TALK ABOUT ABUSE OF POWER! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TALK ABOUT ABUSE OF POWER!

Moderator: Football Moderators

TALK ABOUT ABUSE OF POWER!

Postby discopants » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:30 pm

Check out the Transaction list from my Yahoo league. Comissioner's trade was Veto-ed by the league, so he changed the rules and them did the trade again!

11/15 D. Staley (Pit - RB) T. Green (KC - QB) J. Shockey (NYG - TE)
Trade LoneStar to Foobag
11/15 V. Testaverde (Dal - QB) A. Green (GB - RB) J. Witten (Dal - TE)

Trade Foobag to LoneStar
11/15 Q. Morgan (Dal - WR) Add Free Agents Discos
11/15 Tampa Bay (TB - DEF) Drop Discos Waivers
11/15 B. Cundiff (Dal - K) Add Free Agents Discos
11/15 M. Stover (Bal - K) Drop DiscosWaivers
11/13 Waiver Time changed from '2 days' to '1 day'
11/13 Trade Reject Time changed from '2 days' to 'No Protests'

11/12 D. Staley (Pit - RB)
T. Green (KC - QB)
J. Shockey (NYG - TE)
Trade (vetoed) LoneStar to Foobags
11/12 A. Green (GB - RB)
J. Witten (Dal - TE)
V. Testaverde (Dal - QB)
Trade (vetoed) Foobags to LoneStar

Related Links: Players | Injuries | Research & Analysis
discopants
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ditka in '04 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:35 pm

thats ridiculous, I hope it isnt a money league because I would demand my cash back
Go Bears, Ditka, and Italian Sausage
Ditka in '04
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby awwchrist » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:43 pm

wow 8-o
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:49 pm

I would never run a league with league vote to decide trades...people are stupid in general and veto everything that helps other teams. I am not sure why this trade was vetoed in the first place. I can not even tell which team is the commish's team.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:01 pm

BigMusky wrote:I would never run a league with league vote to decide trades...people are stupid in general and veto everything that helps other teams. I am not sure why this trade was vetoed in the first place. I can not even tell which team is the commish's team.

agreed. the trade should never have been vetoed.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

sO...

Postby discopants » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:09 pm

SO...It's Okay to change the rules in the middle of the league, whether the trade should have been veto-ed or not?
discopants
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: sO...

Postby matmat » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:18 pm

discopants wrote:SO...It's Okay to change the rules in the middle of the league, whether the trade should have been veto-ed or not?

no, it isn't
but it also isn't OKay to veto trades just because you don't like 'em even though they are perfectly fine i.e. balanced and fair.

maybe the commish didn't realize initially what a bunch of ignorant, small-minded dopes he had in the league originally and didn't think that he would not be able to trust them when it came to judging a trade on its own merits and not on how their whims take them
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:21 pm

BigMusky wrote:I would never run a league with league vote to decide trades...people are stupid in general and veto everything that helps other teams. I am not sure why this trade was vetoed in the first place. I can not even tell which team is the commish's team.

I agree. Which one has the advantage, the guy getting the stud RB?

Anyway, I also agree that the league shouldnt be able to vote - however, changing the rules mid season is never good.

Two wrongs occured here, and you have to decide which is the bigger problem. To me, the bigger problem was allowing voting on trades - this trade is a good example of why voting is a flawed concept: it was close enough not to be a vetoable trade, yet it was because of a vote. The rule change was bad, but it was essentially superceding a bad rule anyway.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby discopants » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:30 pm

matmat wrote:
discopants wrote:SO...It's Okay to change the rules in the middle of the league, whether the trade should have been veto-ed or not?

no, it isn't
but it also isn't OKay to veto trades just because you don't like 'em even though they are perfectly fine i.e. balanced and fair.

maybe the commish didn't realize initially what a bunch of ignorant, small-minded dopes he had in the league originally and didn't think that he would not be able to trust them when it came to judging a trade on its own merits and not on how their whims take them

I agree. But you can't just change the rules whenever you feel like it... in the middle of the season without putting it to a vote. I don't care how small minded the dopes are- everyone enetered the league knowing the rules and the consequences of the rules. Personally ( I didn't veto), it doesn't matter if the trade was valid or not because the rules stated you can veto and it was. END of story. Maybe the comissioner should learn how to take his lumps because he's the one who made the rules anyway, and not abuse his power- changing the rules when they benefit him.

btw- he gets A Green
discopants
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby matmat » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:36 pm

discopants wrote:I agree. But you can't just change the rules whenever you feel like it... in the middle of the season without putting it to a vote. I don't care how small minded the dopes are- everyone enetered the league knowing the rules and the consequences of the rules. Personally ( I didn't veto), it doesn't matter if the trade was valid or not because the rules stated you can veto and it was. END of story. Maybe the comissioner should learn how to take his lumps because he's the one who made the rules anyway, and not abuse his power- changing the rules when they benefit him.

btw- he gets A Green

you sure there wasn't a discussion at the start of the year as to what sort of trades were to be vetoed?
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk