Shakespeare - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Shakespeare

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:10 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:I believe the argument is that there WAS a William Shakespeare, he just wasnt the writer. We (meaning non beleivers, though im not quite sure) know there was someone with this name, and yes he has a house and yes he has a tomb, but this guys parents were also illiterate, and this guy never went to school. Whered he get these skills from? Just some food for thought

you keep coming back to the illiterate parents. Literacy is not intelligence. Poeple who never had the opportunity to learn to read and write arent always dumb.
Then there is the lack of early schooling. All I can do is draw a comparison to einstein, who was considered nearly mentally retarded until the age of 12. Some people are just late bloomers.

Im not saying illiterate people are dumb, im saying this: He never went to school, so he didnt learn to read or write there. He didnt learn from his parents, BECAUSE they are illiterate. I dont think anybody has ever been born knowing how to read and write, even einstein learned it somewhere. Hes just quicker than others
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:20 pm

maybe shakespeare was illiterate, and dictated his plays to some guy who could read and write?

I honestly have no idea if he wrote them or not, Im just trying to look at all angles.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Shakespeare

Postby Arlo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:21 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:1- shakespeares parents were poor and illiterate.

That's a bit oversimplified, isn't it? Shakespeare's mother came from a wealthy family; his father was prosperous and an important member of the community who fell into debt when William was a child, but later recovered.

goleafsgo96 wrote:2- shakespeare never had the money to go to school, and there are no records of him ever going to school

I believe grammar school would have been free since his father was an alderman. It's not unreasonable to assume he attended, even though there's no proof.

Our knowledge of Shakespeare is thin, admittedly, but evidence for Bacon's authorship and other theories, while fun to consider, is even thinner. I obviously can't give you that all-important proof you're looking for, but Occam's razor gives this one to the Bard. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:42 pm

Arlo wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:1- shakespeares parents were poor and illiterate.

That's a bit oversimplified, isn't it? Shakespeare's mother came from a wealthy family; his father was prosperous and an important member of the community who fell into debt when William was a child, but later recovered.

goleafsgo96 wrote:2- shakespeare never had the money to go to school, and there are no records of him ever going to school

I believe grammar school would have been free since his father was an alderman. It's not unreasonable to assume he attended, even though there's no proof.

Our knowledge of Shakespeare is thin, admittedly, but evidence for Bacon's authorship and other theories, while fun to consider, is even thinner. I obviously can't give you that all-important proof you're looking for, but Occam's razor gives this one to the Bard. :-)

there is no exact proof as to whether him mom came from a wealthy family or not, and whether or not his father recovered from debt. seriously, different sources will give you different stories. and no im not saying the ones i read are true.

There are records of many students in schools back then, i understand that records have always been kept. none of willie.

This subject has no concrete proof about anything. There is nothing to proove he ever attended school, and nothing to prove he didnt. There is nothing to prove his family was middle class or above, and nothing to guarantee he was poor. I do, however, have a very ironic fact.

In all of shakespeares 60+ plays, not once in any of them does he ever mention his supposed hometown, stratford. The home of Francis Bacon, dublin Ireland, is mentioned a total of 15 times throughout all of his plays. Dont you think its a little weird that he'd never mention his hometown, but another city is brought up 15 times, and that city is the hometown of a possible candidate to be the real shakespeare? I know most of my info has been hypothetical and iffy so far, but that fact really boggles me.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:21 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:In all of shakespeares 60+ plays, not once in any of them does he ever mention his supposed hometown, stratford. The home of Francis Bacon, dublin Ireland, is mentioned a total of 15 times throughout all of his plays. Dont you think its a little weird that he'd never mention his hometown, but another city is brought up 15 times, and that city is the hometown of a possible candidate to be the real shakespeare? I know most of my info has been hypothetical and iffy so far, but that fact really boggles me.

But wouldn't that line of reasoning point toward the theory that Shakespeare was originally Italian? :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk