Commish Scoring Question! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Commish Scoring Question!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish Scoring Question!

Postby DudeLaw » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:03 am

Fellas, I need some help. I have a situation in my league and I'm not sure what to do.

Here's the situation:

I had originally planned on making 2 pt. conversions count for exactly that; 2 points. But, for some reason, I never did on the site's official scoring. Last year we counted them and I wanted to keep it the same this year. Well, wouldn't you know that a 2 pt. conversion is what separates one guy from beating another guy in my league.

Well, it's a yahoo league and he noticed tonight after apparently losing by 1.5, that he never got credit for Randy McMichael's 2 pt. conversion. So, I checked it for myself and noticed that he was correct. Well then I went in and checked our scoring settings on the Commish Page and realized that I never made 2 pt. conversions count for 2 pts. like last year. And I also realized that I can still change it to make it count. (but, it puts it on the front page of the fantasy site under transactions "2 pt. conversions changed from 0 to 2") Well, I didn't want to be a Ratfink and look like I was cheating this guy into a victory, but part of me feels like he should get credit for those points.

So, what do you guys think? Is it unethical to change the scoring half way through the season, even though it may have been a blunder on my part? Or should this owner get credit for the points his guy earned and receive the victory? I know this is a tough one, that's why I'm turning to you. I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

Thanks in advance to anyone!!!! ;-D

"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff."
DudeLaw
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DudeLaw » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:46 am

please....anyone???

"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff."
DudeLaw
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby matmat » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:15 am

toughie.

my personal action would be to explain the situation to EVERYONE in the league, without mentioning the specifics of the case. i.e.: "I meant to have the two point conversion in, just like last year, and it was my oversight that it wasn't there. It is the way we've always played and I am sure many of you are surprised that it isn't in the scoring at the moment."
And then take a vote. Don't give people too much time to look as to how it will affect them -- they need to agree to the concept itself, not agree with it or ioppose it because of the way that it will alter their standing.

it's up to league vote IMO, with probably something like 60-70% needed to vote in the change. (personally I'd prefer anonymous agreement, though.)
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Commish » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:28 am

Wow, looks like you have a mess.

I really don't know what to say. I'd probably just say it was your mistake for omitting & hope the other owner isn't pissed :-o
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby kyle2270 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:37 am

First is the league all friendly or strangers? If it is friendly you could change it but explain what had happened and if you been doing it in years past they should understand. Honesty gets you alot farther then people realize. But you will have to go back through each game all year and credit 2 pts where necessary that could be time consuming. Depending on how you do a waiver order that could have changed the waiver order which could effect other outcomes so you can not change it. But if points scored does not amount to anything other than that week's scoring you can change it, only in a frieddly league.

If not so friendly, you got to stick with what your scoring system the way it is. Good luck.
For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son.
kyle2270
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Arlo » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:16 am

I don't suppose you have a league constitution that includes your intended scoring?

Barring that, matmat's suggestion of a league vote sounds like a good idea. How many years have conversions counted in your league? If it's been a couple of years, I'd consider it a correction rather than a change and as an owner, wouldn't have a problem voting for it even if it cost me the win.

(Not that I'd be happy... :-b )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bowie » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:57 am

Last year's rules do not matter. This year's rules do matter. This year you are not counting 2 pt. conversions. If you had made a huge mistake that was caught VERY early in the season (like TDs worth 60 pts., not 6), than you could have changed the rules. As it is, your league scoring system has been posted all season, and no one has even noticed the 2 pt. rule until now. I don't think you can change your scoring system this late in the season. Admit your mistake, point out that the rules have been posted and consistant all season, and move on.

BTW, don't let this be decided by league vote. Everyone will simply vote according to who's victory or loss helps them most. Leagues have commishes to make these decisions.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Chopper » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:50 am

Bowie wrote:Last year's rules do not matter. This year's rules do matter. This year you are not counting 2 pt. conversions. If you had made a huge mistake that was caught VERY early in the season (like TDs worth 60 pts., not 6), than you could have changed the rules. As it is, your league scoring system has been posted all season, and no one has even noticed the 2 pt. rule until now. I don't think you can change your scoring system this late in the season. Admit your mistake, point out that the rules have been posted and consistant all season, and move on.

BTW, don't let this be decided by league vote. Everyone will simply vote according to who's victory or loss helps them most. Leagues have commishes to make these decisions.

Agree with all.

Especially the note about early correction of huge mistakes. I know of a league in which incompletions were accidently set at minus 10 instead of minus .10! They chose to fix this after the fact instead of benching all QB's all season long!
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk