Probably giving Ramsey a taste of everything to see what works with him
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:34 pm

or because portis rushed 12 times for 20 yards so far.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benm3218 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:46 pm

Joe Gibbs is a senile moron. :-t
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby feverfive » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:34 pm

benm3218 wrote:Joe Gibbs is a senile moron. :-t

I vote for that reason......
feverfive
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:24 pm

So you think he should have kept feeding the ball to an overpaid, underperforming, medoicre product of the Denver running system? What could crazy coach Gibb's have been thinking benching a RB netting him a whopping 2.2 ypc. He should've given the ball 20-30 more times. Then he'd have gotten about 50ish total yards and been able to punt the ball back to the Eagles, a lot.

Portis is, has been, and from the looks of it, always will be overrated. Gibbs had every right benching him, as Betts couldn't possibly do worse.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby feverfive » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:01 pm

maddog60 wrote:

So you think he should have kept feeding the ball to an overpaid, underperforming, medoicre product of the Denver running system? What could crazy coach Gibb's have been thinking benching a RB netting him a whopping 2.2 ypc. He should've given the ball 20-30 more times. Then he'd have gotten about 50ish total yards and been able to punt the ball back to the Eagles, a lot.

Portis is, has been, and from the looks of it, always will be overrated. Gibbs had every right benching him, as Betts couldn't possibly do worse.

Nope, as in most things, it's not quite that simple. I'm not questioning Gibbs for not continuing to give the ball to Portis, I question Gibbs many other things. Chief amongst them is riding the dead arm of a QB who looked horrendous for 9 games previous to this one. In addition, I question the play calling. In watching this game, one would think Gibbs had a total of 5 plays in his playbook. How many WR hitch routes can you run? He's so predictable it's sickening. My high school coach was more imaginative. Oh, & BTW, why blame Portis who has had to face nothing but 8 & 9 man fronts all year b/c of Gibbs' aforementioned predictability & highly questionable decision to stick w/ mark Brutal for so long? Gibbs is a HOF coach for what he did more than 12 years ago. He should've stayed in NASCAR.
feverfive
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby vuch » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:35 am

portis is over rated, but not by much he is 6th in the nfl in rushing yards and he is washington's offense...portis has 3 100 yard games and all those games washington has won, if i were gibbs i would give portis the ball 35 times a game
vuch
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:04 pm

feverfive wrote:
maddog60 wrote:

Nope, as in most things, it's not quite that simple. I'm not questioning Gibbs for not continuing to give the ball to Portis, I question Gibbs many other things. Chief amongst them is riding the dead arm of a QB who looked horrendous for 9 games previous to this one. In addition, I question the play calling. In watching this game, one would think Gibbs had a total of 5 plays in his playbook. How many WR hitch routes can you run? He's so predictable it's sickening. My high school coach was more imaginative. Oh, & BTW, why blame Portis who has had to face nothing but 8 & 9 man fronts all year b/c of Gibbs' aforementioned predictability & highly questionable decision to stick w/ mark Brutal for so long? Gibbs is a HOF coach for what he did more than 12 years ago. He should've stayed in NASCAR.

I dont blame Portis for all of the skins problems, I dont blame Gibbs either. Like Parcells, he didnt inherit the kind of team he wants, he's going to have to build it. I do however point out that Portis did not live up to expectations.

Washington traded Champ Bailey for Portis. Champ is a shut-down corner. Maybe a handful of guys in the entire league are even comparable to Champ making him incredibly valuable. Portis, is averaging 4 ypc. Alexander, Faulk, Barber, Green, T. Jones, Levens, McAllister, Moore, Westbrook, the list of guys with a higher ypc than Portis in the NFC alone goes on. This is not even close to what Washington paid for, and undeserving of such a large contract that he signed. In that yes, I do blame him, for not meeting the expectations.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:29 pm

maddog60 wrote:Washington traded Champ Bailey for Portis. Champ is a shut-down corner. Maybe a handful of guys in the entire league are even comparable to Champ making him incredibly valuable. Portis, is averaging 4 ypc. Alexander, Faulk, Barber, Green, T. Jones, Levens, McAllister, Moore, Westbrook, the list of guys with a higher ypc than Portis in the NFC alone goes on. This is not even close to what Washington paid for, and undeserving of such a large contract that he signed. In that yes, I do blame him, for not meeting the expectations.

There's alot more to a running game than just the RB. Put Portis on Seattle and Alexander on Washington and I'm sure you'd be looking at very different results...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting