TALK ABOUT ABUSE OF POWER! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TALK ABOUT ABUSE OF POWER!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby brianpb20 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:45 pm

I am in a similar situation right now.

I worked a trade with my friend who drafted 3 great QB's at the beginning of the year. He has had P Manning, B Favre, and T Brady on his roster all year long.

With Pennington out and Hasselbeck struggling, I needed a new QB so...

I proposed:
Nate Burelson (WR)
Willis McGahee (RB)
Antoine Winfield (DB)

For:
Brett Favre (QB)
Ashlei Lelie (WR)

Since there is only 6 people in this league, it only takes 50% of the 4 to veto a trade, because the 2 people engaged in the trade do not count as votes. Top 4 teams goto the playoffs, I am currently #4 while my friend who I traded with is #2, obviously the #1 and #3 guys are the ones who vetoed the trade.

The commishioner felt that the veto privaledge (which is meant to prevent player dumping) was abused and removed that option from the league. He then told us to continue with our trade. The 2 who voted against are upset, we believe its a fair trade. Lots of drama.
brianpb20
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby proKrastinate » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:14 am

just adding my opinion which coincides with some already posted.

the trade to begin with was fair. should not have been vetoable. your fellow owners are obviously abusing their own veto power. that is something for your league to think about...NEXT YEAR.

regardless of how stupid outlandish rediculous etc... you should have known the rules before joining the league. if you join, then you make an agreement to the league to abide by those rules. having the power to change them for your own good and doing so is the worst thing you can do.

depending on your current situation, if ii were u i would drop this league immediately. i have absolutely no tolerance for this type of behavior. if your commish doesn't reverse that trade before the end of this week (Saturday at noon the latest) I would pick up and leave. if this is your only league than perhaps i would rethink leaving, but if not then i would be gone.

if you decide to leave, don't be a d!ck yourself and drop all your players, or attemp to make stupid trades now that the rules have been altered. if the rest of the owners in your league would still like to play then you would be hurting them, and it wasn't their fault this happened, even though they were veto happy. let us know your final decision. im a little curious how this turns out.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby jwbseven » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:31 am

there is a fine line.

In my league the commission traded away R. Caldwell for a guy named Priest Holmes. We have no veto option.

By the way, his other running back is L. Tomlinson
To achieve the ultimate reward you must be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice
jwbseven
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:21 am

Still unacceptable. No, the trade shouldn't have been vetoed in the first place, but if you play in a league where league vetos are allowed, whether you like them or not, it is completely wrong for the commisioner to change rules midway through the season. I'd be POed too...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

hey

Postby discopants » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:52 pm

STATUS UPDATE:

Commissioner reset rules and undid trade. He re-proposed the trade asking veto-ers not to veto unless they thing the trade is unfair...

All's freindly again... but there was some serious drama.
discopants
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: hey

Postby proKrastinate » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:04 pm

discopants wrote:STATUS UPDATE:

Commissioner reset rules and undid trade. He re-proposed the trade asking veto-ers not to veto unless they thing the trade is unfair...

All's freindly again... but there was some serious drama.

thats probably the best outcome possible in that situation.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:36 pm

I think the bottom line is that the Commissioner set the rules at the beginning to allow vetos.

If he now gets pissed off because people are vetoing his trade, that's just too bad.
He's the one that facilitated this kind of situation. He made his bed and now he just has to sleep in it.

There is NO WAY you can change the rules in the middle of a season no matter what the situation is.

Whether the trade should have been vetoed or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the rule existed that allowed vetos. Veto's can be abused by their nature. That's why you have to consider carefully whether they should be allowed or not. Mostly it depends on the character of the individuals in the league. If they are mostly resonable people, you will be fine. If they are a bunch of babies, then you probably don't want to allow vetos because stuff like this will happen. I don't like vetos for that reason.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:40 pm

So the commish straightened it out huh?

Keep an eye on this commissioner though. I wonder if he only reset things because he was caught. Just the fact that he tried to change the rules in the first place makes me wonder about his character. You need a commish to be very fair and honest or things can always get dicey. There are so many good leagues out there. To have to put up with a bad one is not worth it.

I wouldn't join up with his league next year.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:17 pm

Well that's good... looks like the commish saw the error of his ways. Did the people veto the trade the next time through?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby arrbez » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:19 pm

you can't change the rules, but i can see where this guy is coming from.

there's absolutely no way that trade should ever have been vetoed, and it probably happened just because nobody wanted to see an opponents team get better. he probably figures if everyone else in the league isn't playing in the spirit of fairness, why should he?
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk