2nd Favre TD pass may be taken away.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2nd Favre TD pass may be taken away....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby matmat » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:30 am

lol.
1) here is what I saw:
Fisher received a shovel pass from favre.
He fumbled the ball before reaching the endzone
There was a melee in the endzone and packers came out with the ball

2) here is how it was ruled on the field:
Fisher received a shovel pass from favre
he ran into the endzone and fumbled the ball.
Since the ball crossed the plane before he fumbled - passing touchdown.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hammerwx » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:17 am

matmat wrote:lol.

2) here is how it was ruled on the field:
Fisher received a shovel pass from favre
he ran into the endzone and fumbled the ball.
Since the ball crossed the plane before he fumbled - passing touchdown.

Ah, but they did get it right on the field. It's the official scorer that did not go back and correct the scoring to match the ruling on the field.

The ref stated.... that there was a fumble which was recovered in the endzone by the ball carrier for a touchdown.

If the ruling had been Fisher had crossed the plane before fumbling (which he clearly didn't), the ref would have said the ball crossed the goal line before the fumble, touchdown GB.
hammerwx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby KnightWhoSaysNi » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:57 am

Isn't there a rule where you cannot advance the ball on a fumble - my memory is a bit sketchy on this. Can the player advance by recovering his own fumble, how does that work?

This ruling may actually affect my game this week (my opponent had Favre), so I'm curious to see how it pans out.

Ni

KwsN
KnightWhoSaysNi Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Lucky7 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:00 am

Dos anyone know if Yahoo is going to change the scoring for Favre and reduce his TDs from 4 to 3?
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bucswinitall » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:21 am

Its not going to change...

Here's why.

The original ruling was that it was a touchdown pass, fumbled, but recovered by the original receiver.

The officials told Tice that there was nothing to challenge because you cannot challenge posession of a fumble. Therefore, because the play was not challenged (which would have shown the ball fumbled before the goaline), the original call stands, therefore TD favre to fisher.
bucswinitall
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KnightWhoSaysNi » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:22 am

Sorry to belabor this point, but if you check out the nfl.com scores, it looks like they actually rule it a fumble (scroll down and look at the fumbles, and it shows that Fisher fumbled once, recovered for one yard).

Ni?

KwsN
KnightWhoSaysNi Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Lucky7 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:25 am

Has anyone contacted Yahoo to see if it will change the score?
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby hammerwx » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:18 pm

bucswinitall wrote:Its not going to change...

Here's why.

The original ruling was that it was a touchdown pass, fumbled, but recovered by the original receiver.

The officials told Tice that there was nothing to challenge because you cannot challenge posession of a fumble. Therefore, because the play was not challenged (which would have shown the ball fumbled before the goaline), the original call stands, therefore TD favre to fisher.

if it were ruled a touchdown pass, the fumble would have never been a factor, or a consideration. As soon as the ball crosses the goal line for a TD, the play is over. It would not matter if Osama Bin Ladin poped out of the ball a millisecond after the ball crosses the goal line, it is still a touchdown pass.

a player can't score a touchdown, fumble and then recover the fumble for another touchdown.

It's one or the other, and the ref said, and I quote " the ball was recovered in the endzone for a touchdown"
hammerwx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:25 pm

Here are the game notes from NFL.com. They address the TD call.

GAME NOTES:

Ahman Green rushed for 145 yards on 21 carries despite injuring his left kneecap when he was leg-whipped in the first half. It was his fourth 100-yard game this season and team record 28th of his career.
Fisher fumbled across the goal line after taking a shovel pass from Favre from the 2. Because he recovered his own fumble, the play was ruled a TD pass.
Green Bay's injuries included RB Najeh Davenport (hamstring), TE David Martin (knee) and LB Na'il Diggs (calf).
Culpepper was sacked four times.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Chopper » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:37 pm

Nice find, Killiansjmd. I think that, along with nfl.com's official box crediting Favre with 4 TD's should end the discussion. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I do appreciate that they apparently considered the situation and how to score it.

I thought that since the fumble wasn't acknowledged (or even noticed) by the officials until the TD was called that they'd just leave it at that and not even consider the fumble. TD. Reading the nfl.com play-by-play, though shows that they are, indeed calling it a fumble:
3-2-MIN 2 (14:13) (Shotgun) 4-B.Favre pass to 40-T.Fisher to MIN 1 for 1 yard. FUMBLES, and recovers at MIN -1. TOUCHDOWN.

Favre seems to be the beneficiary of someone else's fumble and recovery. Interesting situation.
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk