who is Ahman's backup for long term? Fisher or Davenport? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

who is Ahman's backup for long term? Fisher or Davenport?

Moderator: Football Moderators

who is Ahman's backup for long term? Fisher or Davenport?

Postby Bmonkey » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:20 am

how bad is davenport injured? Fisher was the backup this week but will that continue?

I'm trying to get my RB backups now for playoffs just in case.
Bmonkey
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JimmyChoi » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:16 am

Davenport is really a FB by nature......I don't see him as Green's longterm..backup
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bmonkey » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:18 am

so Fisher is the guy to get if Ahman goes down? or even now just in case he does?
Bmonkey
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Challie » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:02 pm

This stuff from Yahoo this AM:

Nov 15 Green Bay Packers RB Najeh Davenport (hamstring) has considerable swelling in his hamstring and will undergo an MRI to determine how severe it is. It appears Davenport could be out awhile. This is not the same hamstring that forced him to miss action at the start of the season, but the amount of swelling is not a good sign.

Nov 15 Davenport was unable to return to the Packers' lineup after straining his left hamstring in the first quarter of Sunday's game against the Minnesota Vikings. The backup running back, who missed some time earlier this season with a strained right hamstring, will be re-evaluated on Monday to determine his status.
Advice: If Davenport is forced to miss any time, Tony Fisher will serve as Ahman Green's primary backup in the Packers' backfield. In six games in 2004, Davenport has 124 yards and a touchdown on 32 carries.

----

Davenport's had several different injuries all year. Plus, do you really want a guy who got f***ed up, busted into some co-eds room and took a crap in her closet? (http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul02/57655.asp)

I haven't seen Fisher this year, but when he had some starts a couple of years ago, he looked up to the task - the offense didn't miss a beat from Ahman to Fisher.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby PBRmeASAP » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:02 pm

Davenport when healthy would be the primary backup - take this to the bank and cash it. However, Fisher would see time and would probably play on most passing downs as he's a better receiver. Fisher had a solid game in relief of Green and Davenport on Sunday, but he's not a starting caliber back. The argument can be made that Davenport is a starting caliber back when healthy.
PBRmeASAP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bmonkey » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:09 pm

great posts. thanks.

so it seems that davenport could be out for long time once the MRI comes in, meaning season possibly, so Fisher is the guy to pick up at this point. correct?
Bmonkey
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Challie » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:18 pm

(typo edit)

Davenport is #2 on their depth chart, when healthy, for sure. But this hamstring thing definitely throws a wrench in that.

I'm wondering what your situation is, chief? Are you an Ahman owner? Is your team already solid at running back? How quick do you think others in the league would be to snap either up today or tomorrow (before you get the news on the MRI)? Without knowing too much ....

Let's assume that Green has to go down for either of these guys to be useful to you (if not, then God help you and your RBs) ...

If Green goes down and Davenport is healthy, I see Najeh the Pooper splitting some carries with Fisher.

If Green goes down and Davenport is out, then Fisher's getting 30 carries a game in a solid offense.

Based just on this, I'd roll the dice on Fisher right now. Then if Najeh gets a clean bill of health later this week, then think about making the switcheroo.
Last edited by Challie on Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby PBRmeASAP » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:18 pm

Read in the Milwuakee paper that the MRI had been done, but no info yet. If Davenport is going to miss time I'd grab Fisher as the Packers really have no one else to turn to. Fisher is an unspectactular runner and will not put up the numbers you get from Green. But as a starer in this offense he'll get opportunities for plenty of scores, carries, and catches.

The Packers running game hasn't been the same since their C Mike Flannagan went down. Green's numbers definately have declined without Flannagan.
PBRmeASAP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bmonkey » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:26 pm

I'm an Ahman owner so I'm just trying to protect my boys for down the road. Ahman went down this past game and I was watching him and then my buddy picked up Fisher hoping he could screw me. But as he noticed Ahman was ok and then dropped him.

so that's what kind of scares ya.... especially heading into playoffs soon. I want to backup Fred Taylor too by getting Toefield. He had a scare this week too.
Bmonkey
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Challie » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:32 pm

I think you should get Fisher right now and see how things play out (best guess without knowing all of your specifics).

Did you catch in the JAX game when Taylor sat that series out with a cramp, Toefield ran them into the redzone, but then Greg Jones got it several times near the goal line. (Took him something like 5 carries to get the TD). I've been liking Toefield less and less as a guy to step up in the event of an injury.
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk