WHAT? Ricky Williams back in football. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WHAT? Ricky Williams back in football.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:40 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:dont forget...he will still have to serve a 4 game suspension if he comes back

You sure?

I thought this entire year was his suspension. why would they tack on another 4 games?

According to Yahoo he would be eligible to play in week 1 next year as he would technically serve his 4 game suspension this year...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer
November 23, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Ricky Williams will serve a four-game suspension beginning next month and then be reinstated with the Miami Dolphins by the NFL, according to his lawyer.

But the league says an agreement has not been finalized.

``I am pleased with the National Football League's proposal,'' attorney David Cornwell said Tuesday. ``I think Ricky will be pleased, too.''

ADVERTISEMENT
Williams must approve the deal, which would move him from the retired list to the suspended list for the final four games of the schedule. The running back is required to serve a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

After that, his contract with the Dolphins would be in force.

``Anything regarding Ricky's status is a league matter,'' Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene said.

``No agreement has been reached at this time,'' NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said, adding the league and Williams' representatives have been in discussions ``for some time.''

Williams, 27, retired during the summer, giving up the $5 million he would have earned this season, which would have been his sixth in the NFL, amid reports he faced the suspension for substance abuse. Williams is now about a month into a 17-month course at the California College of Ayurveda in Grass Valley, Calif., studying holistic medicine.

The Dolphins' season pretty much was ruined by Williams' sudden retirement. The star runner was the focal point of Miami's offense and the Dolphins, also ravaged by injuries, are 1-9 without him. They will have their first losing season since 1988 and Dave Wannstedt resigned as coach earlier this month.

The team filed a lawsuit last month in federal court against Williams after an arbitrator ruled he owes the team more than $8.6 million for breaching his contract.

Williams rushed for 3,225 yards in two seasons with the Dolphins, including a league-leading 1,853 yards in 2002. They acquired the 1998 Heisman Trophy winner in a trade with New Orleans after the 2001 season.

Throughout his career, Williams has been plagued by strange behavior, including conducting interviews with his helmet on when he was with the Saints. He suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for an anti-depressant. He said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using the anti-depressant because it didn't agree with his diet.

Williams found laughable reports he retired because he wanted to continue smoking marijuana.

cool, i didnt know that. good info :-) i cant imagine him playing for the dolphins when he comes back....heard anything on teams interested?
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:44 pm

What a baby, he even quit retirement.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:51 pm

http://www.miamidolphinsproshop.com/mai ... %203X%2D5X

I guess what we all assumed about the Dolphins organization being angry at Ricky is true...

Every other player's jersey is $65.99 btw...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby tomkatt » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:57 pm

Here is the latest I have on marijawanna man from 4for4.com:

23NOV04 Florida Sun Sentinel on Ricky Williams : The SF Chronicle reported that while he may change his mind, Williams has no plans to play again despite attempts by his agent and lawyers to pave the way for his reinstatement. Williams had toyed with the idea of emerging from retirement a few months ago but decided to change his career goals. Williams is studying holistic medicine at a small college about 45 minutes outside Sacramento. "I decided I don't want to do this," Williams said of playing football. "It's not worth it. I'm closer to being happy. I'm doing things that make me happy."
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The_Commish » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:57 pm

Free Bagel wrote:http://www.miamidolphinsproshop.com/mai ... %203X%2D5X

I guess what we all assumed about the Dolphins organization being angry at Ricky is true...

Every other player's jersey is $65.99 btw...

Sweet!!! I just ordered one.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Autumn Wind » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:37 am

If he does come back, I expect him in the S&B next year ;-D
Just win baby!
Autumn Wind
Water Boy
Water Boy

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby a4ce » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:52 am

Welcome back Ricky! See ya Tyrone. See ya Amos. See ya JR. Heeeellllooooo Ricky.
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Ricky_Christ » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:31 am

I heard that right now the Raiders were looking elsewhere. Any other teams where Ricky could likely wind up next year?
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:22 am

Ricky needs to DIE. (he retired 2 days after I drafted him...)(and he's a worthless child...)

That being said, I would have gotten a jersey, could I change the letters to POTHEAD. That would be sweet...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk