Welcome to Stardom, Jimmy Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Welcome to Stardom, Jimmy Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Welcome to Stardom, Jimmy Smith

Postby Warpigs » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:44 am

When looking for a fantasy wide receiver, the most anyone can ask for is consistent production. Someone who averages 60-70 yards and a TD a game is someone worth gambling on as a regular starter for a fantasy squad. We all know who the elite WRs in the league are....

Yet, over the last five NFL games, has anyone been as amazingly consistent and valuable at the WR spot as Jimmy Smith? Heading into the week 10 matchup with Detroit, Smith was ranked in the top four WR this season yardage-wise. Everyone expected a bump down in stats with Leftwich sidelined and inexperienced Gerrard at the helm.

However, Smith quieted his critics today with a 110-yard, 1-TD performance on seven receptions. He has turned in the following totals over the last five games:

SD 8 Receptions, 113 yards
KC 7 Receptions, 91 yards
IND 5 Receptions, 113 yards
HOU 9 Receptions, 117 yards
DET 7 Receptions, 110 yards

That leaves Smith averaging 108.8 yards over the last five games. What's really amazing is that he has averaged 7.2 receptions per game during that same span. How many other NFL WRs are averaging over seven receptions per game?

Some may complain that Smith has done most of that damage against suspect defenses in shoot-out type contests. Outside of San Diego, it would be pretty easy to make arguements that the other four teams have problematic secondaries that allow opposing wide receivers to have big days.

Which, to me is fine. Why? Because it helps me build my case for Smith maintaining these elite numbers. A look at his remaining schedule:

TEN
MIN
PIT
CHI
GB
HOU
OAK

Tennessee has been struggling to stop opposing WR. Pittsburgh can be a tough defense to crack. The rest of the matchups? Can you say cupcakes? It would be foolish to expect anything less than 100 yards receiving against Minnesota, Green Bay, Houston and Oakland. Chicago is another WR-friendly defense, but chances are Jacksonville will invest most of its effort in the ground game for that contest. Remember, too, that Leftwich will be back in action at the latest by week 12's matchup with Minnesota.

When we all were scrambling to predict the next great player to "come out of no where" and be a top-10 elite receiver back in August, there wasn't too much love for Jimmy Smith. However, he continues to make his case for comeback player of the season, and it would be wise to jump on his bandwagon while you still may have a chance in your leagues.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mad benjamin » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:01 am

I had Jimmy Smith for much of last year and never thought he dropped off all that much. I also had his former counterpart, Keenan last year AND this year and have not been disappointed w/him either.

But for sheer consistency, I'll take Derrick Mason. He is the reason I benched Wayne, Burress and Toomer yesterday. It's because I can always seem to expect decent output from him. Look at his #'s:

wk 1-- 3-51
wk 2-- 8-104-1td
wk 3-- 4-43
wk 4-- 12-94-1
wk 5-- 4-63
wk 6-- 5-74
wk 7-- 8-85
wk 8-- 8-85
wk 9-- 7-91-1

He has had at 5 games with at least 7 catches and six w/at least 5. He has had eight games with over 50 yds. and six of over 70. He is quietly leading the league in receptions and the absence of McNair seems to be no problem for him. I went with the sure thing this week in starting him, figuring he would be good for at least 6 catches for 80 yds and maybe a TD.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:03 am

"Mr. Consistency" True to form. BUT?

Would this situation also boud well for DAVID Gerrard. IF Lefty were to play and possibly reinjure himself. Or not even come back at all.

Can Gerrard sustain 225-250 yard games and 1-2 TDs a week?

Considering the prior mentioned schedule?

I believe 180-205 passing yards with a TD is reasonable.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:10 am

Curious as to why this thread is titled "Welcome to Stardom" when Jimmy Smith has been doing this for several years, now...

;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:23 am

Plindsey88 wrote:Curious as to why this thread is titled "Welcome to Stardom" when Jimmy Smith has been doing this for several years, now...

;-D

True -- I guess it should be "welcome BACK to Stardom". The point of what I'm trying to bring across is that not many people look at Jimmy Smith as an elite fantasy receiver. The TDs have been a concern, but this guy has been putting up the yardage to keep himself among the cream of the crop. As a Marvin Harrison owner, for example, I've come to depend more on Jimmy Smith than Marv since Smith has been able to turn in a consistent string of 100-plus yard games now.

I agree that Jimmy's production may suffer long-term if Garrard has to start a number of games yet. Last I heard, Lefty should definitely be back by week 12's Minnesota game. However, I was expecting Smith to struggle yesterday with Garrard under center. Instead, he turned in another solid outing. Considering the fairly weak schedule the rest of the way, I still think Jimmy will do well even if Garrard starts several more games for Jacksonville. I didn't feel this way before the week 10 game.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:31 am

Well, one good thing about having a back-up in is that they tend to send a lot of balls towards the #1 receiver rather than hitting 4 or 5 guys like the starter has a tendency to do... I dunno if you got to see the JAX game, but Garrard missed Smith twice on long TD passes that he had his man beat, too.... His day was good, but if Garrard would have been a little more calm early on, Jimmy very easily could have had 160 and 3 TD's...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:44 pm

Great thread Warpigs, Jimmy Smith is very underrated, one of my favorite receivers. I just snatched him up in a trade. ;-D

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:18 pm

2 words, SELL HIGH.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:16 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:2 words, SELL HIGH.

:-° :-° Trade
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JimmyChoi » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:13 am

Plindsey88 wrote:Curious as to why this thread is titled "Welcome to Stardom" when Jimmy Smith has been doing this for several years, now...

;-D

For many years now...actually....if anything he's lost a step in raw speed...
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk