Give up on Portis? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Give up on Portis?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Give up on Portis?

Postby s0meguy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:22 pm

When you can't depend on a decent game out of a RB vs the Bengals, when can you? Looks like a second half bounce back is looking unlikely. He trouble because the skins got down by 17 quick, but that could happen every game. What are your thoughts, will Portis turn it around or is he a complete bust?
Ragin Cajuns on year #4
s0meguy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:34 pm

i'd say that he comes back. Portis was the first player to rush for 100+ against the lions in week 7. Also, it's natural to expect a change at QB for the Redskins, which will get him more carries.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BeefSandwiches » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:36 pm

Portis has looked good when he gets the ball. He is going to continue to struggle as long as the QB situation is a complete mess which does appear to be getting better anytime soon. If Ramsey can somehow get the passing game going, Portis will post better numbers.

As a Portis owner in my two main leagues, I am as frustrated as anyone and considering where you probably drafted him, I can see calling him a bust but there isn't anything he can do about it.

It's probably too late for you to do something; if your trade deadline hasn't already passed, it probably will soon. You won't be able to get equal value for him in a trade.
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:37 pm

Well, I wouldnt drop him, but if you can get anything of good value for him I'd do it. Washington is just so terrible, its really hurting Portis.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby feverfive » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:50 pm

Yeah, what basically everyone else has said. Move him, depending on what you can get; don't dump him for some piece of crap merely out of frustration. I drafted Portis at 1.08 in a 12 team redraft league, so I don't feel as burned as those who may have taken him at 1.06 or higher. If you took him higher than 1.06, you weren't thinking things through correctly in your draft preparation, IMHO. Hell, I did NOT like Portis coming into this year, at least to be a stud, but at the 8th spot, I saw him as a value pick. I had planned to trade him after a couple good weeks, but after the 50+ yd TD run in WK 1 vs. TB, he disappeared, basically, until the Bears game, so unfortunately, I wasn't able to move him for quality in return. I'm holding on & hoping he can at least be "solid" if not "spectacular" the rest of the way.
feverfive
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Flockers » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:52 pm

Most of the league trade deadlines have past.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby nerdd » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:04 pm

I understand your frustration but I'm going to hang onto Portis as one of my keepers. I dont see him suddenly emerging this year but I think he will be back on track once Gibbs has the ability to revamp the o-line in the offseason. Hopefully we want be saying the same this time next year.
nerdd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Challie » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:24 pm

I haven't watched a Skins game all season. Apart from speculation & stats, how does he LOOK to someone who's been watching them play?
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby feverfive » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:33 pm

Challie wrote:I haven't watched a Skins game all season. Apart from speculation & stats, how does he LOOK to someone who's been watching them play?

Well, he "looks" like a guy who is constantly facing 8 man fronts; who until the Chicago game, was very impatient & didn't wait for blockes to develop; who has looked better since Gibbs finally installed some Shanahan-esque runnig plays; and who has suffered greatly b/c of the total sh!t QB play by Brunnell (no passing game whatsoever to keep Defenses honest).
feverfive
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Pete123444 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:00 pm

i was watching allot of games via the computer and i noticed portis had a (i think) 12 yrd rec called back and a 10 yard run called back for penalties. there may have been more. it seems like every time he does something good it gets called back. a couple of games ago he had a td rec called back. he's the only offense they have. if ramsey gets in there and throws a few accurate passes it might help portis.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk