Julius Jones and the DAL O-Line - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Julius Jones and the DAL O-Line

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:40 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
point a) - KG, do you have a stat that tracks ypc sorted by what side they run behind? Also, what stats lead you to believe DAL is one of the best running teams in the league as long as they run behind the left side of their offensive line, or did I read that wrong?

Yes I do.
No you didn't. They have one of the best run averages running to the left. They are terrible up the middle and to the right. The exact opposite of Dallas would be Green Bay. Very good to the right and up the middle, terrible to the left.

Fortunately for Green Bay, 75% of their runs go up the middle or to the right. IE they know which way to run.

Unfortunately for Dallas, they don't know which way to run. They only run to the left 26% of the time.

Since you're a Detroit fan, I'll tell you what you already know and what you might not know.

What you already know.
They suck basically any direction they run.

What you might not know.
They aren't too bad running to the right, and they know it. 33% of the time to the right compared to 23% to the left.

b) - ooooh - what do you think we could get for Pinner? If DAL really wants him I bet we wouldnt mind dealing him ;-D

Send him to Tampa or Philly. Alstott is at the end of his rope and they will need a good short yardage/goal line back. Same goes for Levens.

I actually agree with you that a faster back would do much better in DAL than the slugs they have put out there the last 2 years - however, I still claim that JJ isnt that RB. There will be high expectations for Julie next yr, and I am not going to jump on board yet. I still say it was a poor decision by the infallable Parcells.

JJ ran a 4.4 at the combine. He's definitely one of the faster RBs in the 40.

Wasn't Parcells decision. The RB coach/offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon picked him. He picked Curtis Martin too who Parcells didn't initially want. Not sure how Parcells felt about JJ though. If they get the average 2nd round RB in JJ, he will be just what Parcells needed. He doesn't need Tomlinson, he just needs an above average guy who can carry a hell of a workload. That combined with the (looking to be very high) 2005 first round draft pick from Buffalo should prove to be a good move. Dallas gets two high first rounders in 2005 thanks to that trade and they are gonna need it. Bet you any amount of money they are both defensive picks.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:44 pm

Not sure how Parcells felt about JJ though. If they get the average 2nd round RB in JJ, he will be just what Parcells needed. He doesn't need Tomlinson, he just needs an above average guy who can carry a hell of a workload

That's the problem with Jones, he isn't durable at all, he never carried a huge workload at ND either.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shader » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:58 pm

Before we unanimously slam Parcells for picking Jones, let's give Julius a year or two. Yes, he probably should have taken Jackson, but Julius may end up being a better pro.

Also, trust me, Eddie George is not fullback material. And he has way too much pride for that anyway.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mad benjamin » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:52 am

KingGhidra wrote:

He doesn't need Tomlinson, he just needs an above average guy who can carry a hell of a workload.

I agree. Jones supposedly has good speed, a knack for finding holes and some pass catching ability. Not a first round pick, but maybe a solid second rounder a la Travis Henry. Someone indicated that because Dallas has George and Richie, JJ is worthless? You gotta be kidding. Their running game is non-existent, their season is down the toilet at this point and they need to see what they have in their young guys. JJ will likely be the man on Thanksgiving Day (or at least see some action) as they aren't likely to run out 2 30-something RBs just four days after what is sure to be a whuppin' by the Ravens. And if Reshard Lee were the answer, I think he'd have been used more.

I think JJ and Henson are being held off from starting against a vicious Ravens defense (no way to make your debut) and could see significant time next week. JJ's value may not be sky-high as he is not an LT, but would it be a reach to say he could easily be better than Barlow, Kevin Jones or Sammy Morris? Not murderers row, but at least starting RB material.

So, is JJ worth taking a flier on? Sure. Will he pan out? How could anyone know for sure until we see?
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Ricky_Christ » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:31 pm

I grabbed him off the waivers last week, but I'm not going to think about starting him until he shows me something. He is a consideration during the playoffs over Barlow for the #3 RB spot.
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk