Are Head-Head leagues screwing you out of a championship? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are Head-Head leagues screwing you out of a championship?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Are Head-Head leagues screwing you out of a championship?

Postby AI8818 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:48 pm

Ive been doing some thinking and I just don't see how the head to head leagues honestly decide the "real" winner of each league. For example, if your in last, you could have just as many points as the guy in first place. The champion is based on schedule only, which, in my mind, is not the right way to do things. I just feel that a point system of some sort would be more accurate on who really has the best team.

-Is anyone seeing what Im saying, or am I just crazy. Lemme hear what you think! ;-D
AI8818
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chchelse » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:38 pm

I totally agree that the situation where a person with more points doesn't make the playoffs, happens quite often. Really just a case of playing the wrong team at the wrong time. In an effort to reward those who have good teams and put up a lot of points, we divide the winnings 50:50 betwen the playoff winners (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and total points winners (1st, 2nd, 3rd). The total points goes through week 17, so it keeps the season interesting until the end. Usually the playoff winners and the total points winners are the same, but sometimes another player sneaks in and gets some of the cash.
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby chchelse » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:39 pm

I totally agree that the situation where a person with more points doesn't make the playoffs, happens quite often. Really just a case of playing the wrong team at the wrong time. In an effort to reward those who have good teams and put up a lot of points, we divide the winnings 50:50 betwen the playoff winners (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and total points winners (1st, 2nd, 3rd). The total points goes through week 17, so it keeps the season interesting until the end. Usually the playoff winners and the total points winners are the same, but sometimes another player sneaks in and gets some of the cash.
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:21 pm

And I once again bring up this argument:

In the NFL, does the team with the most points at the end of the year automatically win?

Nope. As people say, "That's why they play the game."

Since I believe fantasy should mirror the real game as much as possible, I have no problem with head-head scoring. If you score more than the other guy, you win. Can KC do anything when they lose 38-35 when they scored more points than a lot of other teams did in other games?

I understand that is predicated on actual defenses playing, but it's the same principle. You play a team and see who scores more that week. Whoever does, wins.

If you want to play in a total points league, go ahead. Don't be distraught if you lose in head to head because that's how the game is played.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby chchelse » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:05 pm

C'mon Mercer, I've read enough of your posts to know that you've played FF long enough to know it's all about matchups, playing the right guys at the right time. There is no defense in FF. There is nothing you can do to limit the opposing teams score. It is in no way similar to the NFL. Example: the spread for points against in my league is 220 points. That means on average, one team is having 22 more points scored against him each week. What does that have to do with his team? They are both in the same 5 team division, so they each play the exact same teams, the same number of times. 22 points/game! That is just bad luck. In the NFL, if you had 22 more points/week scored against you, everyone would say your defense sucked. There is no defense against the opposing team in FF. Let's not kid ourselves, we are in no way mimicing the NFL. We draft our players, pick which ones to start and hope for the best. The true test of who did the best job each year is the person who scores the most points. Anything else is just luck.............
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby krazymop » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:54 pm

not necessarily chchelse. A smart FF player drafts based upon consistency. you may not have the highest score, but you win most of your games because your team is consistent. let's say one team has a few games where his players completely bust out, but for the most part is average. That player would have done the best job, simply because he has the most points due to a few fluke games? That doesn't make much sense to me. The player who was smart and drafted the consistent team will be the one who has won the most games, though not necessarily have the highest score.
krazymop
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 16)

Postby husker_fanatic » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:54 pm

fantasy football would be no fun anyways, you wouldnt even play games. which means you couldnt talk trash, which means you couldnt brag if you won.

HOW BORING!
husker_fanatic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:04 pm

krazymop wrote:not necessarily chchelse. A smart FF player drafts based upon consistency. you may not have the highest score, but you win most of your games because your team is consistent. let's say one team has a few games where his players completely bust out, but for the most part is average. That player would have done the best job, simply because he has the most points due to a few fluke games? That doesn't make much sense to me. The player who was smart and drafted the consistent team will be the one who has won the most games, though not necessarily have the highest score.

Totally agree here. Head to head leagues reward a consistent team. It's not just drafting either. You can work the wire to get players you need or matchups that look good over your other players in order to win in a certain week. It's that type of research that wins you leagues...not just the basis of a few players you have that tend to have huge weeks while the rest of your team lags.

Here is my personal experience. I've played head to head for 4 years, and I've never finished worse than 2nd. All of my teams have had consistent players without big names - no Mannings, no Moss's, no Priests...I did have George the first year when he was still the man though. But, all other positions had guys that always got tons of yards and a decent amount of TD's. This enabled me to put up an above average score every week. I didn't win all my games, but it basically forces the other team to score about 2-3 TD's more than my team to win. Since TD's are kind of fluky for the most part outside of the QB's and top players, I normally come out on top.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:19 pm

I think head to head leagues are by far and away better. You have one opponent to beat each week.

You concentrate everything on beating them. You don't need to put up the hightest points in the league everyweek (though who wouldn't want to) but you just have to outscore your opponent.

Playing some tough teams when you are shaky with bye weeks or riddled with injuries....that is great. I love that...Better yet, I love beating teams like that shorthanded.

I would be reluctant playing in a points league at this point.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:25 pm

You absolutely do have a defense in Fantasy Football.It's the same defense you have in any other aspect of your life.The best defense is a good offense.Build a better team,win more games.Didn't draft well?Make trades,pick up a sleeper WR.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk