Where would you like to see Brees go? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Where would you like to see Brees go?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:12 pm

caneblood wrote:
Good point, but why would the Bengals bench Kitna for an unproven "rookie?"

Because Kitna is older and has had his time to shine. He is not the future and doesn't have the upside of Palmer.

But Brees is still young and I just don't see how anyone can say that Rivers has more upside. Brees is only 25 and progressing VERY well.

Put it this way, if we were to take a survey of NFL GM's and ask them who they would rather get Brees or Rivers, I think the answer would unanimously be Brees. However if you ask the same question with Kitna and Palmer, Palmer would get plenty of votes (even while he's struggling) because he's younger and hasn't tapped his potential yet.

So why woul SD keep Rivers over Brees. They can trade Rivers and get a very high draft pick (and would be free of any future salary commitments to Rivers). They can't trade Brees because he'll be a free agent (it would cost $10M to give him the franchise tag). The only reason to keep Rivers is that management feels bad about the $14MM signing bonus they gave him (but they have to realize that's a sunk cost).

Option 1) Tag Brees and resign him. Trade Rivers for a high 1st round pick. End up with Brees and a top 15 draft pick.

Option 2) Let Brees walk and keep Rivers. End up with Rivers.

Would you rather have Brees and a top 15 draft pick or just Rivers?

Heck SD could package that top 15 pick with their own 1st and move up to the top of the draft. As a Miami fan I would love for us to trade down and get 2 1st rd picks that we could use on Eric Winston and another OLinemen.

very good points cane ;-D

They were actually talking about this over at rotoworld. Why not trade Rivers to a struggling team? Brees already knows this offense and is gelling w/ all his weapons. This team is nothing like the bengals, they arent building for the future, their future is now.

Unless Rivers has been absolutely amazing in practices and has learned every bit of this offense, I see no reason not to try and trade him over Brees. Brees also wont be nearly as good on a new team that he would have to learn the entire system over again and find out what his weapons are capable of.

I mean hell, Brees is being considered for MVP this year. Has any MVP or MVP candidate just been let go the next year for an inexperienced backup? Thats crazy
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:36 pm

work4beerz wrote:Because your statements are just wrong.
Winning with backups?
3 and 5 a winning record. Not Quite.

Chicago Bears with Craig Krenzel: 2-0.
Id like to see him in San Diego, because I have Gates in a keeper and a dynasty. I don't need Phillip "Sucks" Rivers ruining my genius picks. Id just dump Rivers now. You can cut people unlike in baseball, so tell him to screw off. I hate Phillip Rivers. He sucks so hard.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:01 pm

caneblood wrote:Are you guys nuts?

Anyone know the percent of 1st round QB's who are actually successful - pretty low. What makes Phillip Rivers have a better shot at success then the other 1st round QB's? He hasn't proven anything yet.

Why would San Diego give up Brees for Rivers when Rivers has less then a 50/50 chance at being a starter quality QB (let alone Pro Bowl caliber)? Keep the QB who is showing that he's got skills and trade away Rivers. I just can't imagine San Diego letting Brees walk.

Imagine what their fans would do if they let go of Brees and then Rivers turns out to be a bit better than say Akili Smith or Cade McNown.

Or say... a Ryan Leaf? I say its doubtful... Rivers is very smart, experienced (most collegiate starts for a NCAA-1A QB), accurate and a great leader. He'll do fine. Besides, they're paying him enough... he won't be benched after this year. Its common knowledge in SD that Brees is on his way out. People here still don't respect Brees as SDs future... so sadly he's gone. See my above list as to where.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:03 pm

Cane... I agree with you... you're preaching to the choir. I'm merely stating Schotty's views. But I've been a Brees backer since he was drafted.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DraftDodger » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:46 pm

>>>
Are you guys nuts?

Anyone know the percent of 1st round QB's who are actually successful - pretty low. What makes Phillip Rivers have a better shot at success then the other 1st round QB's? He hasn't proven anything yet.
<<<

I'll echo this sentiment. None of the quarterbacks in the last three Super Bowls were first round choices. In fact, Warner and Delhomme were free-agent pickups. You also have Brady who has appeared twice (6th rd pick), Brad Johnson (9th rd pick), and Rich Gannon (4th rd pick).

Hilariously, four years ago, we had a Super Bowl with two 1st round quarterbacks ... Trent Dilfer and Kerry Collins.

Dilfer threw for 153 yards and 1 TD.

Collins threw for 112 yards and 4 Interceptions (NY's only score was on a kickoff return).
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk