What exactly is a keeper league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What exactly is a keeper league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What exactly is a keeper league?

Postby Steelheads » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:03 pm

I was wondering exactly what I keeper league is? I assume I know the basic concept but no more than that.
Steelheads
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:04 pm

a keeper league is a league that continues every year with generally the same people. the league determines a certain number of players that you can keep from your team for the following year...say you have shaun alexander this year on your team, you can chose to keep him on your team for next year. some league determine that you can keep anywhere from 1 to all of your players. some leagues also only let you keep a player for a certain number of seasons. its a pretty fun way to play, and i believe it adds a lot more depth and strategy to the game ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tpetty6320 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:16 pm

our league lets you keep 2 players... one has to be a rookie, makes the offseason interesting
tpetty6320
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ricky_Christ » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:48 pm

We have a 3 man keeper league, but you can't double up at any position.

The only catch with a shark keeper league is that you have to move the trade deadline up quite a bit. People who give up on a season will make crazy trades trying to lock in on superstud keepers for the following year.
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby matmat » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:52 pm

Ricky_Christ wrote:We have a 3 man keeper league, but you can't double up at any position.

The only catch with a shark keeper league is that you have to move the trade deadline up quite a bit. People who give up on a season will make crazy trades trying to lock in on superstud keepers for the following year.

the solution to this might be rather simple.

have two trading deadlines. the earlier one is like normal, the later one is, again, like normal, but none of the players involved in trades after the first deadline can be kept.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ricky_Christ » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:11 pm

matmat wrote:
Ricky_Christ wrote:We have a 3 man keeper league, but you can't double up at any position.

the solution to this might be rather simple.

have two trading deadlines. the earlier one is like normal, the later one is, again, like normal, but none of the players involved in trades after the first deadline can be kept.

We actually tried something similar to that last year. The problem is my league is full of cheating, ruthless bastards. We don't declare our keepers until just before the preseason starts, and there was a lot of controversy about when certain players had been traded, it was a big angry mess.

Your idea would definitely work if you were playing with people you could trust, especially in a non-money league.
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Ditka in '04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:17 pm

what happens if someone quits the league, how do you replace them?
Go Bears, Ditka, and Italian Sausage
Ditka in '04
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby tpetty6320 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:30 pm

i play with a group of friends, 10 teams, and if someone leaves there is actually a waiting list of other friends that want in....
tpetty6320
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ricky_Christ » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:33 pm

Ditka in '04 wrote:what happens if someone quits the league, how do you replace them?

Generally you try to form a keeper league with old friends or serious sharks, people you can count on to be committed to FF & your league for many years. If you've formed a strong league, you can almost always find a replacement to come in for the quitter, transfering his team to the new owner in the offseason.

It's a much bigger problem if you want to expand a keeper league. We were thinking of making the transition this year from a 10 man to a 12 man league without a redraft. It's rough, but the new owners coming in just have to bite the bullet and carve a niche for themselves in a pre-established league.
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby matmat » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:46 pm

Ricky_Christ wrote:It's a much bigger problem if you want to expand a keeper league. We were thinking of making the transition this year from a 10 man to a 12 man league without a redraft. It's rough, but the new owners coming in just have to bite the bullet and carve a niche for themselves in a pre-established league.

Shouldn't be too hard. :)
You do 5 keepers? I'd just give them the first ten picks (total) and then draft as usualy with them getting the first and second picks, and then give them the 1 and 2 picks the year after. That should even it out, more or less.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk