Priest out for year??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Priest out for year???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Priest out for year???

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:45 pm

I read that his second opinion in Florida showed a grade 2 sprain which is a partial tear of the ligament - something similar to what happened to him in Baltimore. Sources "close" to him said that he was probably done for the year. Especially with the Cheifs out of playoff contention. Padre is a class act and I wish him the best, but fantasty gods be praised! I am in second place and the only guy ahead of me has Priest. Dang fantasy football - this is what it does to a person.......
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby goleafsgo96 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:49 pm

link??
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:51 pm

go to http://www.profantasysports.com and see the front page article.............
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby MeShawn » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm

Here's the article for the people too lazy to click on the link and find the article:

ProFantasySports wrote:Holmes Could Miss Rest Of Season
by Tony Finn, posted 11/18/04

Priest Holmes is in Florida today getting a second opinion on his sprained knee (The Chiefs are listing it as a grade-2 strain to the right knee). A grade-2 sprain is essentially a partial-tear in the ligament, and can either require rest or surgery depending on the individual and the situation. Coach Dick Vermeil said that Holmes getting a second opinion is no reason for alarm. "He's concerned because this is a thing he's done before (in Baltimore)," Vermeil said. "You just can't predict when it's going to heal enough to allow him to play."

That statement from Vermiel is coach talk for "I don't want you to worry you, but I’m worried."

According to sources close to the Chiefs running back, "My opinion is he won't play anymore this season. He (Holmes) says he had something like it in Baltimore."

The knee injury Holmes suffered in Baltimore before becoming a free agent acquisition of the Chiefs did require surgery.

If you were savvy enough to roster Derrick Blaylock then you get a replacement that will help ease the loss the Chiefs future Hall of Fame running back. Remember that Blaylock and Holmes are two different animals. Holmes is much more demonstrative in his running style and is capable of breaking tackles and finding the end zone like no running back in league.

Do not be surprised if the Chiefs tank the season and use more of Larry Johnson as the season moves forward. After Blaylock received 33 carries last week he came out of the game with a gimp knee and is subject to injury on any given play. If you participate in a deep league and have afforded yourself roster room for your playoff run this year consider stashing Larry Johnson on your bench. If the Holmes injury situation unfolds as described in this update, the Chiefs will have little choice but to not only use Larry Johnson, but will be given an opportunity to see what they actually have in the bruising running style of the Penn State grad.

Since Holmes' playing status for the remainder of the season is in doubt, and depending on your philosophy of "in good faith", you might consider shopping Holmes to an owner that is deep at running back and willing to gamble on Priest returning later this year. The Chiefs are in essence bankrupt of any post-season hopes, and without Holmes are a long shot to finish at .500 on the season. So there is little upside to rushing Holmes back into action if it risks further injury to his knee.

What I am saying is that I believe the Holmes source is correct when they verbalized Holmes’ playing status for Week #11, is actually his status for the rest of the season, "Doubtful."

It is worth noting that Holmes has in the past surprised us before, but those occasions had post-season implications on the line. That is simply not the case with the Chiefs this year.

There hasn’t been an official announcement on Holmes’ playing status, and the report from the Florida surgeon offering Holmes a second opinion on his injured knee has yet to be determined. But weighing the facts, the circumstances, and what is at stake if Priest Holmes played again this season simply for personal goals---tips the scales in a direction that makes Holmes’ return this year unlikely.

Not very optimistic...

From Yahoo:

Yahoo! wrote:Nov 18 Holmes' sprained right knee has shown little improvement over the last week, prompting the running back to travel to Florida to seek a second opinion. Holmes, who has been sidelined nearly two weeks, will miss Monday night's game against the New England Patriots, meaning Derrick Blaylock will get a second consecutive start. According to head coach Dick Vermeil, surgery still is not expected to be required, but a timetable for Holmes return has not been set.

Advice: Holmes, officially listed as doubtful on the Chiefs' injury report, will continue to rehab and strengthen the knee in hopes of returning as soon as possible. In eight games this season, Holmes has 892 yards and 14 touchdowns on 196 carries. Additionally, he has 19 catches for 187 yards and a TD

Another Yahoo update:

Yahoo! wrote:Nov 18 Holmes' sprained right knee has shown little improvement over the last week, prompting the running back to travel to Florida to seek a second opinion. Holmes, who has been sidelined nearly two weeks, will miss Monday night's game against the New England Patriots, meaning Derrick Blaylock will get a second consecutive start. According to head coach Dick Vermeil, surgery still is not expected to be required, but a timetable for Holmes return has not been set.

Advice: Holmes, officially listed as doubtful on the Chiefs' injury report, will continue to rehab and strengthen the knee in hopes of returning as soon as possible. In eight games this season, Holmes has 892 yards and 14 touchdowns on 196 carries. Additionally, he has 19 catches for 187 yards and a TD

Not too optimistic about Priest. Maybe returning for the fantasy playoffs, but probably not more than that. :-[
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:23 pm

Well hmm... Sorry to see one of the best RBs in the league go out like this. At least I picked up Larry Johnson, I might get lucky later on.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:24 pm

A chance the end of his career?

My voodoo finally worked, umm...err... :-]
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ricky_Christ » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:27 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Well hmm... Sorry to see one of the best RBs in the league go out like this. At least I picked up Larry Johnson, I might get lucky later on.

What do you expect Larry Johnson to do, or are you hoping for Blaylock to get injured?
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:31 pm

I picked up Johnson too. I don't know what KG was thinking, but I am hoping the Chiefs give up on the season and decide to see if their former first round pick is worth anything.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby biju » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:49 pm

Vlad the Impaler wrote:I picked up Johnson too. I don't know what KG was thinking, but I am hoping the Chiefs give up on the season and decide to see if their former first round pick is worth anything.

I picked up Johnson really to help secure my position on KCs backups. Really, I'm that desparate with Fred Taylor, Kevan Barlow, and Onterrio Smith as my "main three". I need Priest to go down like a $2 hooker so I can at least squeeze into the playoffs.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:56 pm

Yeah, you are pretty screwed. The way I look at it, anybody who drafted Priest had to take an average RB first (900 yds, 15 tds) and their next pick came 20th if they were lucky (depending on the size of the league). That really blows. Its the "disadvantage" of getting high draft positions. Injuries to your first pick can destroy your season a lot quicker than the same thing happening to somebody who drafts 10th.
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk