More Edge News - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

More Edge News

Moderator: Football Moderators

James risk/reward player

Postby mnheadliner » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:46 pm

What will he do this year? He will either dazzle you and return to form or he will depress you and sink your team. Not much inbetween here. Plus, I think the other backs will see some goal-line work that will cut into his carries. Watch the preseason clos on this one.

True risk/reward pick.
mnheadliner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Orange and Blue » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:40 pm

I'd say never take a risk pick with your number one. I'm staying away from Holmes this season for that very reason. When all the rest of my team falls to pieces, I want at least one player making me big numbers consistantly. Get some money in the bank first before you start gambling it- that's what the second round is for.

I'd take him over Faulk in a heartbeat, though.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Waikele Waverunners » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:47 pm

I'd go with alexander, if only because of schedule strength. Seattle has the 2d to easiest at 31 and indy has the 14th or so.
Waikele Waverunners
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ousmagic » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:24 pm

he is a very solid late first round, early 2nd round pick but the mid first round seems a little early to me
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby tjhksig » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:20 pm

Orange and Blue wrote:I'd take him over Faulk in a heartbeat, though.

After comparing the seasons they just had, plus the fact Edge has had major knee surgery, how do you take him over Faulk?
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ousmagic » Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:08 pm

u still have to be scared of his lack of touchdowns last year
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby pfphlyerz » Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:09 pm

tjhksig wrote:
Orange and Blue wrote:I'd take him over Faulk in a heartbeat, though.

After comparing the seasons they just had, plus the fact Edge has had major knee surgery, how do you take him over Faulk?

GREAT QUESTION! Something that has to be taken SERIOUSLY into consideration when deciding on the Edge.
Standard Scoring, NO PPR
pfphlyerz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby culboarder » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:22 am

yeah...YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE AN IDIOT TO TAKE JAMES OVER FAULK!!! answer me this when was the last time faulk was healthy and was not the #1 FF running back??? Id take him #1 easily.
culboarder
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:38 am

culboarder wrote:yeah...YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE AN IDIOT TO TAKE JAMES OVER FAULK!!! answer me this when was the last time faulk was healthy and was not the #1 FF running back??? Id take him #1 easily.

I don't expect Faulk to e ver be the player he once was. Edge shouldn't be among the first 8 RB taken. If it comes down to Faulk or Edge, there is some risk with easch. James wasn't ready last year. It was only 9 months since his injury. Players do not come back that quick. Edge's supposed health issues vs. Faulk's chronic knee problems. Seems like a push to me. Edge and Faulk were consensus top 2 picks a couple years back. Either could regain their status, but I think Faulk's continuing problems make him a riskier pick, but with a higher reward if he returns to his former self (which I doubt).

Ricky Williams was labelled an injury risk, this year he is a top 2 pick. I don't lend much to a player getting injured once or twice in his pro career (assuming he doesn't hurt his knee twice). A player like Fred Taylor obviously has proven to be an injury concern to his owners. Faulks chronic knees should be a concern. Priest re-gaining his form is an issue, but a fading one. Ricky dislocating an elbow and spraining an ankle are not injury issues.

Any knowledgeable player should have known Edge was a BIG risk to have a good season last year. He should not have been out there so soon. I think he has a good chance to rebound and score 10 TD's.

If it comes down to Edge or Faulk at pick 8 (assuming Ricky LT Portis Priest Duece Shaun Henry are gone), you either have to take a chance on one of them, or go for a WR or QB.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:46 am

I got him with the 4th pick in the 5th round of my 8-team league, how's that for a steal?
Ben

Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk