Seahawks Divison Champs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

Seahawks Divison Champs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby PatsFan77 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:27 am

Aside from WaltofStar (more like WaltofStupid ;-) ) attempting to get my bile rising, he does make a valid point. Several of the Patriots star players are or were from Washington colleges. However my original comments were on Seahawk fans which even a child can see has nothing to do with the state of Washington players. As for the under the table poke at the Patriots success or even lack of success in the Superbowl, at least the Patriots made it 3 times. Seahawks? They can't even get a ticket to see the big dance, let alone be asked to participate.

By the way waltofstar, the Seahawks paid someone a lot of money to design that new logo that you distastefully cropped. Perhaps you should get a smaller Avatar and be proud of the whole logo not just the eye!!

And Yoda, come on man use some of that force to jog that 900 year old memory!! :-)
PatsFan77
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby waltofstar » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:02 am

P.S. I forgot about Eaton, he's a Washington boy also (although I hate to admit that). Additionally, the eye of this logo is all the Seahawks will need to intimidate the Pats this year. That new run D would do nothing to the Hawks' pass O. Too bad we won't see it this year, the Pat's won't be in the dance - only 3rd best in there own division for pete's sake!
waltofstar
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:56 pm

OK PatsFan77. When you have had season tickets for 10 years, and hadn't seen a winning season (sorry '99 was a joke), and your tickets prices keep going up every year (I'm not talking a couple bucks a year, either)., and then Trent Dilfer was to be our saving grace?????? I wasn't going to throw money away to watch a losing QB, make my team eaven worse. Don't bring up that he lead Baltimore to the Super Bowl, cause the Defence CARRIED that team. All he had to do was score 10 points and the team would win.
Anyway I had great seats in the Kingdome, and was moved to nose bleed seats for Husky Stadium (same price), and then to have the same seats (as the Kingdome) for the new stadium, I had to pay at least double what I was paying, plus a Personal Seat Licence. That plus the Dilfer thing, made me watch them on TV. I don't make great money. I'm willing to pay for good seats IF there is an effort to put a commpeditive team on the field. With Dilfer there wasn't, IMO.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PatsFan77 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:59 am

PSL's are a friggin' crime! The Bears did that with the new Soldier Field. I also have never owned NFL season tickets, mainly because I have spent the last 6 years of my life moving around and being away from the only franchise I would buy season tickets for. Combine that with the fact that the Patriots season ticket waiting last is like ten years long, kind of defeats the point. I do however own season tickets to Chicagoland Speedway, not that it compares.

Nonetheless, I have been through a down streak with the Pats, even the 1-15 season. I would still give my left nut to go to a Pats game anywhere, anytime, and I would cheer and firmly believe that they will win, regardless of who the QB is.

Since WaltofStar and I work together, and since he constantly tells me I'm a bad fan because I lack the knowledge of what college some seventh round draft pick came from, I decided to see what Seahawks fans are really like.

Low and behold you give up season tickets because of 10 years of inept management. I am just wondering, did you have fun at any of the games? Did you go into the stadium knowing that your team would lose, or believing that they would win? You see I believe that the Patriots can beat every team, every week. Sometimes I am wrong, but I still believe they can win. WaltofStar says I am irrational because I think like this. WaltofStar in other posts has claimed to be a TRUE Seahawks fan, yet has stated that he believes the Rams will finish first. What kind of TRUE fan says that?

So I am sticking to my guns and asking, what kind of fans are Seahawks fans?
PatsFan77
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby awwchrist » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:27 am

First off you can be RATIONAL about your division and assume that your favorite team won't win it. I too think that the Rams will win the NFC west, have stated that the Seahawks won't win it this year, and yet I don't think ANYONE who knows me on this board would dare hesitate to call me anything less than a REAL fan of my Seahawks. I try not to sugarcoat my S#.t cereal.

No offense...but pointing fingers at other team's fans and questioning their loyalty is a paper thin arguement that really makes the accuser out to be more of an asshole rather than some member of the NFL "Elite". Question the guy all you want...but inevitably its on everybody's terms when they surrender their season tickets. And just because a few of us won't buy into this year as the "Year of the Seahawks" doesn't make us anything less of you.

Hell, 99% of NFL fans will never own season tickets..and anyone that HAS had them knows its becoming more and more of a financial pain in the ass (especially when the club moves into new a new stadium...).

I can't expect Patsfan77 to understand this...so let me explain it to you. The Seahawks have been wallowing in mediocrity since their inception...sans ONE year they went to the AFC Championship. Other than that..it's been alot of 7-9 to 9-7 years for as long as I can remember. In addition, the other professional teams haven't been helping the Seattle Fans hold their head up over much of anything. ONE Sonic championship and a LOT of recent years where they have been just plain bad. The Mariners have been extremely competative, but for some reason none of our homegrown superstars want to stay and how many WS appearences exactly HAVE the Mariners been in? Basically Seattle fans have been primed a long long while for the Seahawks to really take them where they want...

Ever since Holmgren got to Seattle it's been promises of punishing the opponents and the playoffs in turn. How many playoff appearances? One. And we kinda backed into that one with the help of KC the last day of the season.

Basically...we've been waiting and expected and been promised a lot!..with nothing to show. Tons of disappointment. All the meanwhile watching THREE worst to first teams win SB championships.

So yeah..I think this man can do and say what he wants. If he wants to kill his Season Tickets over what Coaching and Management have done, or in this case NOT done...then fine by me.

oh and btw..I live 180 miles south of Seattle and held season tickets for 4 years consecutive until I had my baby boy. Just wasn't able to swing every other weekend jaunts to Seattle with him in tow. So if you do my math in your equation:

I don't think my Seahawks will win the division

+

I got rid of my Season Tickets.

=

I must not be a real fan.

Right?
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hawk022499 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:03 pm

Good post Awwchrist, you shouldn't call out other people because you feel they aren't as "dedicated" to their teams as you think they should be. Even though I am looking into splitting season tickets with somebody and will be driving from Cincy, I guess I'm not a "real" Rams fan because I don't know Kurt Warner's inseam length???

Back to the original topic, Seattle is putting together a good solid team. Their defense may be their weakness right now but I see them making a strong run for the division title. I think the Rams are going to be a bit too much for them this year though. With Pace signed and Warner/Faulk looking good in preseason (healthy), I say the Rams take the division with the Hawks 2nd, 9ers 3rd, and the Cards pulling up the rear.

ps- I hope Seattle's offense is off the hook as I have Hasselbeck and Robinson on my fantasy team.
Hawk022499
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby SeaWolf » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:48 am

Was it a hard decision to give up my seaosn tickets, Yes it was. When I first got my season tickets it was '93. The season after one of the worst seaons in NFL history. I was single, and had just gotten out of the Air Force the year before. I had been on the waiting list for season tickets since '87 (there was an eight year waiting list in the '80s). Now I'm married, have a child, a morgage, 2 car payments. Season tickets just don't rate up there anymore with todays prioritys. If the team had givin me more bang for thier buck, then maybe, I wounldn't have boughten that last car.

I do go to one or two games a year. If the NFL would make tickets more affordable for familys, then I would think about it again. But $40 for tickets (x3) $120, parking $20, food $40 (guess) =$180 for ONE game. I use to be able to afford that, but not any more.

Now combine that info, with the team being only 67-77 .465 . Going through bad ownership (remember the team almost going to LA). Bad roster moves (sorry Dilfer sucks). Three head coaches. Four losing seasons, three .500 seasons, two nine win seasons, and one playoff berth. Not exactly Cincinnati, but not good either.

Do I think the Seahawks will make the playoffs, YES I do. Will they will the divison, well how good is SF and STL? We'll have to wait and see. WHEN the Seahawks make the playoffs this year, everyone will have to watch out, cause the defence will be a lot better by then, and you never know with todays NFL.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby waltofstar » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:39 am

Good to see posts above (except PatsFan77, hehehe). Yah, I work with the guy - and consider him a good friend. We rib each other a lot at work when it comes to our hometown teams. Our group seems to be a conglomeration of people from many parts of the U.S. (a lot of former military). When I call him a bad fan, it is for the most part tongue in cheek (although I don't understand why he doesn't even know who Mosi Tatupu is - hell I know the guy from watching the Seahawks play vs. the Pats back in the day). The thing that weirds me out about the guy is at the beginning of the NFL season, he has stated the Pats are going 16-0, and he is DEAD serious. What is funny is when the Pats inevitably lose a game, then suddenly he says they are gonna be 15-1 - again, serious - this continues the same 'til the end of the year. This, along with the 'Pat's will win every game regardless of who they play and what is going on' is where the 'irrational' word has come into play. Sadly, the above posts are his convoluted efforts to get back at me for making fun of him for his irrationality and lack of knowledge when it comes to the Pat's past (you can ask him about anything from the beginning of the Bledsoe era on and he will know - b4 that, not too much knowledge). He actually is a very good Pat's fan and it is sad to see I have spun him so easily! :-o
waltofstar
Water Boy
Water Boy

Ruffling of Seahawk fans feathers

Postby PatsFan77 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:18 pm

Wow!! Must of miffed a few people. I would love to reply to each of you individually, but that would be a lot of time, and since I am from New England I would probably say something stupid and insult all of Washington State. Be that as it may, I still have yet to get an answer to my question. Granted it is really a question directed at my very good friend, if not best friend, WaltofStar.

While awwchrist and CVHawk may think that I can't understand the basics of everyday life, such as should I diaper my son or watch the Hawks lose, I applaud them for making what must have been very disheartening decisions. However as a guest and an outside poster, when a few of the first posts I read are about a person ditching his tickets because a QB sucks or another guy who says he won't go back to a Seahawks game because of the coach, what I am to think? After all, even WaltofStar alledges his undying love for the Seahawks, but won't go out on a limb and make a prediction in an unknown forum that his Hawks might win the NFC West.

You talk about mismanagement? At least you aren't a Cardinals fan, or a Buccaneer fan? How many years did those poor bastards have to endure before reaching the top of the hill? You could have it worse.

If I may refer to NASCAR for a second, there are 3 different types of fans in NASCAR. Fan 1 loves the driver. He will cheer for that driver regardless of what he drives, or who he drives for, a prime example being Dale Earnhardt fans. Fan 2 loves the car. Regardless of the driver or sponsor, he will cheer for a Ford or Chevy all race long. Fan 3 loves the sponsor. He will cheer for that sponsor regardless of who drives the car or even what car it is. Neither of the above 3 types of fans are bad fans.

As I stated before, WaltofStar likes to my ire up by calling me a bad Pats fan. He asks me questions about the team, usually useless poop, like what college some 7th round, 4th string DE went to (Usually U of W :-) ). In return I compare NFL fans to those aforementioned NASCAR fans. Fan 1 likes the team. They don't care win or lose, they will cheer, and they will talk trash, and they will believe their team will win no matter what. Bear fans are like this, and they are ruthless too BTW!!

Fan 2 loves the game. Who cares whose playing!!

Fan 3 loves the players. He studies them, follows them can tell you a guys senior year in high school 3rd chemistry test grade!

All are good fans! And perhaps in closing of the last post I will make on this thread, my illustrious companion can recognize that regardless of how seriously intent I am that the Pats will go 16-0, or how his heart pulls for the Hawks, while his gut tells his brain St. Louis, we are both good fans. And we are deserving of some season tickets too! ;-D

So awwchrist, and CVHawk, and WaltofStar, and everyone else, don't nuke it out, root from home, root from Seahawks Stadium, just root! Don't mention St. Louis or San Fransisco, or even Arizona in a positive way. Tell their fans how much they suck, and even if you get egg on your face, like I have many times, come back next week and do it again. After all isn't that what being a fan is? ;-D
PatsFan77
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:16 pm

Am I a bad fan, cause I don't want to thow thousands of dollars away on a bad team. NO! I have rooted for my beloved Hawks since my early teens. Has this team made bad decicions yes, as a true fan I can tell you that. But I refuse to spend my hard earned cash on a team that was going nowere.
You can say the same thing about the Mariners. They were the laughing stock of MLB. But now they are the best. I don't mind blowing a chunk of change on them cause they are entertaining. The Hawks in the '90s were like the Mariners of old. They didn't deserve my money.
It's funny I bought tickets to the season opener, today. The guy at 1-888-NFL-HAWK, tried to sell me expensive seats saying I would be sooooo close to the action, and that it would be a nice day to watch some football. When I mentions I wanted tickets a little cheeper, on the upper deck, he said you won't get any sunshine up there. That's when I explained to him that the weather forcast is calling for temps in the '60 with rain. Even the Seahawk employees don't get it. BS all the way.
But anyway I will be at the game Sunday rooting for my Hawks.

GO SEAHWKS! ;-D
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Seattle Seahawks