Please, Stop projecting Manning to be a 1st rd FF pick.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Please, Stop projecting Manning to be a 1st rd FF pick....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:53 pm

well some guy in one of my leagues took him at number 2 overall, and owens in the next round, round three tony gonzalez. -- and everyone mocked him. his backs out of the draft were emmit smith and mcgahee.

I guess you can see where this is going.

I personally wouldn't spend a first rounder on him -- unless I had a ladder or near ladder pick, then I think I would.

Seriously, the "no qb" rule in first round drafting is semi limiting.

you would have been way better off to take culppepper, manning, and to a lesser extent, mcnabb than some other late first round, second round backs. I'd rather have any of them than dominack davis, fred taylor, barlow and some of the others.

I know you can't predict the type of season they are having, but seriously. I think those guys are as likely to repeat (within reason) as are some 2nd round backs are likely to not pan out.

All that said, I agree that there is a big confluence of events helping manning, and the soft d's are one of them, and the fact that they have THAT many weapons. An indy o without edge or harrison is a different beast.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:07 pm

If the Colts get rid of both Marvin and Edge (which I would recommend... but it won't happen) and draft a hot rookie WR, then I'd draft Manning around high 2nd. But I never draft a QB in the first. NEVER. This year changes nothing...

But Peyton will likely still be my #1 draft pick (for QBs... not overall) next year.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Please, Stop projecting Manning to be a 1st rd FF pick....

Postby husker_fanatic » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:40 pm

iloveny18 wrote:next year. I'll tell you right now, those who will pick him are going to be very dissapointed. here's why. unless the colts somehow keep edge and marvin together (which i highly doubt) they will lose one or the other. it's already obvious that manning's #s will drop if they lose marvin. but remember when edge was hurt, mannings INTs went up. they will most likely not resign edge. they will lose the running game and since edge is one of the best RBs in the game, defenses won't have to respect the running game as much. that play-action pass that manning works to perfection so much will not be as effective.

any thoughts? i'm not saying manning will have a horrible season, just that he won't have a season like he's having this year and IMO he's not worth a 1st rounder

even if they get a different wr besides marvin, stokely and reggie wayne can hold the passing game together, trust me.
husker_fanatic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby cooleyhigh » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:49 pm

Polian will keep the triplets together at all costs and it will be the demise of the colts (see Dallas). On second thought if you have no defense to lose... :-?

I do think Mannings numbers will drop next season primarily because of the schedule. He has absolutely lit up the piss poor defenses of the AFC west and NFC north.

And eventually someone is going to game plan a way to slow him down and it will be copied. Too bad you cant mug wide receivers anymore :-b
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby vuch » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:05 pm

i took manning as the 7th overall pick and i was made fun of, but im in first 2 games ahead of everybody
vuch
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:19 pm

Assuming this season continues to go the way it has been, I would guess that Manning, Culpepper, TO, and Moss may all go in the 1st round in many leagues.
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby latraffic » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:00 pm

vuch wrote:i took manning as the 7th overall pick and i was made fun of, but im in first 2 gams ahead of everybody

Same story here. But there was a method to my madness. I calculated that Dom Davis and Dillon would slip through until the 2nd and 3rd rounds and luckily, I was right. And now with the Priest out, I'm gunning for the top spot this week. ;-D
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:53 pm

i usually hold off on qbs til after the 3rd round, when i have already snagged my first 2, or 3 rbs...i waited until the 7th round for aaron brooks( i know he isnt doing great) but it has worked, im in first place. of course i also picked up brees of WW 4 weeks ago and have been starting him ;-D i just dont see myself being able to throw down a first round pick for a qb, whether it be manning or c-pep...rbs are where the most points are scored consistently( at least in my leagues) and the fact that my leagues start 2 rbs and only 1 qb means there is more pressure to get the top tier rbs since there will be less to go around
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ljthockey » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:12 pm

vuch wrote:i took manning as the 7th overall pick and i was made fun of, but im in first 2 games ahead of everybody

Dont consider that smart drafting more lucky drafting
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Please, Stop projecting Manning to be a 1st rd FF pick....

Postby iloveny18 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:30 pm

JrcWY wrote:
iloveny18 wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:
iloveny18 wrote:they will lose the running game and since edge is one of the best RBs in the game, defenses won't have to respect the running game as much. that play-action pass that manning works to perfection so much will not be as effective.

It's not like once they lose Edge (if they do), they won't be allowed to have an RB on their team. Travis Henry looks like a great option for Indy.

there will be alot of competition for henry this offseason. they'll probably draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round. they really don't need to spend $ on a good one

Henry is a good pickup for a team but I doubt there will be a fight for him. You could say there is a plethera of RBs hitting the market this offseason(I watched the 3 amigos last week). Look at these names though:

S. Alexander
E. James
R. Williams
T. Henry
A. Thomas
R. Johnson
L. Jordan
J. Jackson

Henry and Ricky are the only guys locked into a contract on that list and henry is probably the fourth best option of all of them. Add that to what looks like a good RB draft class, and Henry and Ricky's value may only be a late round pick at best. We could see both of them stay on their own teams just because RBs won't have great trade value this offseason.

the only problem is, that SA will probably resign or get franchised, and a few of those backs aren't as good as henry/r.williams. there are lots of teams that are looking for a RB this year. dallas, detroit, TB, arizona, miami, and oakland are teams that look like they need rb's. but if indy doesn't get henry (and they're not getting ricky) then the rest of the RBs aren't nearly as good as edge. i think indy will likely go after one of the RBs from the bunch in minnesota
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk