Could Larry Johnson have looked worse? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Could Larry Johnson have looked worse?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Ek » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:12 am

I don't know how much stock I put in Blaylock's YPC being higher than Priest's, considering that Blaylock gets most of his carries either

- when he is coming in in relief and can go full-out for two or three plays, or
- in blowouts where the other team is already pretty much demoralized (like the ATL game).

These are the best possible situations for a high YPC. Priest runs in pretty much every situation, and also gets a lot of goal-line/short yardage work which brings the YPC down. While Priest may not be the best back at any one facet of the game (except maybe setting up blocks), I think in terms of total package there are only a few guys that are close...LT and maybe Shaun Alexander are there, Marshall was there in his prime, Jamal Lewis isn't a very good reciever, Edge is horrible in short-yardage, Portis doesn't even know that people are trying to block for him, Tiki Barber hasn't put a whole year together yet, McAllister isn't durable and has yet to be anything but the best player on a bad team, and Ahman Green fumbles too much. While Priest would certainly not produce as much in another system, I think that other RBs who would produce as much as Priest in his system (which I admit is perfectly suited to his style) are few and far between.
Before you take anything I say too seriously, be aware of the fact that Derrick Mason, Cadillac Williams, Reuben Droughns, Jason Witten, and Mike Bell are all on my team this year!
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:20 am

Ek wrote:I don't know how much stock I put in Blaylock's YPC being higher than Priest's, considering that Blaylock gets most of his carries either

- when he is coming in in relief and can go full-out for two or three plays, or
- in blowouts where the other team is already pretty much demoralized (like the ATL game).

These are the best possible situations for a high YPC. Priest runs in pretty much every situation, and also gets a lot of goal-line/short yardage work which brings the YPC down. While Priest may not be the best back at any one facet of the game (except maybe setting up blocks), I think in terms of total package there are only a few guys that are close...LT and maybe Shaun Alexander are there, Marshall was there in his prime, Jamal Lewis isn't a very good reciever, Edge is horrible in short-yardage, Portis doesn't even know that people are trying to block for him, Tiki Barber hasn't put a whole year together yet, McAllister isn't durable and has yet to be anything but the best player on a bad team, and Ahman Green fumbles too much. While Priest would certainly not produce as much in another system, I think that other RBs who would produce as much as Priest in his system (which I admit is perfectly suited to his style) are few and far between.

I agree, Edge and Portis aren't that great. There a product of their system (or former system, in CP's case). Manning is always using play action, so the defense has to be ready for a pass even if it looks like Edge is getting a carry. No way Edge would see the space he does if the Colts didn't have one of the best passing offenses in recent memory.

As for Blaylock, he mostly only got time against ATL (#1 in rush defense) and a bigger number of his carries have been goalline carries compared to Priest. I don't think his YPC is a fluke.
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk