A strategy for next year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A strategy for next year

Moderator: Football Moderators

A strategy for next year

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:46 am

yes it is early to talk about next years draft, but this thought just came to me. I know some people end up with a good QB/WR combo on their team. Now this may be somewhat planned, but not to the extent I am thinking of. 3 qbs this year; manning culpepper and mcnabb have just light it up. Is it a coincidence that they have the top 3 wrs on their team? I dont think so. Look even to a lesser extent at qbs who have broken out this year. David Carr has andre johnson. Drew Brees has Gates. Now, how is this relevant? Im thinking of a oplanned draft strategy. Say you had the 10th pick in a 10 team league. You may choose any of the top 3 qb/wr combos, completely ignoring the rb. If this year is any indication o years to come, you would consider this a huge bargain. Now, we all laughed at the guy who took manning in the first round this year. Do you want to be caught sitting on your thumb again?

Basically what Im saying is that top running backs have really lket us down this year. Tomlinson has not put up the numbers we projected. Mcallistar got injured. Portis isnt producing. Meanwhile your tiki barbers, chris browns and michael pittmans are tearing it up. But then again, maybe this year is just an abberation and running backs will ocntinue to dominate for years to come. Either way, if my team next year included manning and harriosn, culpepper and moss or mcnabb and TO, Id be pretty happy.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Commish » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:03 am

I think the strategy works better in deep leagues -- where talent is spread out.

I usually try to get a QB and #2/#3 fantasy WR hookup every year in my 16-team league. I got Manning and Wayne this year so it's worked out so far. Getting someone lesser like Wayne coming into the year, I can still end up with 2 good RB options.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby gatorman1122 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:19 am

Either way, if my team next year included manning and harriosn, culpepper and moss or mcnabb and TO, Id be pretty happy.

I'm still gonna stick with my draft 3 rbs 1st strategy, and hopefully try to grab some cheap, underrated QB/WR combos like Griese/Clayton (Who'd have thunk???), Carr/Johnson, Harrington/Williams, etc. Hey, maybe this year of the dominating QBs isn't a fluke...The emphasis on the 5 yard rule sure does help QBs this year.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jwbseven » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:24 am

I'm kind of torn on this issue. I have had the EXACT thought run through my head about drafting next year. The only thing is, we have to see if all the dudes in our leagues that have those combos win the whole thing. When those combos are on they absolutely destroy the rest of us. But catch them on a day where McNabb or Culpepper is off and they get whooped. In other words the combos can be lethal but conversely can shut down their whole team. I'm going to see how this plays out because I know that the 2 guys in my league that have Culpepper/Moss and McNabb/Owens are hurting in the running back area.
To achieve the ultimate reward you must be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice
jwbseven
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:50 am

you have to also consider, if one of your 2 studs gets hurt(example :moss-cpep) it will affect you negatively for both players, not just the one.( c-pep doesnt put up near as good of stats without moss)...i see it as a go big or go home kind of strategy...could pay off big, but could really hurt you...especially in playoffs when it is single elimination. how much did the TO-mcnabb combo generate during the game against the steelers last week?? a game like that in the playoffs would kill your chances....just food for thought
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:01 am

Agreed with deluxe; it's certainly a viable strategy, but it's definitely an eggs-in-one-basket approach.

In any case, I hate meeting teams like this in the playoffs... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:39 am

It's a strategy I'm absolutely going to use next year.While lose/one lose/lose both sounds devastating,it's not nearly as bad as you might think.Figure you can get C.Brown and Tiki later so your backs were covered.Pick up Droughns off the wire(any one draft this guy?no way)and your gold.Now,Moss goes down,C-Pep sucks and your out right?Wrong.How many guys drafted Brees?Or to a lesser extent Leftwich(in larger leagues I'm sure),but you get my point.That's why you draft backups,and work the wire.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RoxSox » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:16 am

This year I had the 9th pick out of 10 in my two competitive leagues. Once league I drafted Culpepper and R. Moss, and the other I went with Edgerrin and Culpepper, and landed D. Mason. With Culpepper and Moss, my next pick was Horn, and then I went early with Gonzo, so I didn't take an RB until Staley in the 5th round, followed by C. brown, and Suggs, and then somehow landed R. Wayne. I ended up playing the waiver wire, and landed Pittman, Gates and Brees, and am trying to move Gates and Brees to a team that is struggling to make the playoffs, for Portis or McCalister. I am in first place in both leagues so far, and have scored the most points in each H2H league as well, so it can work both ways. If you do your research and can be quick to pick up a FA, then you can make it work.
Air Shottenheimer has a nice ring to it.
GO CHARGERS!!
RoxSox
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:50 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:you have to also consider, if one of your 2 studs gets hurt(example :moss-cpep) it will affect you negatively for both players, not just the one.( c-pep doesnt put up near as good of stats without moss)...i see it as a go big or go home kind of strategy...could pay off big, but could really hurt you...especially in playoffs when it is single elimination. how much did the TO-mcnabb combo generate during the game against the steelers last week?? a game like that in the playoffs would kill your chances....just food for thought

Yes, tell that to the teams that had CPepp and Moss, and probably lost at least 3 of the last 4 games. That is precisely why this is a dangerous strategy... Moss gets hurt, and not only do you lose his production, but CPepp also takes a big hit. Owens/Moss, Manning/Owens etc. are better combos in the long run.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby tman570 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:10 pm

I agree, better to spread out your talent. I have ownes and plummer and it has worked out great for me. My Rbs are Green and westbrook. Keep in mind that this a keep 4 league so I dont think you could build this kind of core in a non keeper leauge.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk