12 Steps to get over Fantasy Football Addiction - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

12 Steps to get over Fantasy Football Addiction

Moderator: Football Moderators

12 Steps to get over Fantasy Football Addiction

Postby Challie » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:35 pm

Here's something I'm writing for a website. I clearly had a little too much time on my hands today. Thought somebody here might enjoy it.

1 "Admit you are powerless over fantasy football and your life is unmanageable."
Proper Response: Endlessly refreshing the StatTracker won't magically give your defense another sack.
Denial Response: Yes, my lineup is unmanageable. I need to trade Portis for a power back like Jamal Lewis.

2 "Believe that a power greater than you can restore your sanity."
Proper Response: You can not watch the games and still end up with the same score.
Denial Response: If there was a God, then Randy Moss' hamstring would heal before gametime on Sunday.

3 "Make a decision to turn your will and your life over to God as you understand Him."
Proper Response: Take a good, honest look at yourself when you've picked up a Carolina running back for the fourth time this season.
Denial Response: Ask strangers on fantasy football message boards to tell you whether to start TJ Duckett or Tyrone Wheatley.

4 "Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself."
Proper Response: My team sucks and I'm 3-6. OK, I can quit.
Denial Response: Wow, I do need more depth at TE.

5 "Admit to God, to yourself and another human being the exact nature of wrongs."
Proper Response: Apologize to the IT department for tying up the server looking for waiver wire pickups on Monday morning.
Denial Response: Making friends promise not to let you heed Hector and Victor's advice at ESPN.

6 "Be entirely ready to have God remove these defects of character."
Proper Response: Get ready to watch or play golf instead of fantasy football.
Denial Response: Pick your lineup by a series of coin flips or, worse yet, listening to Danny Sheridan.

7 "Humbly ask God to remove your shortcomings."
Proper Response: Isn't this really just an extension of Step 6?
Denial Response: Actually get down on your knees and pray for your opponents kicker to miss his 30-yard field goal attempt.

8 "Make a list of persons you have harmed and be willing to make amends to them all."
Proper Response: Apologize to girlfriends, children, bosses, co-workers, drinking buddies and all others who you've blown off while doing your "due diligence."
Denial Response: Send "I'm sorry I doubted you" e-mails to Ken Dilger, Drew Brees and Michael Pittman.

9 "Make direct amends to people to such people except when to do so would injure others."
Proper Response: Pledge to give up, but not til after the season so as not to damage the integrity of your league.
Denial Response: Don't tell Michael Vick that he sucks.

10 "Continue to take personal inventory and when you were wrong, promptly admit it."
Proper Response: Just like step 4, but now you're 3-7. Now you're REALLY going to quit.
Denial Response: Start trading any WR who didn't score a touchdown in the last two weeks.

11 "Seek through prayer and meditation to improve your conscious contact with God, as you understand Him, praying only for knowledge of his will for use and the power to carry that out."
Proper Response: I can't even understand this step as written. Just do your best.
Denial Response: Ask God for the strength of character to finally give up on Jeff Garcia.

12 "Try to carry this message to those that still suffer. Practice these principles in all our affairs."
Proper Response: Don't be afraid to talk about "your problem." Admit to your mother that you screen her phone calls on Sunday afternoon & you've been home watching TV all the times she's called during the game.
Denial Response: Convince your opponent this week that fantasy football is useless and get a cheap W if he leaves his bye-week players in his starting lineup.

Enjoy.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1crzydmnd » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:40 pm

That pretty much sums it up. Great read! ;-D
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Confucius' redneck brother
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 19)

Postby ljthockey » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:43 pm

haha funny I fall guilty to many of those
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:50 pm

i like the one about refreshing stattracker...guilty :*)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:55 pm

Definetly a very solid article. Good job.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ricky_Christ » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:48 am

Very funny, I think I'm going to steal this one & post it as a league story. One of my best friends emailed me earlier today & told me that his team record is much better when his fantasy team "plays at home". Apparently hosting the other team at his imaginary stadium on the Sportsline website makes his players step up.

:-D These people need help...
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Challie » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:44 am

That home team thing is hilarious.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk