James owner: Manning is killing me - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

James owner: Manning is killing me

Moderator: Football Moderators

James owner: Manning is killing me

Postby gtgrad95 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:53 am

Anybody who watched Sunday's game, will probably agree with the point I was making last week. Manning is getting really selfish now and it seems like the only thing on his mind is breaking Marino's record. The team was up 42-7 with 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Time to give it to the RB and run out the clock right? Wrong! He decides to pass and justice finally being served, is intercepted. This happened on a few serieses with 2 of them ending up being picks.

Also, James ran 20 yards all the way down, got into the end zone, but was ruled out at the 1. On the next play, anybody else would have given it to the back since he deserved it by running it all the way down. Not Manning. He decides to do a play action on 1st down and pass it to Clark for the TD. This is getting really old. I think the problem is that Manning has control of the playcalling and not Dungy. If that's the case, then he'll be calling #18 on every play. This sucks (for non-Peyton owners, anyway)!
gtgrad95
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby chchelse » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:09 am

I've read this speculation, that Manning is calling his own number, in other forums also. I think that Edge's value is dropping rapidly. I'm ready to sit him for other RB options at this point. Too bad. Edge seems to be running hard and having a good year except for the lack of TD's. This will come back and bite Indy in the ass later in the year. Maybe as early as this week in Chicago.
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby chchelse » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:09 am

I've read this speculation, that Manning is calling his own number, in other forums also. I think that Edge's value is dropping rapidly. I'm ready to sit him for other RB options at this point. Too bad. Edge seems to be running hard and having a good year except for the lack of TD's. This will come back and bite Indy in the ass later in the year. Maybe as early as this week in Chicago.
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby krazymop » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:13 am

Manning is not selfish. Let's just stop this nonsense now. The reality is the Colts are scoring tons of points by throwing the ball as much as they are. Why on earth would you stop? So James isn't getting as many touches. Boo Hoo. He doesn't NEED as many touches with this offense. So he passed with 5 minutes left. So what? This is the NFL, and you do what works until the other team can stop you. There is no such thing as running up the score in a professional league.

The original poster said that anyone would have given it to James on the one since he deserved it. Well, the reality is if the D is playing tight, a play action pass is EXACTLY what a good QB would audible to.

If anything, it's good the Colts aren't running James hard. It will keep him fresh come playoff time.
krazymop
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 16)

Postby mikeydavison » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:29 am

First off, I'm a bitter Edge owner. Just thought I'd get that out of the way...

It's hard to argue with Mannings play calling now, since the Colts have been unstoppable recently. It's hard to say whether it's a selfish pursuit of Marino's records or a desire to stick with whats working that's causing the Colts to abaondon their running game.

Still, I think they really should focus on re-establishing a dominant ground game before the playoffs. While they're definitely gonna make the playoffs, their record will likely mean that they have to win at least 1 game on the road, in January. That game might wind up in Pittsburgh or Foxborough, neither of which is particularly hospitable to passing offenses in bad weather. Edge will be a valuable weapon in those games and I think the Colts would do well to remember that.
mikeydavison
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:00 am

Funny though, Edge still had 20 carries Sunday. Not like they completely abandoned it. What do you want 35 carries? Likely, yes, but that is not going to happen with this offense. Edge simply is not the centerpiece of it. Manning is.

Perhaps if Edge is able to make more big plays when he does touch the ball that much, they will feed him it more.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby runricky » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:30 pm

Yea but if he takes it the the 1 yard line after a long run, give the guy the rock and a chance at the end zone
runricky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cwrtlm » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:49 pm

I would at least give Egde one or two shots from the 1 yard line. He carried you all the way down the field, give that dog a bone!!!
Manning just vultures in to steal the TD away from Edge. With 1st and Goal you need to atleast give your stude back 1 to 2 shots from that close!!
cwrtlm
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Rusman » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:55 pm

I'm a Manning AND Edge owner, so maybe I'm biased as I'll get the points either way.

My feeling is so what? Everyone has to remember that these guys are playing for their team and their owners. They are NOT playing for YOUR fantasy team. There is no rule that says they must give it to the RB. Sure I get upset that my team didn't get the points either (I have only had Manning for 3 weeks now, so I know what you're talking about), but they are going to do what works for the team. As was mentioned above, maybe Manning saw the coverage was lighter on the TE and passed to him.

And to the point about him going after Marino's record? So what on that too! I don't see a problem with it as long as they still win games.

Sour grapes is what I hear.
Rusman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Regular Season Champ - Survived the semi-finals and on to the Championship game!!

Postby runricky » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:33 pm

i agree but if he has carried u to the 1 give him one shot at least. yes they are scoring regardless but edge need his TD's too!!
runricky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk