End of year - players to be concerned... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

End of year - players to be concerned...

Moderator: Football Moderators

End of year - players to be concerned...

Postby Gibbs_Wagon » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:51 pm

It's starting to get to the point in the season where I'm concerned about a couple of players for various reasons - the nfl team has already locked up home field, or the team has been eliminated. Feel free to add, agree or disagree. My league "tries" to get by some of this stuff by playing our last game on the 16th week - but even then, some nfl teams are already packing the reg season in.

Obvious - E. George & V. Testaverde - dump now, Boys are now playing for next year. J. Jones might be FF playable in a flex spot.

Pennington - If they can win without him, might they just shut him down? He wasn't lighting it up before hand from a FF perspective anyway. I'd consider dumping him.

C. Brown - When Tenn. becomes eliminated, with his Turf Toe thing, I'm very concerned they'll just bag him up in cryogenic ice for next year. I _really_ hope that he can play through it though. he still has name Recognition, so I might try pawning him off on somebody if your trade deadline hasn't passed

P. Holmes - there's already been speculation on the board that Holmes might be done for the year, esp if KC loses one more game.

R. Droughns - Denver might lock up a spot early, so why risk injury to your newly found stud, when you want to look at the T. Bell kid? I see a half time pull outs for him & maybe plummer the last two games. I'd still hold onto him.

Any of the Eagles - I sort of think that the last two or 3 games of the season, any ealges starter might be suspect to be taken out at half-time - notably: mcnabb, ownes, and westbrook. Not much you can do about it though..

Vikes, Colts, and Pats, are prob in sim. situations to the eagles. Interesting that they all have top FF qb's... coincidence?

A. Brooks/D. McAllister/Horn - I don't think NO will stop playing these guys, but NO is so bad right now, I'd be concerned about a look to the future, or a "ticky tack" injury that could put these guys out of action. Esp. concerned for Brooks now & beyond this season.

L. Tomlinson - SD might be in a fight for Home Field, so if he's fully healthy, i'd expect he'd play. But if that lingering injury keeps up, I could see him sitting out the last 1-2 games in prep for the playoffs.
Gibbs_Wagon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Favreboy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:55 pm

I'm curious why you say Droughns is gonna sit half games because Denver will lock up a spot early, yet you say LT2 should play because SD is in a race for home field, Denver and SD have the same record and are tied at the top, wouldn't they both be playing for the same thing, and NE and Pitt will have the top spots
Favreboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:05 pm

Regarding Pennington, we should hear today after he has his shoulder examined how much longer he will be out. As a Jet fan I hope he gets back soon because yesterday game was horrible. Carter holds onto the ball way to long.

I also disagree about Droughns sitting. Denevr and SD are tied so Denevr would be crazy to sit him down the stretch when they need wins to win the division.

I also don't expect the Vikings to be sitting players either as they are still chasing GB in their division.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:07 pm

I would probably remove the Colts from this list too.

They are only a game up in the division, and would likely make a run at home field advantage in the playoffs.

There are some tough teams in front of them in Pittsburgh and New England, but I don't see them conceding anything.

The Steelers still have to play Washington, NY Jets, at Jacksonville, Baltimore, and at Buffalo. All of those are going to be difficult to pull off wins.

New England's game tonight isn't a shoe in, despite the Chiefs record, and have Baltimore and the Jets remaining as well.

Sure seems the Ravens can be spoilers. Seeing, they also play the Colts in Week 15. Right during most of our FF playoffs.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: End of year - players to be concerned...

Postby BurnerD » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:09 pm

Gibbs_Wagon wrote:It's starting to get to the point in the season where I'm concerned about a couple of players for various reasons - the nfl team has already locked up home field, or the team has been eliminated. Feel free to add, agree or disagree. My league "tries" to get by some of this stuff by playing our last game on the 16th week - but even then, some nfl teams are already packing the reg season in.

Obvious - E. George & V. Testaverde - dump now, Boys are now playing for next year. J. Jones might be FF playable in a flex spot.

Pennington - If they can win without him, might they just shut him down? He wasn't lighting it up before hand from a FF perspective anyway. I'd consider dumping him.

C. Brown - When Tenn. becomes eliminated, with his Turf Toe thing, I'm very concerned they'll just bag him up in cryogenic ice for next year. I _really_ hope that he can play through it though. he still has name Recognition, so I might try pawning him off on somebody if your trade deadline hasn't passed

P. Holmes - there's already been speculation on the board that Holmes might be done for the year, esp if KC loses one more game.

R. Droughns - Denver might lock up a spot early, so why risk injury to your newly found stud, when you want to look at the T. Bell kid? I see a half time pull outs for him & maybe plummer the last two games. I'd still hold onto him.

Any of the Eagles - I sort of think that the last two or 3 games of the season, any ealges starter might be suspect to be taken out at half-time - notably: mcnabb, ownes, and westbrook. Not much you can do about it though..

Vikes, Colts, and Pats, are prob in sim. situations to the eagles. Interesting that they all have top FF qb's... coincidence?

A. Brooks/D. McAllister/Horn - I don't think NO will stop playing these guys, but NO is so bad right now, I'd be concerned about a look to the future, or a "ticky tack" injury that could put these guys out of action. Esp. concerned for Brooks now & beyond this season.

L. Tomlinson - SD might be in a fight for Home Field, so if he's fully healthy, i'd expect he'd play. But if that lingering injury keeps up, I could see him sitting out the last 1-2 games in prep for the playoffs.

Interesting Post. My thoughts...

- Agreed on Dallas. Julius Jones a good play if you need a 3rd RB.

- Pennington will start as soon as he comes back and for the rest of the season. He gives them their best chance to win, whether he's posting big numbers or not.

- I have the same concerns about Brown. If his toe improves how much he plays could very well depend on how much HE wants to play.. meaning if his contact is incentive laden he may puch to get back in.

- Holmes. This one makes me sick to my stomach. I hope he's not done, but I would put my money on him not playing again this year if the Chiefs lose next week.

- Droughns will continue to start and get many carries. As was pointed out in the previous post SD and them will probably be fighting for Div Crown rest of the season.

- Eagles .. I can see Westbrook seeing less action as the season progresses, but McNabb and Owens will keep getting heavy playing time. You want your QB sharp for the playoffs and TO's ego is too big to pass up any TD celebration opportunities.

Other top teams - Same reason as above. Manning especially will finish the season strong since he's going for Marino's record.

Saints - I can see Horn gettin some Pine time to heal up his injury.

Tomlinson - Will be used enough to keep winning.

I think you will always see RB's get more time off at the end of a season than any other skill player. They take the heaviest beating all year.
Reporter: "There's no I in team"

Leon: "Yeah, well there aint no we either"

TRUE
BurnerD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Gibbs_Wagon » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:54 pm

Favreboy wrote:I'm curious why you say Droughns is gonna sit half games because Denver will lock up a spot early, yet you say LT2 should play because SD is in a race for home field, Denver and SD have the same record and are tied at the top, wouldn't they both be playing for the same thing, and NE and Pitt will have the top spots

Both were mentioned because they are on teams that might lock up a spot early. Droughns has the T. Bell issue, and LT has an injury. Both issues 'concern me'. As for the difference, healing an injury vs. a "what can you do" kid stealing carries. SD seems to win, but not by huge margins. Broncos (Right now) seem to be just rolling over people.

To be honest, C. Brown concerns me most of all, as he's on my team, and turf toes just don't seem to heal quickly.
Gibbs_Wagon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Siggyfawn » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:06 pm

Gibbs_Wagon do you even watch the NFL?

*lol*

Denver got crushed by the Falcons a few weeks ago. Then blown out by Cinci? They aren't crushing everyone. Your memory goes back about 24 hours it seems.

And they are TIED for the division LEAD with 6 games left. When exactly do they lock it up? Even if they win 2, and SD loses 2, SD is still in it. Not to mention ever heard of something called home field advantage? They want people to come to Denver, since everytime they go on the road they get their ass kicked. Last year Indy rolled them like fat dogs. Denver will play EVERYONE and try to win every single game. They haven't won a playoff game in like 6 years.

Anyway when someone points out you're a moron, gracefully say "woops" and move on. Instead of talking about Denver rolling (they got crushed by cinci/atl and are 2-2 in last 4) and about teams that aren't even sole possesion of 1st "shutting down their top RB" to rest him. Bahahahahaha. They are 6th in the conf! Ever heard of a first round bye? HELLO? I'm amazed at how stupid people are.
Siggyfawn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ricky_Christ » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:30 pm

Assuming that SD keeps winning, do you guys expect that Tomlinson will remain in as a 3 quarter back for the end of the season, or will the Chargers actually sit him the last couple games in playoff preparation?

If the Chiefs lose another one, will Blaylock remain the starter, or will Larry Johnson get a chance to show what he can do in a few games?
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby saundman2000 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:34 pm

Say what you want about the players and teams that Gibbs_Wagon is talking about.... I think it shows intelligence just to bring up a topic like this.

I was just thinking about the same thing this morning... Are any of my players going be affected because of teams packing it in or locking it up at the end of the season.

I don't think there are any teams besides Atlanta, New England, Philly and maybe Pittsburg could possibly be in a comfortable enough to sit their starters.
I do think you have to consider that if any of these teams are in a blow-out game (like the Bears / Colts was yesterday) you surely could expect to see a Donavan McNabb or a Tom Brady coming out before the game is over.
=> The thing about this is that it is totally unpredictable and if it happens, they probably would have good numbers anyway. It's not worth benching them in your fantasy league because of this.

Where things may change is with the bottom feeder teams that will soon be out of contention. Here is where you may get wholesale changes in who starts at the skill positions. QBs who have been in all year may be benched like (Kurt Warner) in favor of guys who may be next year's answer (like Eli Manning). You might also see starting RBs who just haven't gotten it done benched in favor of guys that the coach wants to audition.
=> The thing about this is that the guys that are thrust into starting roles are playing for crappy teams who are in an experimenting process.

==>> The bottom line is that whether teams are packing it in or locking it up, I don't expect that it will change my mind about who starts for my fantasy football team. I might have guys that will be affected by this kind of stuff riding my bench right now, so they might just keep riding the bench. It shouldn't affect my starting lineup.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Chopper » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:47 pm

I don't seem to recall any teams giving players time off prior to Week 17 in past years. I'm sure there are some, but it seems we even got most starters playing in Week 17 (One notable exception that I remember is Denver last year, and look how well that worked out).

Does anybody identify teams that have a history of 'resting' players before the last regular season game? Any teams pre-disposed to this?
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk