Weekly Fantasy Magazine Potential - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Weekly Fantasy Magazine Potential

Moderator: Football Moderators

Weekly Fantasy Magazine Potential

Postby Warpigs » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:53 am

I've really been putting some thought and research into a weekly fantasy sport publication. I always look forward to my Sports Illustrated when it comes each Thursday, and during the football season I usually flip to the NFL Insider section first. I'm one of those people that will read and listen to anything football related during the fantasy season to help give me an edge. Coming to the cafe is my biggest aid, but having a year-round weekly fantasy magazine (coming to my door regularly like Sports Illustrated) would be great.

I have checked around and have yet to find any weekly fantasy magazines. Considering the skyrocketing interest in fantasy sports, it seems to me that this may be the perfect time to roll the dice on a project like this.

Does anyone out there know of a weekly fantasy sports magazine (something the covers at least football and baseball -- and perhaps basketball, too). It could offer suggestions on a number of topics, including roster starts and sits, next week predictions, etc.

And this would be the perfect place to have a blurb on the free fantasy cafe sites -- places people can go for up-to-the-minute injury updates, analysis and assistance.

Just wanted to see if anyone else knew of someone that's already offering a weekly publication like this and to see if there would be a sincere interest in a project like this. If I can get the funding (and I already have the publication connections, potential writing staff, etc.), I would be a major advocate of free advertising for the fantasy cafes.

Anyway, just brainstorming out loud.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BGbootha » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:37 pm

No i really don't know of one myself. But to continue your brainstorming.

The only problem would be keeping it timely. In order for distribution and printing you would be printing your magazine, a week in advance for in season information. You could run into trouble forcasting out over a week in advance. Say you are telling people to start Chad Brown over Corey Dillion, only to have Brown break his leg after you send next weeks magazine to the printer.

of course that being said, it would be all to easy to fill this thing with advertisements. I am willing to bet that a few web pages along with a every magazine fantasy ad would be willing to advertise if you could provide decent enough circulation. I don't really know much about magazines as a business, but i think you have a decent idea here.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:48 pm

bgbootha wrote: The only problem would be keeping it timely. In order for distribution and printing you would be printing your magazine, a week in advance for in season information. You could run into trouble forcasting out over a week in advance. Say you are telling people to start Chad Brown over Corey Dillion, only to have Brown break his leg after you send next weeks magazine to the printer.

Not really, The Sporting News has up to date info in it, it just misses the Monday Night game. I know the Sporting News is $$$$, but i would pay $$$$ for a GOOD fantasy weekly magazine.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ljthockey » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:59 pm

Yeah that is a very good idea im sure I would subscribe for the Fantasy Football Basketball and.............Hockey :,-(
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby steelerfan04 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:57 am

Cool idea. The magazine wouldn't have to be that long. Anyone here get Sports Weekly? It sells for about 1.50. Something like that, short and cheap but good.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:13 pm

I think you're definitely on to something here. Like some people have said, there are some issues with injuries and such, especially with those situations where we don't really know if a player will play or not until Saturday.

But outside of that, there's PLENTY to cover on a week-to-week basis.

Weekly rankings are a great place to start, and it may be possible to integrate some of those formulas that people have come up with for ranking different positions.

You could also do a breakdown of the past week, determining what performances were an abberration and which ones were set to become the norm, among other things.

I definitely like the idea.
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Return to General Talk