Brees to learn their system?

These are the important questions to ask and quite frankly, for those 3 teams, it just doesnt make sense.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hastur » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:16 am

Oakland or Miami would be a good fit
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby benm3218 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:20 am

I know everybody will trash me for saying this, but I'd love to see him in Nashville. Trade McNair and free up cap room, get another great WR and a few defensive players.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Steve_ffc » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:09 pm

I think he will end up a Dolphin. He will have Chambers, Booker, Mcmicheal, and Boston all to throw too. Man talk about weapons. I dont know if we will see James there, but if not they will have the first pick to draft one of the big name backs. And to top off all that offensive talent the Dolphins will fire Wanstadt and hire none other than the offensive genuis STEVE SPURRIER to coach them. FUN-N-GUN DOLPHINS!!! Now they have to find an O-line
Winning Isn't Everything, It's The Only Thing!!!
Steve_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:17 pm

Steve wrote: And to top off all that offensive talent the Dolphins will fire Wanstadt and hire none other than the offensive genuis STEVE SPURRIER to coach them. FUN-N-GUN DOLPHINS!!! Now they have to find an O-line

Great so Brees will be ruined half way through next year under Spurrier!

Miami does some like the logical choice.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Purple_Pride » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:55 pm

personally id like to see him go straight to hell. the jerk has killed me in my league 2 week sin a row, he beat me, got traded and beat me again. ive had enough of mr. brees.

as for the NFL, he's gonna be a free agent who so id say he ends up in washington.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby arrbez » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:07 pm

Blitzburgh2001 wrote:Though the Ravens are the team that REALLY should try to sign him (Boller is making Ozzie Newsome look quite foolish tonight as usual)

honestly, every time i see the ravens play i wonder how kyle boller still has a job. there MUST be a better QB on waivers somewhere.

just imagine baltimore if they had even an average offense. they should have been after kurt warner in the offseason
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:11 pm

Putting Brees on the Ravens would be awsome. Top 10 offense and #1 defense: that makes a super bowl contender!! ;-D
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby caneblood » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:03 pm

Good point, but why would the Bengals bench Kitna for an unproven "rookie?"

Because Kitna is older and has had his time to shine. He is not the future and doesn't have the upside of Palmer.

But Brees is still young and I just don't see how anyone can say that Rivers has more upside. Brees is only 25 and progressing VERY well.

Put it this way, if we were to take a survey of NFL GM's and ask them who they would rather get Brees or Rivers, I think the answer would unanimously be Brees. However if you ask the same question with Kitna and Palmer, Palmer would get plenty of votes (even while he's struggling) because he's younger and hasn't tapped his potential yet.

So why woul SD keep Rivers over Brees. They can trade Rivers and get a very high draft pick (and would be free of any future salary commitments to Rivers). They can't trade Brees because he'll be a free agent (it would cost $10M to give him the franchise tag). The only reason to keep Rivers is that management feels bad about the $14MM signing bonus they gave him (but they have to realize that's a sunk cost).

Option 1) Tag Brees and resign him. Trade Rivers for a high 1st round pick. End up with Brees and a top 15 draft pick.

Option 2) Let Brees walk and keep Rivers. End up with Rivers.

Would you rather have Brees and a top 15 draft pick or just Rivers?

Heck SD could package that top 15 pick with their own 1st and move up to the top of the draft. As a Miami fan I would love for us to trade down and get 2 1st rd picks that we could use on Eric Winston and another OLinemen.
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk