Michael Pittman vs. Jamal Lewis - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Michael Pittman vs. Jamal Lewis

Moderator: Football Moderators

Michael Pittman vs. Jamal Lewis

Postby Warpigs » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:09 pm

While this combo may seem a little David vs. Goliath, I think it's a lot closer than what meets the eye. Most Fantasy veterans would laugh at these two being compared. However, you have to remember that the Ravens continue to have no passing game whatsoever and Jonathan Ogden is still out for the forseeable future.

Pittman is the main option for Tampa -- however Alstott will be back in 3-4 weeks.

Schedule-wise, Jamal has:
NY Jets
Dallas
NE Patriots
Cincy
Indy
Giants
Pittsburgh

Meanwhile, Pittman has:
Atlanta
San Fran
Carolina
Atlanta
San Diego
New Orleans
Carolina

Remember that most of us stallwarts didn't expect Tiki Barber or Curtis Martin to be studs this year. I'm ready to break free from the old way of thinking if need be -- will Pittman outperform Jamal the rest of the way?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Michael Pittman vs. Jamal Lewis

Postby Flux » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:19 pm

Warpigs wrote:While this combo may seem a little David vs. Goliath, I think it's a lot closer than what meets the eye. Most Fantasy veterans would laugh at these two being compared. However, you have to remember that the Ravens continue to have no passing game whatsoever and Jonathan Ogden is still out for the forseeable future.

Pittman is the main option for Tampa -- however Alstott will be back in 3-4 weeks.

Schedule-wise, Jamal has:
NY Jets
Dallas
NE Patriots
Cincy
Indy
Giants
Pittsburgh

Meanwhile, Pittman has:
Atlanta
San Fran
Carolina
Atlanta
San Diego
New Orleans
Carolina

Remember that most of us stallwarts didn't expect Tiki Barber or Curtis Martin to be studs this year. I'm ready to break free from the old way of thinking if need be -- will Pittman outperform Jamal the rest of the way?

I dont think Pittman will outperform Jam, but he should put up some good numbers. His schedule is very favorable other than those ATL matchups and SD, but Jamals is just as easy, as PIT is really his only tough matchup and the Jets are pretty tough.

As you mentioned, Alstott will be back in a couple weeks, which will hurt Pittman, also, Ogden will be back in a couple weeks which will help Jamal. Pittman will probably stay close to Jamals output until those 2 things happen, but once it does, the edge will definitely go in Jamals favor.

Those last 2 games for Pittman do look quite amazing though, gimme some of that suga ;-D (what the hell did i just say? ;-7 )

(glad I have both these guys :-b )
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:22 pm

I would rather have J Lewis! Pittman is a guy that I would maybe try and move. Remember he did do this against KC. The good things about Pittman is that he does catch better out of the backfield then Lewis(depending on how you league scores). I think both of the schedules are about the same IMO with the slight edge to Lewis. Like I stated earlier I would try and move him and see what you can get for him.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Flux » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:33 pm

Eaglesfan wrote:I would rather have J Lewis! Pittman is a guy that I would maybe try and move. Remember he did do this against KC. The good things about Pittman is that he does catch better out of the backfield then Lewis(depending on how you league scores). I think both of the schedules are about the same IMO with the slight edge to Lewis. Like I stated earlier I would try and move him and see what you can get for him.

KC's run D is being vastly underrated. Yes they gave up that huge game to Q. Griffin, but look at some of these games before TB.

IND - Edge had 34 rushing yds
ATL - Dunn 49 rushing yds
JAX - Taylor 66 rushing yds
BAL - Lewis 73 rushing yds
HOU - Wells 34 rushing yds
CAR - Foster 174 rushing yds
DEN - Griffin 156 rushing yds

So you take out those 1st 2 games and that D looks VERY solid, granted some of those games their opponent had to pass in order to catchup. If it werent for Pittmans 70+ yard run, they would have held him to a very below average day yardwise
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DraftDodger » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:55 pm

>>> His schedule is very favorable other than those ATL matchups and SD, but Jamals is just as easy, <<<

Warpig already knows what my opinion is on this one (Pittman vs. Lewis) but I can't let the above comment go by unchallenged.

Also, I think we need to factor in Warpig's other RB, McAllister.

NONE of Lewis's remaining opponents have given up more than 6 total TDs all season. Combined, all seven teams have only given up 36 TDs, compared to the 65 TDs given up by McAllister's opposing DEFs. And Pittman? The teams he faces have given up 81 total TDs, more than double that of the defenses Lewis will face.

Yardage-wise, all three RBs are looking at similar numbers given up by opposing defenses:

McAllister - 797 yards
Lewis - 810 yards
Pittman - 826 yards

Clearly, Pittman has the better schedule for scoring rushing TDs, even if you don't consider KC's raping of Atlanta (who has only given up 4 rushing TDs total if you don't count that nightmarish KC game.) Even if you took away all of KC's touchdown's, that would adjust Pittman's schedule to 65, putting Pittman's schedule on par with McAllister's and still far more touchdown-friendly than Lewis's.

The question in my mind is, how can anyone favorably compare Lewis to Pittman? People are chasing last year's performance instead of looking at his situation this year. The passing game in Baltimore is pathetic, and the shadow of imprisonment hangs over Lewis's head.

Next year, I think he'll be a stud again. This year he's an average NFL RB at best.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:57 pm

I say Jamal will outpreform Pittman...

Soon enough, people will respect Tampa's run and put more in the box. Jamal has been against it all year.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DraftDodger » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:03 pm

>>> Soon enough, people will respect Tampa's run and put more in the box. Jamal has been against it all year. <<<

The second they do that, Griese will rape them, and they'll learn better and back off again. The reason Jamal has been against it all year is because Boller can't hurt defenses with his passing game. He's almost a complete nonfactor. That isn't going to change.

Jamal will continue to face tough fronts ... Griese can force defenses to play honest.

Pittman wins again ;-D
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:05 pm

DraftDodger wrote:>>> Soon enough, people will respect Tampa's run and put more in the box. Jamal has been against it all year. <<<

The second they do that, Griese will rape them, and they'll learn better and back off again. The reason Jamal has been against it all year is because Boller can't hurt defenses with his passing game. He's almost a complete nonfactor. That isn't going to change.

Jamal will continue to face tough fronts ... Griese can force defenses to play honest.

Pittman wins again ;-D

we'll have to see then.. won't we? I don't doubt Griese's talent, I doubt TBs receiver to get it done.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Purple_Pride » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:23 pm

id take jam for sure and id be sellin Pittman while he has some value.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:38 pm

DraftDodger wrote:>>> His schedule is very favorable other than those ATL matchups and SD, but Jamals is just as easy, <<<

Warpig already knows what my opinion is on this one (Pittman vs. Lewis) but I can't let the above comment go by unchallenged.

Also, I think we need to factor in Warpig's other RB, McAllister.

NONE of Lewis's remaining opponents have given up more than 6 total TDs all season. Combined, all seven teams have only given up 36 TDs, compared to the 65 TDs given up by McAllister's opposing DEFs. And Pittman? The teams he faces have given up 81 total TDs, more than double that of the defenses Lewis will face.

Yardage-wise, all three RBs are looking at similar numbers given up by opposing defenses:

McAllister - 797 yards
Lewis - 810 yards
Pittman - 826 yards

Clearly, Pittman has the better schedule for scoring rushing TDs, even if you don't consider KC's raping of Atlanta (who has only given up 4 rushing TDs total if you don't count that nightmarish KC game.) Even if you took away all of KC's touchdown's, that would adjust Pittman's schedule to 65, putting Pittman's schedule on par with McAllister's and still far more touchdown-friendly than Lewis's.

The question in my mind is, how can anyone favorably compare Lewis to Pittman? People are chasing last year's performance instead of looking at his situation this year. The passing game in Baltimore is pathetic, and the shadow of imprisonment hangs over Lewis's head.

Next year, I think he'll be a stud again. This year he's an average NFL RB at best.

I think those TDs conceded doesn’t tell the whole story for Jamal. Lets look at who these teams actually faced. TDs can often times just be random whether they are rushing or passing. And you know w/ BAL they are going to be rushing

NYJ

- CIN – Rudi TD, also had a 6 yd passing TD
- SD – LT TD, Flutie TD -> the Jets jumped on them early forcing SD to pass
- MIA – Leonard Henry got the bulk of carries… whoopee
- BUF – split of Henry and McGahee….
- SF – Barlow TD
- NE – 115 yds for Dillon, no TD
- MIA – Jets jumped on them way early, faced Morris and Minor
- BUF – McGahee TD, 4 yd pass

- There could have been 2 more rushing TDs had the opponents opted to run instead of pass. These aren’t great running teams that they faced

DAL

- MIN – Culpepper threw 3 TDs from 3 yards and closer in this game. Those easily could have been TD runs
- CLE – not much to say, CLE didn’t score any TDs, their worst game of the year (still rushed for 136 yards but had
- WAS – how much have they really scored this year? One of their TDs was a 1 yd pass, could have easily been a run
- NYG – Tike scored a TD, Shockey caught a 1 yd TD, could have easily been a rush
- PIT – Bettis scored a TD
- GB – Green scored 2 rushing TDs
- DET – KJ had a 1 yd TD catch, could have been a run
- CIN – Palmer ran for a TD

- There could have been 6 more rushing TDs, all the passes were from 3 yds and in

NE

- IND – Rhodes ran for a TD, the other 2 came from 3 and 7 yards out. Could have swung either way (not to mention Manning threw an INT on like the 2)
- ARI – Emmitt ran for a TD
- BUF – this was in the Henry era…
- MIA – suck at running, played Forsey as the primary RB
- SEA – Alexander scored a rushing TD
- NYJ – Pennington ran for a TD
- PIT – Bettis scored a rushing TD, also a 4 yard pass that could have been a rush
- STL – no rushing TDs

- There could have been 4 more rushing TDs (4 passes from 7 yds and in)

CIN

- NYJ – 1 TD run, 3 yd pass
- MIA – 4 yd pass TD
- BAL – 2 rushing TDs
- PIT – 2 rushing TDs
- CLE – 5 yd pass TD
- DEN – 3 yd pass TD
- TEN – 1 rushing TD, 1 yd pass TD
- DAL – no TDs

- There could have been 5 more rushing TDs. 1 of the rushing TDs was from Jamal

IND

- NE – no rushing TDs
- TEN – 2 rushing TDs
- GB – no rushing TDs
- JAX – no rushing TDs
- OAK – 1 rushing TD
- JAX – no rushing TDs, 4 yd pass
- KC – 3 rushing TDs

- Cant say much here, could have had one more rushing TD

NYG

- PHI – no rushing TDs, 3 yd pass TD
- WAS – no rushing TDs, 2 yd pass TD
- CLE – no rushing TDs, 3 yd pass TD
- GB – no rushing TDs
- DAL – no rushing TDs
- DET – 2 rushing TDs, 2 yd pass TD
- MIN – 1 rushing TD, 1 yd pass TD
- CHI – 2 rushing TDs

- There could have been 5 more rushing TDs, all from 3 yds and in

PIT

- OAK – no rushing TDs
- BAL – 2 rushing TDs
- MIA – no rushing TDs as expected
- CIN – 1 rushing TD, 2 yd pass TD
- CLE – no rushing TDs
- DAL – 1 rushing TD
- NE – no Dillon, only ran it 6 times, no rushing TDs, 2 yd pass TD
- PHI – no rushing TDs

- There could have been 2 more rushing TDs, and they faced NE w/o Dillon. 2 of their rushing TDs were from Jamal
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Football Talk