James owner: Manning is killing me - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

James owner: Manning is killing me

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dustyn » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:34 pm

How is passing the ball on a first and goal at the 1 a smart thing to do? Especially when you have a top 5 running back that can run it in? I'm not an Edge owner or Manning owner, but that logic escapes me. You have four downs to get one yard; I see no reason to not try the low risk option and punch it in first.
dustyn
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby gtgrad95 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:53 pm

Yeah, do you think Trent Green or Hasselbeck is going to think twice about what to do on 1st and Goal? I don't think so. They know that their stud backs will get the job done.
gtgrad95
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby defianthart » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:22 pm

as a manning owner i do see what you guys are talking about in giving edge the ball down at the goaline. i would have run the ball. however you guys cant even get that upset because you think it was manning just running up the score, it was 21-0 after that TD and only in the 2nd quarter, he didnt know something wouldnt happen in the second half. but rusman is right, they arent playing for your fantasy team, theyre playing to win. manning has got to be the greatest QB of this season and will be one of the best all-time, automatic hall of fame. he basically runs that offense and i think we should be praising him for the hard work he puts into doing that no bashing him because he wont run the ball more(even though edge did get 20 carries) in a pass heavy offense.
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby saundman2000 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:33 pm

Edgarrin James in the Indy offense is becoming much like Westbrook in the Philly offense.

Both teams have a pass-first mentality on offense. Things just come easier in the passing game because of the talent level of their QBs. Believe me, on 3rd and 2, both the Eagles and the Colts have a better chance of throwing for a 1st down than running for it.

These teams are just playing to their strengths. Even when they are in a winning situation, they end up going to the passing game to keep the ball moving and run out the clock. You can't question the Offensive philosophy of these teams....It's working and they are headed to the playoffs.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby krazymop » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:59 pm

dustyn wrote:How is passing the ball on a first and goal at the 1 a smart thing to do? Especially when you have a top 5 running back that can run it in? I'm not an Edge owner or Manning owner, but that logic escapes me. You have four downs to get one yard; I see no reason to not try the low risk option and punch it in first.

If the D is playing very strong in the box (which is likely), a play action pass almost always works. I'm not saying running it doesn't make sense, I'm just saying that a play action makes at least as much sense, if not more, in that kind of situation.
krazymop
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 16)

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:56 pm

play action on first down if you are going to do it, is the time. the defense doesn't know what to expect. trying run twice, the defense will know you are probably thinking pass, since you just got stuffed twice.

go with what works.

pretty hard to argue.

al;though, I heard indy was still passing with 5 minutes left. that will come back to haunt.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:06 pm

runricky wrote:Yea but if he takes it the the 1 yard line after a long run, give the guy the rock and a chance at the end zone

the team has one goal.. SCORING, which leads to WINNING!

edge takes them down to the 1, what do you think the defense is expecting... thats rite, a run! So peyton passes, and gets the easy TD. its not for him, its for his team. football is about winning, not sharing. Theyre not in a kindergarten gym class out there.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby purestrength » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:21 pm

When will NFL players like Manning finally realize that satisfying fantasy football owners is more important than increasing their own team's playoff hopes?

I guess Manning was lying when he said "This is what we play for (while holding a fantasy football trophy)" in that commercial before the season.
purestrength
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MadScott » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:57 pm

Edge owner here too. He certainly looks every bit the back that he used to look when he was putting up 1500+yds. and 10+TDs, the trouble is Manning and the rest of the passing game has grown up too. It becomes cyclical I suppose as I suppose that Edge will see some TDs sooner than later here. Imagine how much better this team would be if they actually ran the ball in at the goalline as well. The other thing that I don't like about Edge's situation is that they don't seem to use him in the passing game that much.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby xbird » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:07 pm

As an Edge owner, I wish he was on the bench when the Colts are
up 42-7. Why risk an injury-as a Titans fan, I'm all to familar with
injuries. Dungy is going to look like an idiot if he Manning or
Edge get hurt late in a blowout game.
xbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk