Julius Jones and the DAL O-Line - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Julius Jones and the DAL O-Line

Moderator: Football Moderators

Julius Jones and the DAL O-Line

Postby Ben_ffc » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:00 am

jones is due to return thanksgiving weekend at home against the bears.

i have not seen the 'boys play in a while, and am curious to know if there will be holes through which julius can run. will he even have a chance to thrive this season? what about richie anderson, rashard lee and eddie george? will they still be in the mix?

it seems that with witten and keyshawn, there are a couple reasons that defenses might not stuff 8-in-the-box.

what do you guys see jj doing upon his return?

bears
@seahawks
saints
@eagles
skins

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Julius Jones and the DAL O-Line

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 am

Ben wrote:jones is due to return thanksgiving weekend at home against the bears.

i have not seen the 'boys play in a while, and am curious to know if there will be holes through which julius can run. will he even have a chance to thrive this season? what about richie anderson, rashard lee and eddie george? will they still be in the mix?

it seems that with witten and keyshawn, there are a couple reasons that defenses might not stuff 8-in-the-box.

what do you guys see jj doing upon his return?

bears
@seahawks
saints
@eagles
skins

b

Well let's face it. Eddie George is below average. Far below average. Stick in an average RB and the Cowboys have much more success in the running game than they have with George.

Here's what I don't get. ReShard Lee only has 27 carries, but they sure were pretty good. Take Eddie George's BEST 27 carries and they probably aren't as good as Lee's. I think Eddie George would make a great fullback. If I were Parcells I'd drop the hammer and say "Eddie you're our new lead fullback". Eddie is a great pass blocker, has decent enough hands that could be a threat out of the backfield occasionally and with his toughness I'm sure he'd make a nice lead blocker for a tailback.

Parcells was quoted as saying he doesn't trust Lee in pass protection. Moving Eddie to FB and using more 2 back sets with him and Lee would alleviate that problem. Given the fact they only have 1 healthy WR, it's not like they are gonna be employing any 3 and 4 WR sets anytime soon. Makes perfect sense to me at least.

As far as JJ goes, all he has to do is be average and he'll be a lot better than Eddie has been. What that means specifically in terms of his production on Dallas combined with their schedule... who knows. The Saints are a good matchup, the Bears and Skins aren't. The Eagles are a good matchup for a team that can exploit their run weakness. Whether or not Dallas can remains to be seen. By my excel matchup scheduler, Dallas has the 4th hardest remaining run schedule remaining behind NYG, PIT and IND. However without BAL on the schedule which JJ misses, it's more like... 13th hardest run schedule remaining...

I wouldn't start JJ until Parcells showed a committment to running him 20 times a game regardless of actual result.

As far as the o-line is concerned, they are probably playing better than any of their RBs are. They get stuffed for no/short gain a lot and haven't been really good at short yardage pickups. How much of that can JJ fix....? Well that's what we're gonna find out.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:53 am

Despite their record I think the Dallas line has a lot of talent on it. Flozell and Allen anchoring the left side of the holes can be monsters. As long as they are playing hard.

I don't know how much of a factor Keyshawn will be, but Witten is their #1 target. That will hopefully help keep the linebackers and secondary a bit more honest.

The schedule looks somewhat favorable, but has some tough games too. That Seattle game doesn't look favorable, but really that and the Redskins games would be the ones I predict him to have the least amount of success.

He should do ok against the rest of them. Yes, even the Eagles. They have been somewhat susceptible to the run this year. The Bears and Saints I wouldn't worry too much about he should have the most success there I would think.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:28 am

Flozell and Allen are very good Olineman - as long as they are passblocking. Runblocking is a different animal, and honestly Dallas has shown over the last 2 years that they simply cant run the ball. Their D last yr allowed them to play a grind it out ball control style which ran the ball 32 times a game (4th in rush att, but bottom 3rd in ypc - 3.9). Obviously their D hasent held up their end of the bargain this yr, and Dallas has been forced into catchup mode for large portions of their games - of course this minimizes their rushing attempts (22nd in rush attempts so far this yr - 25.4).

What does this mean for Parcells Crew? If their D cant stop the pass (24th with over 230 per game allowed), then how can their O generate a running game when they are averaging the same ypc - 3.9 - as they did last yr? Hambrick, George, Julie, Lee - at this point it really doesnt matter.

Personally I think Lee would be the best option for them. As for Julie, Ive said over and over he is overrated and will not have a fantasy impact this yr. At this point, if Parcell decides to go with Julie, then we will see what he can do behind a poor runblocking line in a scheme that is forced to play catchup - not a great situation for a guy with 0 true NFL expirience outside of playing with the 2nd-3rd teams during preseason.

There is one type of situation that some may argue will work - and thats using Julie out of the backfield in a screen type approach. Unfortunately - as we discussed yesterday in the Tiki thread - screen plays only work well if the defense is blitzing - and clearly defenses have decided blitzing Dallas is the wrong tactic - DAL is 26th in sacks allowed (another testiment to good passblocking but poor runblocking). That means Ds are sitting back and playing cover 2 since their Oline isnt good enough to open big holes. This means a pass catching RB like Julie will have limited success in this system.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Ben_ffc » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:30 pm

cornmax called him, "julie." classic. ;-D

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:06 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Flozell and Allen are very good Olineman - as long as they are passblocking. Runblocking is a different animal, and honestly Dallas has shown over the last 2 years that they simply cant run the ball.

It should be noted that:
a) Dallas has had far and away their best success running to the LEFT this year (and apparently are one of the best in the league).

b) Dallas has featured Troy Hambrick and Eddie George in the running game. Not exactly guys who can take advantage of even average blocking. Give them Artose Pinner and their running game looks twice as good.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:06 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Flozell and Allen are very good Olineman - as long as they are passblocking. Runblocking is a different animal, and honestly Dallas has shown over the last 2 years that they simply cant run the ball.

It should be noted that:
a) Dallas has had far and away their best success running to the LEFT this year (and apparently are one of the best in the league).

b) Dallas has featured Troy Hambrick and Eddie George in the running game. Not exactly guys who can take advantage of even average blocking. Give them Artose Pinner and their running game looks twice as good.

point a) - KG, do you have a stat that tracks ypc sorted by what side they run behind? Also, what stats lead you to believe DAL is one of the best running teams in the league as long as they run behind the left side of their offensive line, or did I read that wrong?

b) - ooooh - what do you think we could get for Pinner? If DAL really wants him I bet we wouldnt mind dealing him ;-D

I actually agree with you that a faster back would do much better in DAL than the slugs they have put out there the last 2 years - however, I still claim that JJ isnt that RB. There will be high expectations for Julie next yr, and I am not going to jump on board yet. I still say it was a poor decision by the infallable Parcells.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby tomkatt » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:09 pm

4for4.com posted this from Cash Sirois on J. Jones:

Julius Jones is listed as out for this weeks game against the Ravens, but that could change. Jones has practiced both Wednesday and Thursday and Jerry Jones said Thursday that the team is still hopeful to get the rookie RB some snaps on Sunday. If you've got a roster spot that you can use to stash him away, he's worth the stretch.

The Dallas running game has been awful....and it's COMPLETELY the fault of the running backs. Dallas has only given up 15 sacks this year, with a stone-like Vinny in the pocket. Privately, coaches tell me that holes have been there in the running game. This offensive line has been doing a relatively good job.

But Eddie George, as I've been saying here since before the season started, is more done than an egg that's boiled for 40 minutes. Jones, much like Drew Henson, will be getting a shot this season, and he's in a better position to help your fantasy team.

The trade in which Dallas moved down to take Jones gave them Buffalo's first round pick next year. Which means, currently, that the Cowboys will have 2 picks in the top 10, MINIMUM! They'd like to find out if they need to think about a QB or RB in those positions. Obviously, they have gaping holes elsewhere, and finding out that Henson and Jones at least have the chance to succeed at this level, would help with draft evaluation next year.

Expect to see Jones get the bulk of carries just as soon as he can.....and just in time for your fantasy playoff run.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:02 pm

I never bought into the JJ hype before the injury, I certainly don't buy into it now.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:10 pm

yea hes worthless with anderson and eddie in the picture. could be a keeper though.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk