Best Buy FF Link? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best Buy FF Link?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Buy FF Link?

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:00 am

Anyone have the link to the weekly Best Buy game, I think I'm going to play this week.

Thanks

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mdHARRIS » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:11 am

mdHARRIS
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ricky_Christ » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:51 pm

How do they award the prizes, is it just the top scores for everyone that played at the end of the week?

I want that TV! ;-D
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby 204BC » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:58 pm

They award prizes to the top 70 out of all participants based on total score. Ties are broken by the tiebreaker you choose. Odds are slim, I've had weeks where I ranked in somewhere around the 30,000 overall mark, but I've also just missed the top 70 once or twice by less than 10 points. Right now I'm ranked about 1,200 overall. The best way to win is to figure out which "nobody" in the NFL is going to freak out and surprise each week, i.e. Amos Zereoue's first start this year, Rueben Draugn's first start, Brandon Stokley's 3td game, Jermaine Wiggens 2td game, that sort of thing. Basicly, you need to know your stuff and on top of that get extremely lucky.

My Best Buy team for week 10:

T. Green - QB1
D. Carr - QB2
C. Dillon - RB1
E. James - RB2
O. Smith - RB3
T. Holt - WR1
R. Wayne - WR2
D. Driver - WR3
T. Gonzales - TE
J. Feeley - K1
O. Kimrin - K2 (couldn't afford anyone better, but who cares, it's just a stupid kicker)
Bengals Defense (at home vs Wash, decent matchup and cheap)

B. Roethlisberger (tiebreaker)
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:28 pm

204B&C wrote:The best way to win is to figure out which "nobody" in the NFL is going to freak out and surprise each week, i.e. Amos Zereoue's first start this year, Rueben Draugn's first start, Brandon Stokley's 3td game, Jermaine Wiggens 2td game, that sort of thing. Basicly, you need to know your stuff and on top of that get extremely lucky.

My Best Buy team for week 10:

T. Green - QB1
D. Carr - QB2
C. Dillon - RB1
E. James - RB2
O. Smith - RB3
T. Holt - WR1
R. Wayne - WR2
D. Driver - WR3
T. Gonzales - TE
J. Feeley - K1
O. Kimrin - K2 (couldn't afford anyone better, but who cares, it's just a stupid kicker)
Bengals Defense (at home vs Wash, decent matchup and cheap)

B. Roethlisberger (tiebreaker)

I commend your strategy, but it looks like you didn't follow your own advice this week. Where are the "nobodys?" According to your logic, taking a flier this week on WR Jabar Gaffney or RB Derrick Blaylock, for example, would be prudent. With the exception of Carr, those picks are all pretty standard ones that thousands of people will also choose.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:15 am

You pretty much kill your chances at receiving a prize if you neglect to choose a starting kicker. 1 point is the difference between getting nothing and getting a 25 dollar gift certificate. Kickers are guaranteed points....

I've found that the most essential part of the bestbuy contest is to select a player with a great matchup to use the double tag on. My brother had Drew Bree's tagged in week 8 I believe? The first week that he went off for like 5 TDs and he ended up with a 41st place finish even with a couple subpar games from other positions.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:33 am

I have a strong feeling about my chances this week:

McNabb v. DAL
Hasselbeck v. STL

SAlexander v. STL
Deuce v. KC
Faulk v. SEA

Holt v. SEA
Horn v. KC
Coles v. CIN

Troupe v. CHI

Kasay v. CAR
Scobee v. JAX

49ers v. CAR

My biggest concerns are my TEs and Ks - specifically - are they going to play?

As for Best Buy strategy - I think it really comes down to spending cash on the big QBs and RBs and making up for it by grabbing the absolute cheapest starting Ks possible.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:35 pm

I'd talk strategy, but we're only half way through the season and I'll be damned if I'm paying for a new TV this christmas.

;-)
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:55 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
I've found that the most essential part of the bestbuy contest is to select a player with a great matchup to use the double tag on. My brother had Drew Bree's tagged in week 8 I believe? The first week that he went off for like 5 TDs and he ended up with a 41st place finish even with a couple subpar games from other positions.

So far I think QBs are overrated for their price and especially to place a tag on.

I expect my player to score as many points as dollars I paid for him before the double tag. Expecting Manning to score 40 points this week (375 yards and 5 TDs), is a pretty big longshot no matter how insane he's been playing this year. I've had Brees a couple of times this year when he went off, but my RBs outscored him (I had Priest that 4 TD game). In fact, I was taking Brees because he was $22 or so and Manning was $40 and had just as good of a shot at putting up an insane game as the other more well known studs. I always take QBs in the low to mid $20 range, take their corresponding #1 WR if they are in a good situation, find the best RB to double and min/max the rest. I usually take the cheapest kicker with a good matchup because they are way too expensive (Kaeding and Brien were good for this until their prices started going up).
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ricky_Christ » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:21 pm

So has anyone won anything big yet?
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach