Return to Philadelphia Eagles

Duce Speaks.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Duce Speaks.

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:48 pm

philadelphiaeagles.com
August 4, 2003
By DAVE SPADARO

Holdout running back Duce Staley issued a statement to the public via his web site, DuceStaley.com, explaining his reasons for missing the Eagles training camp.
Here's what the statement said:

"To my teammates, coaches, and Eagles fans:

"It's been exactly one week since the start of Eagles training camp, and no one is more upset about my absence at Lehigh than me. There's nothing I want more than to be back on the field with my teammates and friends on the Philadelphia Eagles. I've played my heart out for the Eagles the past six years. There's no other team in the NFL I would rather play for, this season and in the future, than the Eagles. It's very important to me that my team, my coaches, and Eagles fans understand this.

"That's why my decision to not attend training camp has been very difficult. I just completed the best year of my career and I am heading into the final year of my contract with the team. I was just interested to know how I fit into the team's plans in the future, including an extension that would have me finishing my career with the Eagles. Unfortunately, not one person in the Eagles front office has given me any idea of what the future holds for me as a player for the Eagles beyond this season. This has come as a real shock to me. After a while, you start to wonder what's going on. Why haven't the Eagles front office even tried to talk to me and see what my thoughts are on the subject of my future? The reality is that they have not asked what my goals are and what I am trying to accomplish as a key player for the Eagles.

"I know it might be hard for the average fan to understand why this is happening. Truthfully, it's hard for me to understand. My representatives asked the Eagles to talk about my future and my role with the Eagles, but beyond the initial discussion, there hasn't been any serious consideration about my future, and Eagles management has not reached out to discuss this with me. Let me make one thing very clear: it has always been my goal to finish my career with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"Even though it is frustrating, Eagles fans should know that I'm down here in Columbia working out 2 and 3 times a day, in the best shape of my life, but the reality is, I'm not with my team at Lehigh. This hurts me more than I could put into words. I have always been proud of showing up ready to work harder than anyone else. It's how I've always worked. To go against the standards I've set for myself has been very tough.

"I know the potential of this team, the threat to defenses all over the NFL with me, Buck, and Westbrook in the backfield, and I know how important chemistry is. I feel like I'm a big part of the chemistry the Eagles need to win. I want to get back on the field and do what I was born to do  play great football. And I want to bring home a championship to the City of Philadelphia  this season. But since Eagles management has not even given me the consideration of what my future is beyond this season, I'm left to question what I mean to the organization.

"My goals in deciding not to attend training camp are not to disrupt the team, not to put more pressure on my teammates, not to start this season on a negative. I only want the opportunity to finish my career with the Eagles and remain in the city that I truly love.

"Thanks for your support and understanding."

Duce Staley #22
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:21 pm

Ironically, extension or not, no contract is guarenteed in the NFL and he's more likely to be cut BECAUSE of this.

whattamaroon.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Franchise Fan » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:36 pm

Duce Speaks, NO one listens....

Well maybe just I dont listen, but it sounded good. :-)
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicGraphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Poobah » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:33 am

I know Buckhalter and Staley are supposed to be friends, but now Staley is Buckhlater's BEST friend....

;-D
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Return to Philadelphia Eagles