Maurice Hicks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maurice Hicks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Maurice Hicks

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:11 am

Forgive me if there's already a discussion taking place on this matter, but what's everyone's opinion on Maurice Hicks? He's the 49ers RB that got some time in last week's game after Kevan Barlow got benched.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Commish » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:26 am

Barlow will be the guy in SF.

A poor man's Travis Minor?
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Killer Rabbit » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:31 am

The_Commish wrote:Barlow will be the guy in SF.

That's one opinion, and it may well turn out that way, but I'm not convinced that Barlow is "the man". He has done nothing with the opportunity he's been given, and aside from a good finish to last year has beem underwhelming for his career with a history of fumble problems. Hicks may not be the answer either but he did produce given the opportunity (something Barlow did not do). I have him stashed on my roster as a wait and see player(keeper league).
Death awaits you all, with nasty sharp pointy teeth
Killer Rabbit
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:34 am

guys Barlow is only 25 and Hicks is only 24. All Hicks has done this year is rush 8 times for 46 yards. So just cool your jets, and wait and see how things turn out with these guys.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:05 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:guys Barlow is only 25 and Hicks is only 24. All Hicks has done this year is rush 8 times for 46 yards. So just cool your jets, and wait and see how things turn out with these guys.

25 is starting to get old for a RB.

Maurice Hicks... Undrafted rookie out of North Carolina A&T. Oh joy. I guess he outperformed Barlow against Carolina, but it's hard to say what he really can do. SFO isn't getting much of a run game and since I don't see their games I don't know if it's Barlow or the o-line. At this point maybe you can say that Barlow is one of those guys who will only be as good as his line and can't make anything extra happen. Not exactly a terrible thing, but a type of player I avoid on my teams.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:55 pm

Apparently, Barlow is going to lose carries to Hicks. This just in at Fanball...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=f ... &type=lgns
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Keyser_WV » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:44 pm

Barlow is the man in SF no mater what that idiot Ericson says.

Ericson probably won't even be around next year so don't take anything he says seriously.

Barlow being 25 isn't too bad since he has split carries the last few years.

Barlow is a good RB. This is a horrible year for SF and I do admit his heart doesn't seem in it this year.

But lets be real here. Barlow is the main guy in SF. I think he will be much better next year once SF has some time to get a team together.

Barlow's value really depends on the team around him. He's certainly no LT who can excel on a bad team but put an average team together and I think he is a top 15 fantasy RB.

I wouldn't want to count on Barlow as any more than a #3 RB this year but I think he has value in keeper leagues.

I put Ericson and Tice as the worst coaches in the league.

This is becoming a rant so I will stop. Forget about Hicks.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CC » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:33 pm

The_Commish wrote:Barlow will be the guy in SF.

He must be broke.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby befo » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:46 pm

This is how I look at it. Hicks had a 35 run, but on 7 more carries he only had 11 yards, and this was against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL. I don't think Barlow will lose his starting job, but I do think Hicks will get a lot more opportunities.
befo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chaindog35 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:22 am

First, no Rb is getting old at 25. In fact most Rbs peak between 26 and 29. And some who are underused in their younger years bloom late, look at Priest. Hicks will spell Barlow and if he does well, he's going to stay in the game. at this point the 49ers are looking for any sort of spark. But let's face it, they are going to be playing from behind most of the time and thus will be throwing. So any SF Rb is going to be mediocre at best. Barlow is a good back IMO, but as Keyser said he is a guy who's value is tied to the rest of the team. The 49ers have very little talent except Barlow. He is the only weapon and as a result he is what defenses key on. Do i think hicks is good to stash? In a keeper or dynasty, sure stash him if you have bench space. In a redraft, he's probably worthless. Do I think he'll be the starter? not unless barlow gets hurt. Do i think barlow will ever be a top 10-15 back? Yes, but only if the 49ers surround him with an offensive lineup that has more weapons than just him. We'll just have to wait til the off-season to see if that happens.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk