Are Head-Head leagues screwing you out of a championship? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are Head-Head leagues screwing you out of a championship?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby FantasyFootball2005 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:41 pm

Head to Head league scoring is just like the real NFL (which FFB is all about). A team who mite have scored 35 points and lost one week where a team who 10 points won the same week, cannot complain and say well i should be ahead even tho i lost and scored more points. Its just the luck of the schedule in both leagues Fantasy and the real NFL.

New Year...New Team
FantasyFootball2005
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm

I like H2H. Gives you a chance to build a team during the season. I took a 2-4-1 team to 6-4-1 with four straight high scoring games.

I do like total points as a tiebreaker though. For example, in ESPN, H2H matchups are the first tiebreaker. So one unlucky week can ruin your season.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Challie » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:28 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I'm in 1st place in my league, but if someone in 8th, who barely makes the playoffs, beats me in the 1st round...so be it. Like Mercer had said earlier "that's why they play the game"

I love head to head, too, for a lot of the same reasons everyone has mentioned here.

But as for this 1st facing 8th thing, in my league with friends we instituted a home-field advantage in the playoffs - higher ranked team gets an extra 2.5 points. Not much, but just a little something to reward a good season.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LouisC9999 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:16 am

I had a CRAPPY draft (Deuce 1st, Vick 2nd, enough said) and started the season 1-4. So I slowly revamped my team and have gone 5-1 since then.

Among those five wins, there were three blowouts, a one-point win, and a four-point win. I could've won the sixth game if I hadn't benched Vick, Price, and Crumpler.

Anyway, I'm now in the thick of playoff contention with a 6-5 record and have the second-lowest scoring team in the league (although I've put up 113 (against the top team) and 114 the last two weeks). My team seems to be peaking at the right time.

I remember after the first blowout win of my streak, I made a comment about that win and a fellow owner wrote "You're excited about ONE good win??!!!" My response was "A streak always begins with ONE good win."

Points leagues don't provide this kind of drama and excitement :-t :-t
LouisC9999
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Commish » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:55 am

Head-2-Head & the ability to win any given week is what makes FF what it is. If you don't like the luck factor, play a points or roto league, give a point value in regardless to home-field advantage for the playoffs, make less playoff teams.

There are many ways to curve the luck factor (if you want to call it that) in fantasy football.

I've always thought the luck factor was what made fantasy football so I've always felt may the best team win.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CDNY1975 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:20 am

if u feel u are getting screwed in a h2h league cause u score a ton of points but each week u play someone who scores more then u, DONT PLAY IN H2H Leagues no more.....H2H is alot more fun & makes the games on sunday that much better, last season i was #1 in points & didnt make the playoffs it happens.....this season i am 7-4 3rd in points & League, but the guy with the 4th most points in my 10 team league is tied for the worse record 3-8...There are plenty of weeks in my league when the 2 highest scoring teams play each other & the loser would have beaten everyone else but the team they played IT HAPPENS, quit the crying or Quit playing H2H!!!!
CDNY1975
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FantasyFootball2005 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:10 pm

yeah the person who made this thread should quit crying ;-D

New Year...New Team
FantasyFootball2005
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby phunkadelic » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:28 am

All I know is I've got 585 pts in my big money league, most in the league. Next guy has 520.

I'm in 9th place out of 12 with no chance of making the playoffs.

I've never been of a fan of the H2H format, but I'm especially not too fond of it right now. :-t
phunkadelic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk