yahoo scoring question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

yahoo scoring question

Moderator: Football Moderators

yahoo scoring question

Postby Nooner » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:59 am

I have the detroit lions defense and they were charged with giving up 17 points this week; however, one touchdown for washington came on a blocked punt returned for a touchdown. Do blocked punts for touchdowns usually result in points against a defense?

On a side note, I know that if a team gives up an interception or fumble return for a touchdown, it doesn't count against the defense, so I don't understand why a block punt returned for a touchdown would.

Thanks.
Nooner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chopper » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:51 am

There was some talk about this last year. I don't know for certain, but I believe that the difference is that for an INT or FR, the offense is on the field and responsible, thus DST (Defense/Special Teams) doesn't get credit (or responsibility). For a blocked kick or punt, DST is directly responsible and points are correctly counted against.
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:55 am

Chopper wrote:There was some talk about this last year. I don't know for certain, but I believe that the difference is that for an INT or FR, the offense is on the field and responsible, thus DST (Defense/Special Teams) doesn't get credit (or responsibility). For a blocked kick or punt, DST is directly responsible and points are correctly counted against.

Agreed. ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nooner » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:31 am

thanks for the clarification.
Nooner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AtlFan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:50 pm

that makes no sense to me......4th down is an offensive play....you can either go for it or kick it away.....if a running back fumbles the ball on 4th down and the other team scores on the play it doesn't count against the defense.....why should it count against them if their punter gets blocked.....the defense had nothing to do with it......i also played the lions d this week and it is costing me five points to jump from 10 to 17....unbelievable!!!
AtlFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ljthockey » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:17 pm

Yeah I got screwed with that kick return against Baltimores Defense like that well not really like that but it still isnt there defense its special teams.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk