The Anti-Houston strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Anti-Houston strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Anti-Houston strategy

Postby Anti-Houston » Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:05 pm

I'm thinking of playing the Anti-Houston angle for defense with San Diego providing me with 28 points and Dallas got 9 points against Houston.

This week Indianapolis is a junky defense against Houston. But Houston is junky too. :) Which would you play? What do you think of this strategy in general for each league?

League 1 (1 pts. per 10 yards rush/rec, yahoo defense scoring)
SD vs. Arizona (leaning towards this choice)
Indianapolis vs. Houston

League 2 (1 pts. per 20 yards rush/rec, yahoo league scoring)
Indianapolis vs. Houston (leaning towards this choice)
New Orleans vs. Chicago

In league 2, Ahman Green is benched so I'm looking for defensive TDs to bail me out.
Anti-Houston

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby SolarfluX » Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:08 pm

Play SD vs. AZ in your first league matchup, no doubt...

The second league is a bit trickier to decide on. IND still has a questionable D, while the NO-CHI game will probably be a defensive struggle, with lots of turnovers, punts and field goals.
HOU gave up a ton of sacks to SD, will IND be able to do the same? I doubt it.

Go with NO in your second league.

Regarding Green, did you pick up Rondell Mealey? If he's still available on the FA list, grab him and plug him in.
SolarfluX
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Arlo » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:01 am

In general, I like the idea of going with whichever defense is facing Houston. Over the course of the season, this startegy will give you great production from your defense spot.

Still, as SolarfluX says, that doesn't mean you should ignore other good matchups in any given week. I'd tend to go with the Colts in both your leagues this week, but it's a tough call. We'll have a much better idea of what Houston's offense can do after this next game...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kashikis » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:05 am

as for team 1 id play SD defense against arizona they will have a huge game

but as for the second one id play indy's defense against houston there's just too many variables in the NO Chi game this week
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

o.k. philosophy, but not great..

Postby dave » Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:19 pm

having played FF since the Jags/Panthers expansion and then with the Browns a few years ago, I had members of my leagues try this strategy. Here's the problem. You have to pick up a different defense every week which requires going to a free agent pool of mediocre to subpar defenses. Later in the year it gets tough to count on the expansion team offense to suck as they start to come together. Plus, a lot of the games are blowouts early, and a lot of garbage points are going to be scored, so you get a lot of 38-17 scores rather than 38-3. You are better off finding a good defense week in and week out and only exploiting the expansion team when your D is on a bye, or you can't seem to find a defense to perform consistently.
dave

Friendliness: %

Return to Football Talk