End of year - players to be concerned... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

End of year - players to be concerned...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BurnerD » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:56 pm

Chopper wrote:I don't seem to recall any teams giving players time off prior to Week 17 in past years. I'm sure there are some, but it seems we even got most starters playing in Week 17 (One notable exception that I remember is Denver last year, and look how well that worked out).

Does anybody identify teams that have a history of 'resting' players before the last regular season game? Any teams pre-disposed to this?

I can remember some running backs getting the last week off to get fresh, but I don't remember too many instances at other positions.
Reporter: "There's no I in team"

Leon: "Yeah, well there aint no we either"

TRUE
BurnerD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ricky_Christ » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:15 pm

Chopper wrote:I don't seem to recall any teams giving players time off prior to Week 17 in past years. I'm sure there are some, but it seems we even got most starters playing in Week 17 (One notable exception that I remember is Denver last year, and look how well that worked out).

Does anybody identify teams that have a history of 'resting' players before the last regular season game? Any teams pre-disposed to this?

No, it's not really a regular occurance. My concern with LT is that his nagging groin injury may make him a special case. If they keep winning the Chargers may consider resting Tomlinson for 1-2 weeks to try getting him as close to 100% as possible going into the playoffs.
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ShowStopper » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:05 pm

Siggyfawn wrote:Gibbs_Wagon do you even watch the NFL?

*lol*

Denver got crushed by the Falcons a few weeks ago. Then blown out by Cinci? They aren't crushing everyone. Your memory goes back about 24 hours it seems.

And they are TIED for the division LEAD with 6 games left. When exactly do they lock it up? Even if they win 2, and SD loses 2, SD is still in it. Not to mention ever heard of something called home field advantage? They want people to come to Denver, since everytime they go on the road they get their ass kicked. Last year Indy rolled them like fat dogs. Denver will play EVERYONE and try to win every single game. They haven't won a playoff game in like 6 years.

Anyway when someone points out you're a moron, gracefully say "woops" and move on. Instead of talking about Denver rolling (they got crushed by cinci/atl and are 2-2 in last 4) and about teams that aren't even sole possesion of 1st "shutting down their top RB" to rest him. Bahahahahaha. They are 6th in the conf! Ever heard of a first round bye? HELLO? I'm amazed at how stupid people are.

It takes a big man to verbally abuse someone like that. :-t Hold your head high...
ShowStopper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:10 pm

ShowStopper wrote:
Siggyfawn wrote:Gibbs_Wagon do you even watch the NFL?

*lol*

Denver got crushed by the Falcons a few weeks ago. Then blown out by Cinci? They aren't crushing everyone. Your memory goes back about 24 hours it seems.

And they are TIED for the division LEAD with 6 games left. When exactly do they lock it up? Even if they win 2, and SD loses 2, SD is still in it. Not to mention ever heard of something called home field advantage? They want people to come to Denver, since everytime they go on the road they get their ass kicked. Last year Indy rolled them like fat dogs. Denver will play EVERYONE and try to win every single game. They haven't won a playoff game in like 6 years.

Anyway when someone points out you're a moron, gracefully say "woops" and move on. Instead of talking about Denver rolling (they got crushed by cinci/atl and are 2-2 in last 4) and about teams that aren't even sole possesion of 1st "shutting down their top RB" to rest him. Bahahahahaha. They are 6th in the conf! Ever heard of a first round bye? HELLO? I'm amazed at how stupid people are.

It takes a big man to verbally abuse someone like that. :-t Hold your head high...

I completely agree.Good post man,I was starting to think of these same things myself.Maybe all your points weren't dead on,but that's why we do this isn't it?To either give info on something,or get some if we can.Simply ignore the name callers and focus on the positive posts.Two points and I'll shut up.I also think Droughns will play alot being that he is truly a fullback,and not really the guy they want in there.They need to win now,and he gives them that opportunity,but Bell will eventually work into that spot.Concerns about LT should be eased after last Sunday's performance.He says he feels great,and it showed.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mo_sker » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:33 pm

Ricky_Christ wrote:If the Chiefs lose another one, will Blaylock remain the starter, or will Larry Johnson get a chance to show what he can do in a few games?

I don't see Johnson getting much work. Vermeil thinks he's still in diapers, and he has a penchamt for running into his blockers. Even getting a few carries when Holmes got hurt - he looked like he was pouting. It'll be Blaylock until Holmes gets back. I'd say if Blaylock goes down - look at Richardson.
mo_sker
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby tomkatt » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:39 pm

Ricky_Christ, I look at LT2's situation like this. I think he is hungry as hell to start putting up his usual numbers. Judging by the way he looked yesterday, I think he is in MUCH better shape than he was. I think unless he re-aggravates his condition, he will be out there regularly. The only caveat would be their in game situation. If the Bolts are killing or getting killed, I think it is only common sense they will want to rest him. Just hope for close games!
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:12 pm

Unless your Superbowl is in week 17, I wouldn't look for many NFL teams to rest too many of their starters. If a team is far enough ahead in their division that they have locked it up, more than likely they have clinched a first round bye. If that's the case, unless that team is completely decimated by injury, I couldn't see a coach wanting to affect team chemistry by not having their starters out there playing for 3 weeks. I think it's shown in the past that teams tend to lose some steam heading into the playoffs if they sit starters.

Guys I think that are cause for concern right now would be C. Brown of Tennessee and Priest Holmes. With both of their seasons toast as far as the postseason goes, I really think that if their injuries linger, the team will opt to shut them down for the remainder of the year just to prevent further injury.

From what I've read as well, I wouldn't be the least surprised to see Pennington not come back until very late in the year if at all this season. I've read that the injury is much worse than they are letting on and that surgery could be in the offing. This week could be critical as to what will happen with him as this is his first week back and throwing. Even if he makes it back, he's facing a pretty stiff schedule down the stretch.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk