Ethics Part 2 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ethics Part 2

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ethics Part 2

Postby Mr.Joshua » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:23 pm

This was part 1 posted earlier this morning...

First ethics....my opponent left Mike Vick in this week instead of starting Brees, dont ask me why maybe b/c he has 1 win this year. Already the other guys are talking it up just like I would. There is nothing in the rules about this. Like adding in Brees' points or something like that. Should the commish do something about this or will I just get lucky? With Brees in, I would have no chance tonight.

Part 2
I was just contacted by the commish and was told that my opponent had eamailed him his lineup change by phone 9:30am Sunday morning b/c he was out of town. My opponent said that he totally forgot about it all week. If he was going to be out of town and he sent an email to the commish earlier in the week and the commish forgot to change his team, then I would eat the loss. But Sunday morning? I think its BS. I need some ammo from you guys to plead my case...thanks
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 226)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:29 pm

I'm a proponent for never changing things after the fact. It is his fault for not setting his line-up ahead of time. The commish is also at fault here because he didn't make the changes before game-time. It doesn't make sense to punish you because of your opponents lazyness and the commish's incompetence.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BeefSandwiches » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:31 pm

First, what time are your lineups due? If they are due before Sunday then the discussion ends there but if they are due before games start then the guy may have a case.

If he contacted the commish prior to the start of games, the lineup changes should stand but the commish should have contacted you as well. You are within your rights to ask for proof that changes were submitted in time. You said he emailed them by phone...maybe I'm not up with technology, but this sounds fishy.

You need to take into consideration the relationship you have with these guys. If they are your buddies, tread carefully; but if they are bending you over, f' em.

Sounds to me that the commish is at fault. If changes were submitted, it is his job to let you know what they are. If changes were not made and he is letting this happen, relieve him of his duties.
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mr.Joshua » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:34 pm

line-ups are due 5 minutes before each players game starts. I dont fault the commish b/c he wasnt given a phone call to check his email....he didnt happen to check it sunday due to some other commitment.
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 226)

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:37 pm

hmmm....sounds like your commish needs to get his act together or you need to find a new league

In the league I run ....I not only require line-ups turned into me before kickoff Sunday....but that each team exchange line-ups with their opponents each week via written email

any subsequent changes in the line-up must also be handled in like fashion

this seems to leave less room for problems
Last edited by Justifiable_Sin on Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby timzak » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:37 pm

Well, if he could email the commish, then I assume (online league?) that he could change his lineup. So a phone call Sunday morning makes sense. If he's calling and not emailing, he does not have access to a computer, thus can't change his lineup. If he's emailing, then he has the ability to change his lineup.

How would you feel if the roles were reversed?
timzak
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BeefSandwiches » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:40 pm

If the guy could access email, why couldn't he change his own lineup? :-?

I would need to see the email and the time it was sent to be satisfied. If the email actually was sent at 9:30, IMO you have no case. Unless your rules state something that prevents this, the changes should stand because they were initiated prior to the start of the games.
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:43 pm

If an e-mail was sent, that is easy enough to confirm... If the commish really did receive an e-mail and simply forgot to change the line-up, then that's on the commish, and the other guy should get his line-up changed....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:51 pm

If there is proof that the owner notified the commish prior to the deadline on Sunday than it is on the commish's shoulders. THe owner should not be penalized for that.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Challie » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:55 pm

I don't know how many of you act as commish in leagues, but it is a thankless job. So I'm not too quick to blame this commish for not being chained to the computer Sunday morning and sending out e-mails to everybody.

Don't know how your league works - if it is Yahoo, then the owner should have done it himself, so maybe there's a beef. But if it's something that the commish really needs to keep track of, or everybody submits their lineups through e-mail, then you've just got to let the e-mail itself be good enough to let him have Brees?

If you can't trust the commissioner to be telling the truth, then that league is screwed & not work being in.

BOTTOM LINE (for me): Do you believe ... A) There actually was no e-mail sent before game time and the owner & commish are colluding and cheating? or .... B) The commish is telling the truth, there was an e-mail or attempt to get the right lineup in, if so, you just flat out got beat (in which case, take your one week beating and focus on next week).
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk