Does your league have a 'trade veto' option? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does your league have a 'trade veto' option?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does your league have a 'trade veto' option?

Postby brianpb20 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:07 pm

I know in the yahoo leagues their default trade options are that people in the league can vote to veto a trade. It only takes 50% of the league (not including the 2 people in the trade) to kill it, not 50+%.

I just finished a deal with a friend where he got Nate Burelson, Willis McGahee, and Antoine Winfield (Min-DB) for Brett Favre and Ashlie Lelie...

He drafted 3 QB's (Peyton, Favre, and Brady) Used Favre to get some quick fixes for his line up (an injured priest)...

2 guys in my league think this trade is unfair... They vote to veto it and it gets cancelled.. (theres only 6 of us in this league.. top 4 advance to playoffs)

Do you think its fair for these guys to veto this 'legit' trade because their teams aren't benefitting from it?
brianpb20
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Commish » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:08 pm

Quit Yahoo and find a new league. Nothing is worse than a couple of crybabies that aren't smart enough to attempt to make trades themselves.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby brianpb20 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:12 pm

I guess i should mention this too...

This is just a 'fun' league with a group of my college friends.. we didn't bet any money this year.. just for bragging rights.

The commish of this league saw that our trade got vetoed and felt that the veto was unfair. He removed the trade voting option and told us to carry on with our trade...

Of course the 2 who vetoed the trade are upset...It's hard to tell who's right or whos wrong...

We've tried to explain the trade voting is there to prevent non-playoff teams dumping their studs to playoff teams, but they believe it's their right to vote.
brianpb20
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Screwed » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:05 am

No vetoes in my league.
Screwed
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby The_Commish » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:37 am

Why would you have vetos in a fun league?? For that matter, why would you veto??
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SDChargerFan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:01 am

I think the right to veto is a good thing especially in a money league. In our league everyone has 24 hours to veto, if more than 50% of owners veto, the trade is not allowed.

This has been beneficial in past years where we had a team that wasnt going to make the playoffs try and trade a stud to a playoff bound team to stack the deck....the trade was vetoed by every other owner and the two involved were not invited to join the league the following year.

Unfortunately there are some who feel it is necessary to try and cheat.
SDChargerFan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Arlo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:37 am

Vetoes ... can't live with 'em, can't live without. The trouble is that the only thing more disruptive to a league is collusion itself. :-/

To answer the original question, my own league actually has two separate vetoes: one for collusion, one for other circumstances. There's no perfect veto system, but this has worked very well so far.

As to the original trade, I wouldn't even consider vetoing it...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk