Notes from Browns-Bills Scrimmage - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cleveland Browns

Notes from Browns-Bills Scrimmage

Moderator: Football Moderators

Notes from Browns-Bills Scrimmage

Postby slowkidz » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:37 am

from a browns fan who attended....

Quarterbacks - IMHO - Tim and Kelly were a tie. Both looked good, both looked bad. Both scored, both held the ball too long, neither threw an interception, both got "sacked", both got laim calls for sacks, both looked in command. Kelly still releases the ball quicker, Tim is still more accurate. Kelly's throws to the sideline weren't strong enough and would have been easily intercepted by any veteran cornerback. Tim took too long to read a few long routes and allowed the cornerback to close instead of having a wide open WR. So...both have some areas to improve on (there's plenty of time). Both looked really good with the game plan, the plays, they looked confident.

Offensive Front Line - IF...and I mean IF...we intend to run the ball for more than 25 yards per game, they need to get their shit together and do it sometime very soon. I was very disapointed. For both Tim's and Kelly's first possession, the Bills DL owned our "significantly improved OL". Yeah, okay...it's just a scrimmage Don, but shit...Couch was huried, William Green couldn't run to save his life, Kelly got squished, and Jackson couldn't see any daylight. Our Red Zone offense was pathetic and we were unable to run the ball in from the 2 yard line on 4 separate sets of 3 plays each. That's 0 for 12 for those you counting at home.

Wide Receivers - Love Them!!! Every one of them....Who is the new #3 C.J. Jones and #5 Antoine Burns?!?! I like them alot. Burns showed no fear going across the middle. I haven't seen that kind of fearlessness (or stupidity - who cares) since Gary Clark played for the Redskins! We haven't had a serious "go across the middle guy" for a long time. Great job by KJ, Northcutt looked decent, Morgan was okay too. All around just fine.

Defensive Line - I thought they played very very well - and this was without Courtney in there. Gerard Warren made an early "sack" by tagging Bledsoe. He pointed to the Dawg Pound and then towards our bench in a cool kinda "yeah, this is what I'll be doing this year" way. The Bills had trouble running the ball all day, except for two plays where they broke a 12-yarder, we had their line controlled. Orpheus Roye had a very solid game too - he's going to be fun to watch. Lastly, a good show from Kenard Lang as well.

Secondary - Can we please just trade Daylon "my cushion is the size of Lake Erie" McCutcheon. To *anyone* PLEASE! There is talent in the second string and they were hitting, and they were diving, and they were staying with their man.

Linebackers - Thompson looked good when he went in. They all worked the run pretty fine. Need to improve their drop backs or we're going to see alot of dump passes to running backs and screen passes to the flats against us.

Game Ball - again IMHO, but I give it to - Andra Davis. When he was in, he was in on virtually every single tackle, every play, all over the place! Put him at Middle Linebacker and work the rest from there.

Fans - Good showing - a decent sized crowd. Some warm-up barking, good to hear. I really liked the Coach's Community Game - lots of underprivelaged kids got T-shirts and the end zone opposite the Dawg Pound - that's cool. Still too many jerks booing Tim Couch. I wish we could just export them to Pittsburgh. I hate people who boo, they suck, but I know - everyone's entitled to their opinion. But they still suck
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:48 am

Kelly Holcomb looked good during the Bills-Browns scrimmage Saturday and some think he took a step ahead of Tim Couch in their quarterback battle. ``I think Holcomb looked a lot better,'' Bills linebacker London Fletcher told the Beacon Journal. The fans, it seems, agree. They started chanting “Kelly” after he hit Kevin Johnson for a touchdown. He finished 12 of 16 for 164 yards and two scores. Couch supporters argued that although Holcomb looked good, he did it against the Bills' second-team defense. Couch finished 8 of 13 for 79 yards and one touchdown against the first-team defense.

It seems like the fans are starting to get behind Holcomb, and he is responding very well. It’s still too early to call, but another performance or two like this and we could have a winner.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby hayesb26 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:12 am

im sure thats exactly what slows hopin for homey :-D
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:20 pm

hayesb26 wrote:im sure thats exactly what slows hopin for homey :-D

hehe, yeah thats why I posted it here, like to get his hopes up :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Return to Cleveland Browns