A strategy for next year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A strategy for next year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Ricky_Christ » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:44 pm

matmat wrote:I don't get it.
Why would you EVER go into the draft with a pre-determined draft order. (3xRB or 1RB, 1QB, 1WR)... In my view in the first few rounds you should just take the best available players, or, rather, the highest value players (compared to others available at their positions).

I completely agree with this. It's one thing to debate the merits & drawbacks of the QB/WR combo, but it seems silly when you talk about letting it determine your draft strategy.

Drafts are far too fluid & unpredictable to walk in with a set mentality. You need to organize your picks according to value levels & positions, then draft according to the holistic needs of your team and the trends of your particular draft.
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:50 pm

This is why many play ff, because only now...after the season is in full swing can you make any sense of who you "Should" have drafted first rd and ignored first rd. Next year will be different as to which position dominates the ff world. The only way to make any sense of it would be to predict which players will score the most points.......relative to their average player at the position. But that's what we all try to do anyway.

Longer than I wanted this post to be, but overall this season was dominated by a few good qbs and wrs but the only way to win a league for sure is to take players whose value is way above the round you took them in.
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:04 pm

skibrett15 wrote: The only way to make any sense of it would be to predict which players will score the most points.......relative to their average player at the position. But that's what we all try to do anyway.

no, it isn't
that's my whole point. There are people out there that will draft a Kevin Barlow or a Fred Taylor ahead of a Culpepper or an Owens because they're RBs and not QBs or WRs. It is ridiculous. Going into this season I had my projections and the only RBs I was going to take ahead of Culpepper, Moss, Manning or Owens were Priest, Ahman, LT and Alexander. Sure enough, none of those got to me in the 8th spot. I ended up not drafting a RB till the 9th round. I am now in first spot three games clear of the next guy and already claimed a playoff spot.
it's all about relative value...
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk