Can it get any worse for the Bears? More injuries - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can it get any worse for the Bears? More injuries

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can it get any worse for the Bears? More injuries

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:10 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bears-browns&prov=ap&type=lgns wrote:
Veteran guard Ruben Brown will undergo neck surgery and miss the remainder of the season.

Brown, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection who started 136 games for the Buffalo Bills from 1995-2003 season, signed with the Bears as a free agent. He missed Thursday's loss to the Cowboys because of the injury.

Bears coach Lovie Smith said Friday the injury was similar to one suffered by defensive back/kick returner Jerry Azumah, who had surgery for a herniated disc in his neck in August and missed two months.

The Bears' injury list Friday also included offensive tackle John Tait (sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee), quarterback Craig Krenzel (sprained right ankle) and defensive tackle Tommie Harris (sprained right ankle).

Harris and Tait are listed as day to day. Krenzel, who was undergoing an MRI on Friday, is also out for an undetermined amount of time.

Smith would not divulge if the Bears would make a quarterback switch after Krenzel and backup Jonathan Quinn were simply inept against the Cowboys. Chicago had just 140 yards of offense.

But it sounded as if the Bears were ready to give No. 3 Chad Hutchinson a shot with nine days before they play their next game at home against the Vikings.

``We have an idea right now what direction we're going to go. By Monday we'd like to have him place,'' Smith said. ``And kind of go from there.''

Hutchinson was signed in September after starter Rex Grossman went down with a season-ending knee injury.

Not only are they starting QBs that couldn't even be a #3 on most teams, they can't field a healthy offensive line.

:-o
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby citti34 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:13 pm

They should pick up Ryan Leaf
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Frank Sinatra
citti34
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:36 pm

*Sob* :~(
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:40 pm

citti34 wrote:They should pick up Ryan Leaf

Yeah why not....everyone else has given him a try.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby gatorman1122 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:10 pm

hey, at least they have something good to look forward to in the future-NFL draft :-D
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:49 pm

fine with me. this season became a complete waste as soon as we lost Rex. lets keep the loses coming, we need mike williams.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:46 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:fine with me. this season became a complete waste as soon as we lost Rex. lets keep the loses coming, we need mike williams.

I think you should try to get a vet WR for Rex and pick up a WR in the 2nd round. It will most likely be 2 seasons before any top round WR pays dividends. Might as well look for a Keary Colbert in round 2. Of course, that leaves me wondering what would be good for Chicago in round 1.

It never hurt to have lots of good healthy olineman, I can tell you that being a Skins fan. A top TE prospect might be great for you guys offensively too.
:-b

As far as vet WRs go...

Well Harrison is the big well known guy.

Here's two sleeper not a FA but might get traded/cut in the offseason WRs for you.

Joe Horn

2005 is the last year of his contract and New Orleans might be looking to rebuild their team from ground zero. His $3.8M base salary figure might be more than the Saints are willing to pay for a 34 year old WR, but he'd be more than productive and helpful for a team like the Bears looking for a quick fix for 2 seasons while they bring some draft picks along.

Isaac Bruce

I doubt he leaves St. Louis but he's definitely going to have to renegotiate his contract for the Rams. His base salary in 2005 is $5.8M and for 2006 it's $6.5M. I would expect him to return to the Rams, but if someone came knocking with just the right offer, I could see St. Louis letting their future HOF go.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:19 am

KG, please tell me who would QB in your plan.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:33 am

34=Sweetness wrote:KG, please tell me who would QB in your plan.

I'm assuming it would be Grossman.

I do share KG's concern in terms of where else they would go top 10 if they didn't go WR. I see big needs at CB and OLB for them, but Rolle and Johnson will likely be gone by their picks, and I don't see any other people at those spots that would warrant a top 10 pick.

Williams would give them a franchise WR, and I think that's more what they need then a one or two year plug-in guy on the downside of their career like Bruce or Horn.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Jeff George to the rescue!

Postby Confucian Scholars » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:50 am

Your QB problem is solved! The Bears are signing Jeff George! (I am not a troll, this was just reported as a fact in the news.)
Sure, the former Illinois legend hasn't played in 3 years but he'll look real sharp in that retro orange uniform.
Confucian Scholars
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk