Are Head-Head leagues screwing you out of a championship? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are Head-Head leagues screwing you out of a championship?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:42 pm

Head-to-head leagues are more fair than points leagues because you are always still alive with a decent record and a modest point total.

This way a couple of injuries that cause you to lose ground in the points race wont hamstring you for the whole season. A team that was leading in points with Randy Moss, Priest Holmes, and Leftwich would be screwed if the league winner were determined by points. Head to head is just more fun because you are still interested every week.
QB - Manning, Ben Roth, Campbell
RB - Henry, T Jones, D Ward, B-Jax, Betts, B Jacobs, Selvin Young
WR - Lee Evans, Colston, Driver, Cotchery, Brandon Marshall
TE - Heap
K - Elam
DEF - Chicago
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jwbseven » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:04 am

Mercer Boy wrote:And I once again bring up this argument:

In the NFL, does the team with the most points at the end of the year automatically win?

Nope. As people say, "That's why they play the game."

Since I believe fantasy should mirror the real game as much as possible, I have no problem with head-head scoring. If you score more than the other guy, you win. Can KC do anything when they lose 38-35 when they scored more points than a lot of other teams did in other games?

I understand that is predicated on actual defenses playing, but it's the same principle. You play a team and see who scores more that week. Whoever does, wins.

If you want to play in a total points league, go ahead. Don't be distraught if you lose in head to head because that's how the game is played.

well said
To achieve the ultimate reward you must be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice
jwbseven
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BGbootha » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:16 am

any given sunday!!!! I can't stand this argument from people pissed that they have the best team but not the best record.

Welcome to reality here. Like someone said earlier, the team with the most points at the end of the season doesn't win the superbowl. or even make the playoffs. Buck up and get over it. If you want to do something about it then quit complaining and win a damn game! :~( :-t

MB - Edited amount of crying emoticons. :-)
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby mah2002 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:47 am

bgbootha wrote: Welcome to reality here.[/i]

I thought this was fantasy football?
mah2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:50 am

I'm in 1st place in my league, but if someone in 8th, who barely makes the playoffs, beats me in the 1st round...so be it. Like Mercer had said earlier "that's why they play the game"
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:57 am

I like my baseball leagues roto and my football leagues h2h.

I think that roto baseball best conveys the nature of the sport -- a marathon.

h2h football best conveys the nature of that sport -- each week either team has a chance to win, regardless of prior record etc.

stop being a crybaby and make moves to maximize your chances of winning.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

GREAT TOPIC

Postby SteelCurtain61 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:46 am

This is a great topic and I enjoyed reading all of them. This year I got in my first real paying FF. And I was so happy to get in it that I didn't read all the rules before I paid up. Well its total points, and I DON'T like (I'm in 2nd place). The top 4 in our league are pretty close 1st is 90 pts ahead of me and 2nd-4th are within 15 pts 5th is 150pts behind me and it goes down fast from there. So what I see from total points is now we have a league battling for 2nd and 3rd. If you have a week (or two) where one of your big guys goes down in the 1st quarter and scores you no points that will be hard to make up. Key injuries will make it so hard to make up the points. Where as with head to head you loose that week or maybe squeak out a win and then wait for next week.
I guess my point is simply that with head to head you can a few bad weeks and still be in it. But I see what is said about the head to head side of the argument too. Last year I out scored my whole league by 200 points and didn't win the league, so I see.
BUT I LOVE FANTASY FOOTBALL EITHER WAY!!!
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
SteelCurtain61
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BMadd » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:22 am

I am in 2 $$ leagues. One is a head to head with play-offs, the other is points only. While I enjoy both, the head to head league is much more fun. And I have never won in that league, unlike the points league. I like my fantasy football to be played as the Colts and Vikings play theirs. All offense, very little defense, and head to head.
BMADD
BMadd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby AI8818 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:02 pm

But you gotta admit that lets say you get 161 points in a week, which is a lot. But the guy you play gets 173. Therefore, this knocks you out of playoff contention because you needed to win. Also, your team is much much better than the guy just lost to. In fact, the guy you lost to is last in the league and had only one good week, that one. Thats what Im saying is unfair. That you know you have the best team but you lose cause of a lucky week by the other person, even though your team did awesome.
AI8818
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby krazymop » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:13 pm

but if you drafted a consistent team to begin with, you wouldnt be in the position of having to win to get into the playoffs to begin with. thats the whole point.
krazymop
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk