T.O. and McNabb antics - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

T.O. and McNabb antics

Moderator: Football Moderators

T.O. and McNabb antics

Postby hastur » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:21 pm

Even I, avid Cowboy fan, initially thought the fun T.O. and McNabb were having on the sideline November 15 was pretty amusing. After all, they were sort of poking fun at themselves (see: Pittsburgh) but at the same time twisting the knife they had plunged into the heart of Cowboy nation. I know the Cowboys aren’t doing so well right now(read: they suck!). It was hard to handle the defeat nonetheless, let alone rubbing the salt into the proverbial wound.

I am on the side of the players and the fans who think the NFL took out a certain fun aspect of the game by making endzone celebrations a penalty, taking them out completely. Football is a game of stats, analytical thought, strategy, and tactics. It is also a game of emotion. Telling a football team as a whole not to celebrate after completing a 89 yard, 17 play drive for a touchdown in the final minutes of a game is missing the forest for the trees. Yes, it was taking time away from the game and making them too long. Don’t cut them out completely though. Make a time limit of sorts. It should also be unconstitutional to tell the crowd to quiet down. Part of the game, friends. That’s what ‘home field’ is all about.

That being said, watching T.O. and McNabb having their fun on the sidelines caused me to flash forward about 2-3 years. After a touchdown, 7 or 8 members of the team, on their own sidelines, acting out a ‘skit’ of sorts that takes a minute or two(big deal you say. A whole minute! Sit still and watch the clock for 60 seconds and you’ll notice how long it really is given the situation.). It will escalade into the WWF and the antics of sideline shows and celebrations will take away from the game. It has me thinking about how cheerleaders are inclined to think they are more important than the games they cheer on. Hey, honey, wag your bottom, shake your bosoms, and than get the hell out of there! There is a game going on. Your what we gawk at during breaks. Nothing else. Should we have to decide to either watch the main event on the field or the silly stunts being pulled by the players on the sidelines.
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ljthockey » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:19 pm

I dont mind any celebrations and I find them fun to watch after a score and what not. I disagree with you on the 3 minute skits that would take planning and just be ridcolous I think if that started happening on the sidelines then maybe the league should step in but a 30 second touchdown dance is fine by me
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Atog » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:29 pm

I think i didn't see something that you're referring to. Can you elaborate on these 'Sideline Antics'?
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby hastur » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:26 am

McNabb was getting in t.o's face with t.o. walking away looking mad. It was a farce of the Pittsburgh game 'hissy' fit they had with each other. It was an act. It was vaudville.

It smacked of WWF. The last thing the NFL needs is for fans to start thinking some things are 'staged'.

I know what your thinking. Cowboy fan angry about his team losing. I think I would feel this way if it were NE vs. CLE.
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby vdragon78 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:50 am

I enjoy TD celebrations and other antics a lot, as long as they are INTERESTING. That TO/McNabb skit was not interesting or amusing at all. McNabb is a terrible actor, and he was obviously uncomfortable doing it.... It was like watching a car wreck.
vdragon78
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:20 am

I think you're overreacting a bit. The media has been overreacting to everything involving TO this season, including him following McNabb down the sidelines during last week's game. McNabb had already said after the game that TO was trying to encourage him, but even here and on ESPN, etc, people still made a big deal about. This was them telling them cleverly letting the sports media know they can stop salivating each week on the possibility of TO exploding on the Eagles because he's not going to. Look at the interviews with TO and McNabb, the two of them are like pals on the field and on the camera. They work well together, and are in enjoying the best seasons of their respective careers thanks to each other.

There is no trouble in paradise, and really that's all the sideline skit was about. Besides, the slippery slope argument originally presented is a logical fallacy, its just not a very solid argument.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting