learning its not always about points...priceless - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

learning its not always about points...priceless

Moderator: Football Moderators

learning its not always about points...priceless

Postby hastur » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:54 pm

I lead my league in points and I'm only 6-4. This is my second year in FF, and learning some profound lessons.

Lesson this year: the draft is important, yes. choosing who to play each week to optimize your edge, much more important.

Lesson next year: how to win gracefully....hahaha
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kanezfan11 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:57 pm

Yep, it's an evil system. I'm first in points and I'm in 4th place. I acquired some top players over the past few weeks so my luck should change.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:13 pm

I'm second in points in one league and 3-7 :-t
"It is unworthy of excellent men to lose hours like slaves in the labor of calculation, which could be safely relegated to anyone else if machines were used." - Leibniz
KolbSaves
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:14 pm

*7th in points but in 4th place* :-)
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby gatorman1122 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:10 pm

lesson no. 2
Luck plays a part in FF, just like Poker...Even professionals lose to rookies
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby marcusallen » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:25 pm

For the record:

1st in points, and tied for 1st in 12 man league. ;-D
Please help me with mine, thanks!

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=758243#758243
marcusallen
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby gtabaplayr » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:34 pm

Yeah there is some luck involved but it also depends on the type of players you have and their consistency on a week to week basis. Some guys have the Shaun Alexander reputation(in previous years) of producing much of their fantasy points in a few weeks which will carry you to a win but also inflate your point totals, since you didn't all of his points in that week to get the win. A team's scoring consistency is important because it gives you a chance to win every week, if your team is built with hit or miss players it is tougher to get those closer wins when you need everyone to get you points.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:55 pm

there is a ton of luck involved in fantasy... i mean we are all educated to a point, then its just a guess on who will do well and when. i can name lucky and unlucky things that happen on my team alone every week. the point thing is totally a luck situation when it comes to head to head...there have been plenty of times i play the ONLY person that scores higher than me and take a loss...thats just bad luck...or the guy that plays the only guy in the league that scores lower than him and gets a win..totally lucky. last year i finished with the highest points in my league, in 5th place..i felt really unlucky...this year tho i am the highest scorer again but in 1st ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:56 pm

first in points and rist in my 14 team league. cant say the same for the rest of the leagues.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gatorman1122 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:11 pm

Luck plays a big role, especially in touchdown leagues. It's easy to predict certain stud players to have 100 yds or so, but whether or not they get TDs depends on a lot of things. Just look at Jerome Bettis. His goalline TDs have made him more valuable than certain backs like Deuce Staley, Westbrook, Henry, Barlow, etc.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk