Pick3 Scoring Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Pick3 Scoring Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pick3 Scoring Question

Postby menyak » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:06 am

Arlo and me are anticipating a scoring problem that may get bigger in the future. As you might have noticed, there are usually four or five (sometimes even six) people tied for the same score in any given week, so one player gets up to 50 points more than the other, just for submitting his pick earlier in the week (remember that tiebreaker).

While that may still be bearable, the number of Pick3 players will definitely keep increasing over the years, so logically more and more people will be tied with the same score. Would losing 100 or more points just because you submitted your pick on Saturday instead of Tuesday still be fun? Hm... :-?

We have developed an alternative scoring model where you incrementally loose points the further you're off from the actual score (0.1 when you're just off by one point, 0.3 for two, 0.6 for three, 1.0 for four, 1.5 for five...) This system isn't necessarily fairer (being off by 10 points twice would get you a slightly better score that being off by 5 points in one game and by 15 in the other), but at least everyone would get different scores and the rankings would be determined by the outcome of the games rather than who submitted when.

Needless to say that we're not gonna change the scoring during the season (the old system works well enough), just curious what you guys think if it sounds like a positive change or if you say Pick3 is a classic and we should stick to the current scoring, no matter what.
Last edited by menyak on Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lushcrush » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:05 am

Hmmmm ... :-?
I could live with this scoring solution. I prefer to enter my picks on Friday and it has cost me points in the past.
;-D
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:08 pm

I'm with Lush. The scoring should be changed. I enter my picks later in the week when I have a better feel for the games. People that make their picks on Monday and get lucky shouldn't be rewarded with extra points IMO.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:22 pm

Even though I just started playing this game a few weeks ago I think that's better. It's always better when points are decided by what you actually picked. It's not so much that the people who pick earlier in the week are lucky and people who pick later in the week are more knowledgable, but I think's it more that not everyone can sit on this forum all day like I do at work. Let's face it, a good majority of this game is luck. You have an idea of who is going to win and whether the game will be high scoring or low scoring, but that's about it. I mean if there is a safety or missed PAT in a game nobody can predict that. Some people don't have the time to pick until friday, saturday, or sunday morning. That doesn't make them better or worse.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:46 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:Even though I just started playing this game a few weeks ago I think that's better. It's always better when points are decided by what you actually picked. It's not so much that the people who pick earlier in the week are lucky and people who pick later in the week are more knowledgable, but I think's it more that not everyone can sit on this forum all day like I do at work. Let's face it, a good majority of this game is luck. You have an idea of who is going to win and whether the game will be high scoring or low scoring, but that's about it. I mean if there is a safety or missed PAT in a game nobody can predict that. Some people don't have the time to pick until friday, saturday, or sunday morning. That doesn't make them better or worse.

ok.

Any scoring system that keeps Mercer from getting any points is fine by me. :-b

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lushcrush » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:11 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:[Any scoring system that keeps Mercer from getting any points is fine by me. :-b

Agreed ... :-b
And at the end of the year retire the avatar below in Mercer's honor.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MeShawn » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:48 pm

I agree that awarding people who submit their picks earlier is wrong. Sounds like a good plan. I always try to submit my picks ASAP for that reason. Though it doesn't seem like I can get points anyway. :-/ (though at least I have some points, lol, Mercer :-] )
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:22 pm

MeShawn wrote:I agree that awarding people who submit their picks earlier is wrong. Sounds like a good plan. I always try to submit my picks ASAP for that reason. Though it doesn't seem like I can get points anyway. :-/ (though at least I have some points, lol, Mercer :-] )

Everyone has points in this game but me...at least the people that have played every week. :-)

That reminds me...I have to try to get those in early from now on...next time I'll probably lose out because I entered the scores too late. That's a way I haven't lost before, and apparently I'm trying to explore every avenue of that. :-B
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Turnip » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:47 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
MeShawn wrote:I agree that awarding people who submit their picks earlier is wrong. Sounds like a good plan. I always try to submit my picks ASAP for that reason. Though it doesn't seem like I can get points anyway. :-/ (though at least I have some points, lol, Mercer :-] )

Everyone has points in this game but me...at least the people that have played every week. :-)

That reminds me...I have to try to get those in early from now on...next time I'll probably lose out because I entered the scores too late. That's a way I haven't lost before, and apparently I'm trying to explore every avenue of that. :-B

I was with you...with no points.

Until last week. Come on Mercer, score already!
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:32 am

New system sounds good to me. I agree with the others - I prefer to submit my picks later after the injury reports are in.
BTW - it's almost midnight Thurs - where's week 10????
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Next

Return to Cafe Games Talk